“New” Rogers B&B Lugs ?

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How well do the new Rogers B&B lugs fit? I don’t know that I have seen a definitive answer. Thought I read that the holes need to be enlarged for a wood shell. Anybody have experience with these?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Haven't used them but some of the guys on FB Rogers group have said minor slight hole adjustment may be necessary. Manufactures spec 1 5/8 centers same as originals but who knows that could be a metric 1 5/8 :)
Jp2's are still my favorites, much closer to originals in design and appearance. And I like to pay a lot for my lugs!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the designer/manufacturer of the "new" BB lug didn't make it a perfect fit, then that wasn't a very good decision. Who wants to spend $30 per lug and still have to modify the shell? From what I've read even the Ludwig early small lug is an exact fit.

In any event I've read numerous threads on this subject and don't recall even one user suggesting that the repro BB's didn't fit fine as is.

Last edited:

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the designer/manufacturer of the "new" BB lug didn't make it a perfect fit, then that wasn't a very good decision. Who wants to spend $30 per lug and still have to modify the shell? From what I've read even the Ludwig early small lug is an exact fit.

In any even I've read numerous threads on this subject and don't recall even one user suggesting that the repro BB's didn't fit fine as is.
http://www.drumforum.org/threads/vintage-rogers-lugs-vs-reissue-lugs-beware-of-hole-spacing.157579/#post-1734130

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
In any even I've read numerous threads on this subject and don't recall even one user suggesting that the repro BB's didn't fit fine as is.
Actually, there have been a couple of posts on this, and, if memory serves, the lugs have issues on metal shells, which are thinner than wood. The new lugs have a screw boss, whereas the old lugs had the flat (and weak) tab. Again, my memory may be off here, but there has been some discussion on the forum about it.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks guys. So it sounds like Ploughman has used the new lugs with no issues. I will reach out to him.

JPtrickster I am with you and am a fan of JP repros. Closest thing to original. I have the standard size on one snare and the large on another. Both drums are collectible and merit the JP cost.

However, I am considering a player and wondering if the “new” may not work. I don’t wish to enlarge or alter the holes though.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't like the design of the old B&B - why make a lug that could break?? As a newbie to vintage Rogers, and building a wood "Powertone" tribute snare, I had the option of doing the reissue B&B or beaver lugs, and I went beaver since the design is less flawed and I like the look better. I bought reissue lugs from Rogers and they fit into my COB Dyna shell perfectly so I don't think there is a fitment issue, but I don't know as to new B&B's. Of course, I drilled all new holes so the lugs fit my wood shell perfectly, and I used the rubber gasket that came with the reissue lugs as a perfect template.

I think I bought one thing from JP2 before - a 50's Radio King clamshell arm - it was worth it - but the lug prices are thru the roof. Thankfully, the reissues now exist and I got them on Reverb for like $9 each (8 of them) and free s/h from Chicago Drum Exchange. I will say that the reissue beaver lugs, though, are slightly thinner and lighter so they do feel a little cheaper than real vintage beavers and that may also be the same for reissue B&B lugs. I don't know if JP2's lugs feel/weigh "right" but if they do, that may be worth the extra dough to some......

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
JPTrickster, most of that link refers to reproduced Beavertail lugs. There is one mention of snare drum BB lugs that do fit up well. No mention of how they might or might not fit on toms. I read some old threads on those who supposedly used the BB repro's on entire early Rogers' kits. So I'm a bit confused now.
I listed one example on that thread from ploughman (read link) it mentions the b&b lug boss having to be shaved to fit the hole in a cob shell. I was giving just one example that the lugs may not fit properly.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't like the design of the old B&B - why make a lug that could break?? As a newbie to vintage Rogers, and building a wood "Powertone" tribute snare, I had the option of doing the reissue B&B or beaver lugs, and I went beaver since the design is less flawed and I like the look better. I bought reissue lugs from Rogers and they fit into my COB Dyna shell perfectly so I don't think there is a fitment issue, but I don't know as to new B&B's. Of course, I drilled all new holes so the lugs fit my wood shell perfectly, and I used the rubber gasket that came with the reissue lugs as a perfect template.

I think I bought one thing from JP2 before - a 50's Radio King clamshell arm - it was worth it - but the lug prices are thru the roof. Thankfully, the reissues now exist and I got them on Reverb for like $9 each (8 of them) and free s/h from Chicago Drum Exchange. I will say that the reissue beaver lugs, though, are slightly thinner and lighter so they do feel a little cheaper than real vintage beavers and that may also be the same for reissue B&B lugs. I don't know if JP2's lugs feel/weigh "right" but if they do, that may be worth the extra dough to some......
They only look like the old lugs. They aren't designed like them, so you don't have the tab that breaks. They would be nuts to use the old design.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
They only look like the old lugs. They aren't designed like them, so you don't have the tab that breaks. They would be nuts to use the old design.
The exact same design with the tabs and all. Much stronger than the original drawn brass, JP’s are steel.
I’ve used many with excellent results.

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
The new lugs have screw bosses, which require the holes in a wood shell to be enlarged a little bit. This would also be true of a COB shell. The hole spacing of the lugs is correct.

The problem with enlarging the holes, is that there is a factory-installed metal ferrule in the bottom hole. It is easy to push out, but after the holes are enlarged the ferrules will no longer stay in the holes - which would only matter if the owner wanted to put original lugs on the drum at some point in the future.

This was discussed in some threads last year.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
On my "Powertone" tribute snare, which is an old Luxor shell, that had the ferrules - I forgot about that. Yes, once the hole is enlarged, bye bye to those things. I didn't use them on my build (that is nearly done!)......

And from the pics I see online of the new Rogers B&B lugs, they have inserts on the ends so it's not just a tab. Thus, it looks "right" only from the outside......

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Now I'm confused. I'd read they had bosses, but JP says tabs. Is this Rogers vs JP creations?

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
The.new ‘Rogers’ lugs have bosses. They are cast.
Jp2’s repro’s have tabs like the original. They are pressed steel

ThePloughman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used the New Issue Rogers Bread and Butter Lugs first on a 1962/63 Powertone wood 5x14. Drum number 1196. Removed the Ferrules. Installed the lugs. No issues.
Next was a COB Holiday Seven Line from 1961 with the Premier Throw. I know there were some earlier restorations which reamed the lower hole out to match the upper hole on the shell. I did not want to do this. I removed the portion of the lug boss that is outside of the lug casing. I installed the lugs using Cleveland Beavertail era Cup washers. No other adjustement was required. No issues in the year since.
Third drum (so far) is a 1961 Dyna-Sonic wood 5x14 in Sky Blue Ripple, drum number 1036. Removed the ferrules. Installed Lugs. No adjustment.
Gaskets were used on all three installs..
I have Jim Petty BB lugs on 1961 Dyna-Sonic 5x14 COB number 1171, no adjustments were necessary.
Also on a 1962/63 Tower 5x14 (wood), drum number 1671. The JP lugs perform perfectly, I had no centering issues with them at all (reason for the big/little holes in the shells) That kind of surprised me. I think the originals were rather "loose" in their fit and required a good bit of tweaking to make them hang straight.

Both lugs are excellent choices. I do not believe Mr. Petty is currently making any, nor has plans to do so.

Jack McFeeters
ThePloughman

Last edited:

ThePloughman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
DSCN4434.jpg DSCN4434.jpg Modified New Issue Lug....see reflection

DSCN4676 (2).JPG Dyna-Sonic 1036. Yes. Throw and hoops are incorrect, but they are Rogers. It was like that since 1969.

Last edited:

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The.new ‘Rogers’ lugs have bosses. They are cast.
Jp2’s repro’s have tabs like the original. They are pressed steel
Gotcha. I should have been clear I was referencing new build Rogers. Got to give credit to JP2 for keeping it original.

Latest posts