“Midnight Special “

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Camco's are well represented , an adolescent Andy Newmark on Slingerland (?)Gretsch (?) with Sly

Midnight Special was one of the few shows you could cop licks off of and check out gear without going to a concert or a bar . yeah, great stuff, thanks .

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
...like a greatest hits station from the period.
And then one night, some public school boys from Surrey, England brought their black lights and their mellotrons to Hollywood and introduced their 12-string, Lewis Carrollian prog to the living rooms of middle America.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And in the first few years of the show.........all of the bands played live!

Midnight Special and In Concert were "not miss TV" for me as a teenager.
In Concert - far better. Real concerts. Three bands stretching out over 90 minutes. I mainly remember M. Special as lip-synced cheese, comodifying creative rock music into Top 40 bits. But I don't want to ruin anyone's sweet adolescent memories, nor challenge their aesthetic du jour.
Rock Concert seemed to be more of a balance of lip-synced and the real. And for some reason, always seemed to have T-Rex! Yeah!

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And then one night, some public school boys from Surrey, England brought their black lights and their mellotrons to Hollywood and introduced their 12-string, Lewis Carrollian prog to the living rooms of middle America.

M. Special gets major, major points for this, though I can never recall seeing anything this valid (as art)...was this early on? I would think anything this "outside" and deep would have made the suits demand the lip-sync portion control style.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In Concert - far better. Real concerts. Three bands stretching out over 90 minutes. I mainly remember M. Special as lip-synced cheese, comodifying creative rock music into Top 40 bits. But I don't want to ruin anyone's sweet adolescent memories, nor challenge their aesthetic du jour.
Rock Concert seemed to be more of a balance of lip-synced and the real. And for some reason, always seemed to have T-Rex! Yeah!
I totally agree with this. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and ABC's In Concert were far superior. I was a teen all through the 70s, and back then The Midnight Special was regarded by peers and myself as lightweight drek, with the occasional respectable act slipping in IF they happened to have landed a Top 40 hit. I seem to recall Helen Reddy as host, which alone would put off any serious music devotees. That said, the production values were usually good (even though a lot was lip-synced), and they built up a helluva period piece collection over the years that it was on.

Lest I continue to sound like a grumpy curmudgeon, I admit to now possessing the complete Midnight Special DVD collection... The irony! :lol:

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
Remember the simul-cast? I loved the show. Watched Tom Snyder until it came on. Franki Valli had trouble hitting the high notes, but still great to see. Ace

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
My adolescent memories have very little intellectual depth , but they did tie " bolts of lighting to my head " and I can't think of anybody capable of either challenging or ruining them .

Last edited:

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to agree to the curmudgeonly assessment of the Midnight Special versus Don Kirshner's Rock Concert or ABC's In Concert. I regarded the Midnight Special as sort of the equivalent to Solid Gold. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert had cooler acts. I remember watching Deep Purple on that show as a kid. I was loving every minute of it!

Last edited:
Reactions: JDZ

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My adolescent memories have very little intellectual depth , but they did tie " bolts of lighting to my head " and I can't think of anybody capable of either challenging or ruining them .
All right, BennyK., cool!

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Totally badass, and absolutely live! Again, I watched the show a ton, hoping for good stuff but missing too much like this and the Genesis clip someone else posted.

They hit overdrive on what I'll call the shout chorus. All were singing, and we dig the Walnut Lacquer Camcos.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I didn't realize that they lip synced - the drummer for Golden Earring played the whole song with a Billy Gladstone pad on his snare drum.
The drummer for Goldem Earing used that pad live when he played Radar Love. Saw them open for King Crimson around '75.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have to agree to the curmudgeonly assessment of the Midnight Special versus Don Kirshner's Rock Concert or ABC's In Concert. I regarded the Midnight Special as sort of the equivalent to Solid Gold. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert had cooler acts. I remember watching Deep Purple on that show as a kid. I was loving every minute of it!
But, there is a huge difference...they were still playing live on the Midnight Special and Solid Gold was all lip-syncing. I think that both Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert were awesome. Real music performed by real people. We've lost a lot since the 70s!