‘62 Slingerland Black Sparkle snare

A_T_P

Reaction score
Not sure of the model name, but here’s a nice 6-lug black sparkle Slingerland snare for sale. Stamped Oct 62. I’m no expert, but it looks all original minus heads and snare wires. The rims may be brass, but I can’t confirm that.

The wrap has shrunk leaving some bubbling,cracking, and seam “separation” in the wrap as seen in the photos. Strainer and muffler function smoothly.

Let me know if you need any additional photos.

$350, and I’ll take care of the shipping (within the US only).

Attachments

jmetatual

Reaction score
Hello A_T_P, what is the serial number of this drum?

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sling 6-luggers were Student models. They never came with Zoomatic strainers.
But the interior photo shows what look to be original holes/nuts & bolts, at least since there don't seem to any extra holes. Curious....

jmetatual

Reaction score
Sling 6-luggers were Student models. They never came with Zoomatic strainers.
+1 with EvEn. A Rapid strainer would be expected, two fasteners vertically ~2-1/2" center to center. Is that an extra hole between the two upper Zoomatic fasteners? A better picture would help.

A_T_P

Reaction score
I’ll be happy to take the strainer off if need be!

jmetatual

Reaction score
Quite the oddity. This isn't a 13" snare by chance? Most of the attributes of this drum are consistent with the stamped date (Oct. '62). Serial number is as expected. Interior ply, muffler, lug fasteners, Zoomatic and butt are all era consistent. Zoomatic fine tension knob is not original but that is not uncommon. COB hoops would be expected (easy to check with a magnet).

A_T_P

Reaction score
Quite the oddity. This isn't a 13" snare by chance? Most of the attributes of this drum are consistent with the stamped date (Oct. '62). Serial number is as expected. Interior ply, muffler, lug fasteners, Zoomatic and butt are all era consistent. Zoomatic fine tension knob is not original but that is not uncommon. COB hoops would be expected (easy to check with a magnet).
14” diameter for sure..and you’ll have to excuse me, but is the fine tension knob on the strainer the knurled round part? I’m very foreign to this era of Slingerlands! I really appreciate all the help and insight everyone…constantly learning.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, what we have here is basically a Deluxe Student that appears to be factory drilled for the Zoomatic strainer and Leedy butt. Hey, this was Slingerland and anything was possible! Maybe a special order? So, yes, this drum is and oddity...but pretty cool! I'd love to see this drum up close and personal!

-Mark

A_T_P

Reaction score
So, what we have here is basically a Deluxe Student that appears to be factory drilled for the Zoomatic strainer and Leedy butt. Hey, this was Slingerland and anything was possible! Maybe a special order? So, yes, this drum is and oddity...but pretty cool! I'd love to see this drum up close and personal!

-Mark
Thank you! Quite the oddity indeed! I’m wondering if I should hold on to this one.