“At Home” performance with local high school orchestra

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fun stuff - and a little test run of my remodeled room…

My daughter in law is the string orchestra director at one of the local high schools. And of course given our current situation - teaching high school orchestra at this time amounts to a bunch of individual video lessons and putting together You Tube type performance pieces. Things for the players to work on, then get some satisfaction in seeing it all come together.

Anyway, this selection of music from Han Zimmer’s “Man of Steel” score ended up being the last piece of this school year. Kind of a "big finish" with Jessica enlisting a few players from the school’s concert band to handle the brass parts and… me.

Basically I re-worked the existing school orchestra percussion arrangement to also include drum set (like the Zimmer original) and had Jess help me with doubling up the Zimmer-esque “hordes of toms” (principally an oboist, she did a stint playing quads in her high school days).

I also volunteered to do the mix as this ended up being a lot more parts/tracks than she’s used to dealing with. For those doing their own audio stuff - I’ll just comment, my God, what a chore trying to make an orchestra this small (particularly the strings) sound… at least, not quite so small without resorting to sample reinforcement. Which we didn’t do at all BTW - everything in the mix was played live in front of the cameras/cell phones/etc.

Anyway, absolutely fun stuff for me.

Hope you enjoy it…

David

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fun!

Whomever did the video, did they get signed releases from any juveniles, parents? Youtube/etc has pretty strong rules involving minors. If the video is public, and "made for kids", it's best to set the video to "made for kids", which, this isn't. I own a company that provides schools with online music programs, I've been down this road many a time. Just a heads up, you/her, whomever - cover your back.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I find the previous comment curious in that there seem to be quite a few youth orchestra performances on YouTube.

Attachments

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fun!

Whomever did the video, did they get signed releases from any juveniles, parents? Youtube/etc has pretty strong rules involving minors. If the video is public, and "made for kids", it's best to set the video to "made for kids", which, this isn't. I own a company that provides schools with online music programs, I've been down this road many a time. Just a heads up, you/her, whomever - cover your back.
Thanks for the head's up. This has been discussed and run by the school district, which had no concerns about it. As for YouTube - looking at the "made for kids" criteria - according to YouTube "How old is a kid? The age of a "kid" in the United States is defined as anyone under the age of 13." - these are all high school students and the target audience is for them and their parents. So I don't think there's a problem on the YouTube front.

As for general liability - I'm of the belief that posting a video of anyone without a release might not be a good idea - and yet I'm on tons of YouTube videos that I never signed a release for. So I get that best practices aren't always that commonly practiced. And the life of a high school music teacher - who has also had to suddenly become digital content provider, audio mixer, video editor, etc. etc., - is one of limited time and resources.

But regardless, thanks again for the heads up - I really do appreciate it.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the head's up. This has been discussed and run by the school district, which had no concerns about it. As for YouTube - looking at the "made for kids" criteria - according to YouTube "How old is a kid? The age of a "kid" in the United States is defined as anyone under the age of 13." - these are all high school students and the target audience is for them and their parents. So I don't think there's a problem on the YouTube front.

As for general liability - I'm of the belief that posting a video of anyone without a release might not be a good idea - and yet I'm on tons of YouTube videos that I never signed a release for. So I get that best practices aren't always that commonly practiced. And the life of a high school music teacher - who has also had to suddenly become digital content provider, audio mixer, video editor, etc. etc., - is one of limited time and resources.

But regardless, thanks again for the heads up - I really do appreciate it.
Yeah, I've dealt with school boards that said "everything is fine", before. Then a parent made a huge issue, and all hell broke loose. I will never just take the words of any board, from personal experience. If so, have their legal department provide a waiver, waving you, or whomever created the production (entity responsible), of any liability. If it's "all good", this shouldn't be an issue. I now require any of the school boards we deal with (which is many), to collect signed releases from all enrolled students parents/guardian. You live in the land of the lawsuit, I wouldn't even think about doing such things without appropriate protection/measures.

RE: Youtube. Those types of videos (like yours), are generally made for family and friends, lots of which are under the age of 13. Which, still leaves you open to negative consequences from COPPA. This is one of the major issues with COPPA, the grey areas, and having content providers "parent". Imo, it's better safe then sorry, and set it for "made for kids". We have students from K-12, but every video we put onto Youtube is set for "made for kids", just to be on the safe side. Unless Youtube is your livelihood, you really don't lose much by having it set to "made for kids".

Good luck!

TRstix

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the video! You did a good job. I’m sure it isn’t easy. You made that small orchestra sound pretty big! I guess there aren’t any high school drummers for her to enlist - at least not under the current circumstances. You, your daughter-in-law and the students should be proud.

My wife is singer/songwriter and has done a couple of online group performances. It’s fun to see the finished product and how it all comes together. I don’t know how to do it, computer-wise, and I bet my computer is too old, but I’m sure it takes lots of work.

Again, good job!

By the way, I thought you might be interested in knowing that our band, well my wife’s band, did a show in tribute to Burt Bacharach in February. We did about 10 or 12 of his songs. It was lots of fun!

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Expansive and powerful . Roto toms are irreplaceable for some figures . Well done, pops !!

Star Wars meets a Fistful of Dollars .

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
Fun stuff - and a little test run of my remodeled room…

My daughter in law is the string orchestra director at one of the local high schools. And of course given our current situation - teaching high school orchestra at this time amounts to a bunch of individual video lessons and putting together You Tube type performance pieces. Things for the players to work on, then get some satisfaction in seeing it all come together.

Anyway, this selection of music from Han Zimmer’s “Man of Steel” score ended up being the last piece of this school year. Kind of a "big finish" with Jessica enlisting a few players from the school’s concert band to handle the brass parts and… me.

Basically I re-worked the existing school orchestra percussion arrangement to also include drum set (like the Zimmer original) and had Jess help me with doubling up the Zimmer-esque “hordes of toms” (principally an oboist, she did a stint playing quads in her high school days).

I also volunteered to do the mix as this ended up being a lot more parts/tracks than she’s used to dealing with. For those doing their own audio stuff - I’ll just comment, my God, what a chore trying to make an orchestra this small (particularly the strings) sound… at least, not quite so small without resorting to sample reinforcement. Which we didn’t do at all BTW - everything in the mix was played live in front of the cameras/cell phones/etc.

Anyway, absolutely fun stuff for me.

Hope you enjoy it…

David

- Very nicely done. Love the T shirts.