header.nohb.html

“Wanted” scammers — a Public Service Announcement

kevin kirk

Reaction score
Just to introduce myself and make mods aware i am a new member thats searching the forums for people thats looking for certain snares i have for sell and have sent some private messages. Im not a scammer

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that when someone receives a scam message via PM, you should hit the REPORT button. Posting about it here isn’t a great way for us to find and delete the user. Thanks!

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I might be asking around in automotive forums for some odd discontinued parts, and the idea I had to ferret out scammers was to have them tell me when they could *immediately* send me pics of the requested item along with another unusual pairing I'd ask for. "OK. Ready? ASAP, send me a pic of the part sitting next to a book open to page three. Now page 5." Or a slice of bread, then a bite taken out of the same slice. Or a pencil, then the pencil broken in half. Or a bowl right side up, then upside down. Etc.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine being so morally bankrupt or devoid of a skill to make ends meet that stealing is your best option? And then they get called out and fail 95% of the time at that to. I’m sorry Mods if this post is inappropriate but I have no patience for a thief.

Agree, but I don't believe they are desperate, but more world-wide scammers. Perhaps working out of a boiler room in Kenya/Somali.

Last week, my wife received a checkbook from a major USA/National Bank (SouthTrust). In all our 50 years, we banked with only one bank. She took the checks/deposit slips to a local SouthTrust brach to enquire what it was about...was a scam. My wife wondered, how stupid of those people to think she would not investigate it. I told her, it's a numbers game the scammers play. If they send out a million of them, and 5,000 people are foolish enough to make a deposit, thinking they now have a new bank account, that deposit is placed in an out of country off shore account, never to be seen again.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I just got one too. Says his "friend" told him about the forum. I asked him who is friend is and he hasn't responded.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I think I just got one too. Says his "friend" told him about the forum. I asked him who is friend is and he hasn't responded.
Is he claiming to have the item you’re after? Just ask for pictures and seller references. Or, run it through eBay or PayPal where you’re protected.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is he claiming to have the item you’re after? Just ask for pictures and seller references. Or, run it through eBay or PayPal where you’re protected.
Yeah he claims to have it. He just joined the forum yesterday, no posts. Asked me twice to go to email. Yeah if he responds, I was thinking of asking him to go through Reverb.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah he claims to have it. He just joined the forum yesterday, no posts. Asked me twice to go to email. Yeah if he responds, I was thinking of asking him to go through Reverb.
Would you please hit the report link on one of the messages so we can look at the account?

Rich K.

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a scam. Ignore it.

zenstat

Reaction score
It's a scam. Ignore it.

No. It's scam so report it properly via the report button. That allows appropriate action to take place promptly.

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 2.39.16 PM.png

Then you can ignore it. ;)

Jeverett.tx

Reaction score
664C4C4B-9171-4B0B-B54C-9CF55904B2EA.png

Dude just tried to scam me using pictures of a floor tom from reverb from a seller I already talked to. Called him out and he stopped responding. Beware.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score

damnedcat777

Reaction score
Multiple times over the past couple of years, we have seen reports of new or relatively new members sending PMs based on threads in the Wanted section.
They usually look something like this:

Sometimes this person will name the exact item you have asked for. They pretty much always give you some email address for their friend who has your item, and will even send you pictures of it.

Bottom line: If you get a PM from a new user telling you to contact their friend who has the item you want, don’t respond and report it to us. Thanks.
Thanks. They tried to get me to send PayPal via “F & F” - which I found out is “friends & family” (you don’t get a refund when they don’t send you anything). Scammers, all of ‘em. The ones that tried to get me were Nigerians.