“Dragon’s breath”

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This has the dragon breath sound to me.
The crash of doom is Z's version of a beat-up Chinese-made cymbal Dennis Chambers found, so this would fit with dragon's breath repreetning a "Chinese" sound chracter. Zildjian's general sound to my ear doesn't have a lot of that trashy element, but with the Oriental series Z managed to introduce it in some of their cymbals. These days they seem to embrace it even more with the re-designed Special Dry series and some other models.

clowndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
a Hand hammered 20" Thin with an extreme bow (umbrella-like) will froth all over the place.. to the point where there is not only no mids but no lows either. Upper end frost only.
Had 20" Reuther Taiwan 20 like that . Also most recently had (seller demo below) a low weight 20" New Stamp ---> all and only upper frequencies. That is called "all frosting no cake" endemic of many (majority of) low weight New Stamp 20's.

I keep a 2009g 20" New Stamp K and it has a balance of mids lows and highs. So what a difference" 200gs can make between thin cymbals. There's a threshold where, if bowed and thin, the result is all highs. The lows were inadvertently either hammered or knocked out. Inadvertently of course. I could get NO lows from that cymbal --> because there weren't any--> they were defeated (unintentionally) "by" the particular peculiar build -all frosting no cake build sound.

The extreme bow profile seems to support a much higher chance of having this sound imo.

Latest posts