“Wanted” scammers — a Public Service Announcement

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Multiple times over the past couple of years, we have seen reports of new or relatively new members sending PMs based on threads in the Wanted section.
They usually look something like this:
You can check with Alexander I think he might have one he is willing to sale pm him
alexanderjackson123 at gmail dot com
Sometimes this person will name the exact item you have asked for. They pretty much always give you some email address for their friend who has your item, and will even send you pictures of it.

Bottom line: If you get a PM from a new user telling you to contact their friend who has the item you want, don’t respond and report it to us. Thanks.

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jeremy,
thanks for the head’s up. Your warning is timely.

I received that very same email yesterday claiming “Alexander” had the 1980,s floor tom legs and parts I was looking for except “Alexander’s” email was different.

Bullet dodged.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I also received a similar email notification, and it was then deleted off the DFO server by someone other than me.
Yes, when a spammer is outed and banned, their messages are deleted automatically. Hopefully it keeps more people from getting taken, which is why it’s important to report it if you see it. Thanks!

GrandfatherOdin

Reaction score
I received a PM from Mikeaela saying that exact message a few days ago. The pm was deleted on the site, but it still showed up in my email.

jptrickster

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can usually tell who your dealing with just by doing a little research by clicking on thier handle. You can see how long they’ve been here as well as any posts and content they have made. I typically only deal with those I know or have a good long standing rep on the site.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine being so morally bankrupt or devoid of a skill to make ends meet that stealing is your best option? And then they get called out and fail 95% of the time at that to. I’m sorry Mods if this post is inappropriate but I have no patience for a thief.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW this scam is known on other forums too, I guess we're lucky we don't see it as often as places like TGP:

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
People that have nothing good to contribute to other people are on the wrong path in this life.

bharrington

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really sad! Same happened to me unfortunately... be careful everyone. It’s easy to want to take a risk when you’ve been looking for a part or piece of gear for years!