“Better” Mid Level Bop Kit

goodcat1337

Reaction score
So, I’m ready to pull the trigger on a bop kit, and I have it narrowed down to 2 kits.
Sonor AQ2 in WMP, or PDP Concept Classic in Oxblood.

I can get either for basically the same price. The Sonor has a snare, which I don’t really care about, and the cymbal arm. But I absolutely love the finish and wood hoops on the PDP.

I’m not a jazz player, so bop sizes for me is more about space. I feel like the PDP is gonna have more of a vintage tone with the hoops.

Idk, I’m torn still. Any hands on experience with both? Any advice? Thanks

Edit: forgot to mention, I play mostly indy, rock, modern worship, etc so I’m gonna be trying to tune as low as I can.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sonor AQ2 is the winner for me. I’d use the snare as a snom beside the floor tom. You can get a modern tone out of the shells or tune them high for jazz. The PDP is nice and you really can’t go wrong either way.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
another vote for AQ2. The Sonor seems classier, more high end. Also a little pricier, I think.

I really dig the titanium sparkle... I think it is a sprayed on finish (what do we call those nowadays? We used to say Lacquer), and not a wrap. VERY cool!

aq2_titanium_1024x1024.jpg

goodcat1337

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
I did end up ordering the Sonor kit. It was an open box item from Sweetwater. So I was able to get it for $695 and free shipping. I was leaning more towards that kit anyway, it was just the finish and the wood hoops of the PDP that caught my eye.
I’ll be sure to post some pics and sound clips once they get here.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Virtually zero vintage drum set drums came with wooden hoops, so why would anyone think a wood hooped drum set would have a more " vintage" tone?
And exactly what is a "vintage" tone?
Krupa's Slingerlands? Ringo's Ludwigs? Max Roach's Gretsch?