“Midnight Special “

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Totally badass, and absolutely live! Again, I watched the show a ton, hoping for good stuff but missing too much like this and the Genesis clip someone else posted.

They hit overdrive on what I'll call the shout chorus. All were singing, and we dig the Walnut Lacquer Camcos.
I'm sure that's a 14 x 61/2 Rogers COB Powertone he's got there .

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I totally agree with this. Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and ABC's In Concert were far superior. I was a teen all through the 70s, and back then The Midnight Special was regarded by peers and myself as lightweight drek, with the occasional respectable act slipping in IF they happened to have landed a Top 40 hit. I seem to recall Helen Reddy as host, which alone would put off any serious music devotees. That said, the production values were usually good (even though a lot was lip-synced), and they built up a helluva period piece collection over the years that it was on.

Lest I continue to sound like a grumpy curmudgeon, I admit to now possessing the complete Midnight Special DVD collection... The irony! :lol:
I guess the grumpy curmudgeon forgot about the time Weather Report with Jaco Pastorious was on the Midnight Special!

Other notable Midnight Special alums: ELO (four times), Cheap Trick, Heart, Rick James, Ted Nugent, Robert Fripp, Thin Lizzy, Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers, Prince and Olivia Newton-John.

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess the grumpy curmudgeon forgot about the time Weather Report with Jaco Pastorious was on the Midnight Special!

Other notable Midnight Special alums: ELO (four times), Cheap Trick, Heart, Rick James, Ted Nugent, Robert Fripp, Thin Lizzy, Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers, Prince and Olivia Newton-John.
My point being: how many episodes did you have to wade through to cherry pick those?

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I remember seeing this as an young lad! Still love the NY Dolls.
My older brother used to keep me up on Friday & Saturday nights to watch this, ABC's In Concert, and Don Kirschner's Rock Concert.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
But, there is a huge difference...they were still playing live on the Midnight Special and Solid Gold was all lip-syncing. I think that both Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's Rock Concert were awesome. Real music performed by real people. We've lost a lot since the 70s!
That's a valid point for the current appraisals of music on TV in the 70s and 80s (lip-syncing now being unacceptable). But back then, it didn't matter to my 12 year-old eyes & ears. I just wanted to see my favorite rock bands on TV. I knew American Bandstand was all fake; didn't care about the late-night "concert" programs - they were as close as I could get, at the time, to attending a concert.
But yes....now, when I watch these great clips, I really appreciate the live performances. One of them was Journey, performing Wheel In The Sky, on the Midnight Special. Aynsley Dunbar, Greg Rolie, Ross Valory, Neal Schon (we called him "Neal Schnozz" back then), and the new singer, Steve Perry, doing it all live....one of my favorite clips ever.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My point being: how many episodes did you have to wade through to cherry pick those?
...and my point, to add, being: How many of those good bands were live vs. lip-sinkin'? I can't imagine Weather Report anything BUT live. But the rest of 'em could've been ripe for the cheesifyin'.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score

Thanks for that - always loved that tune. Why did they wait to the last 4 bars to show Alex Acuna??

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have sort of a different slant on these shows. One night I walked up to my guitarist at the time and we both looked at each other after a performance on Midnight Special on a night when we weren't working...which was rare. We were doing roughly 325 shows a year at the time. I rarely saw home. We both knew that something was over but we weren't sure what. I don't want to sound self centered but we were right. Yes there were clubs in the 80's but the 70's were smoking...pick an agent and go.

The same thing happened when I was in a strictly function band for 10 years..and guys started spinning records or playing tapes. It hurt us big time except for those DJ's who actually sent us work. I'll admit it was good seeing some of these because they were live.

Tedd

Reaction score
One of Midnight Special’s oddest moments.
That was Fripp's 2nd appearance on The Midnight Special - King Crimson was on the show in 1973, I believe that they played Larks Tongues In Aspic Part II. I don't know why the video of Crimson hasn't surfaced, but I did see a photo of them with Wolfman Jack.

Last edited:

drumdevil9

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
KISS before their uber-fame. The black Pearl kit was only used for this performance and we see why at the end. :bom:

Old Dog

Reaction score
I've been enjoying these this week on YT. My buddy actually hooked me up with some dvds, never watched them. Not sure why. But I will definitely have to break them out and see which ones he gave me. Good stuff. I enjoyed Heart, Jim Croce. . .

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's the audio
That was Fripp's 2nd appearance on The Midnight Special - King Crimson was on the show in 1973, I believe that they played Larks Toungues In Aspic Part II. I don't know why the video of Crimson hasn't surfaced, but I did see a photo of them with Wolfman Jack.
Here's the audio of LTIA part II from the Midnight Special.

Latest posts