“Wanted” scammers — a Public Service Announcement

michaellasaponara

Reaction score
Just read about a member getting scammed today, so I hope this is helpful....

For those of you that don't know me, my name is Mikey. Over the past 6 months I have posted in the wanted section for various items. I'm pretty familiar with photoshop and scammers. I have turned in at least 3 scammers to administrators. Here is a list of what to look for, I hope it helps.

1. They usually go after users posting in the Wanted section.

2. They reply quickly, with pics and a GOOD price...not low enough to seem scammy but high enough to be legitimate.

3. They have been a member typically less than a year, but to gain your trust have also posted bullcrap responses to certain threads. Usually no more than 10 posts.

4. They photoshop. The pics they send are usually from sold listings from DFO or Reverb. They change the background, flip the orientation of the cymbal, etc.

5. They will ask you to pay with Zelle, Venmo, or PayPal F&F.....all have very little to no recourse.

Stay safe out there.

Mikey

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is a variation on this scam. Using a hacked account they will PM you and say something along the lines of "Last week, I bought something from xxx and when I went to pick up my item I noticed he had (whatever you are looking for). he can be texted at xxx-xxx-xxxx or emailed at [email protected].

The easiest way to catch them is to ask very specific condition or operational questions- they can't answer them. They also usually give you insanely low or high shipping quotes- I had a guy quote me $85 shipping on a spring that weighed less than an ounce- he obviously had no idea what the part I was looking for actually was.

michaellasaponara

Reaction score
There is a variation on this scam. Using a hacked account they will PM you and say something along the lines of "Last week, I bought something from xxx and when I went to pick up my item I noticed he had (whatever you are looking for). he can be texted at xxx-xxx-xxxx or emailed at [email protected].

The easiest way to catch them is to ask very specific condition or operational questions- they can't answer them. They also usually give you insanely low or high shipping quotes- I had a guy quote me $85 shipping on a spring that weighed less than an ounce- he obviously had no idea what the part I was looking for actually was.
This is great info on what else to look out for!

2J3L

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K. Just got email from @jamesdriscol (strangely it’s been only few minutes buy the username doesn’t show up in search and the message on my inbox is completely gone. How is this possible? Even if person is goneC the message trail needs to be kept?), he saw my wanted post and his friend is selling what I want.
Been chatting with the “friend” name Glenn Gregory til now.

He sent photos of snare from a shop in Canada (I recognized that pictures, ive been looking for this snare all over), felt something phishy, and saw this thread.

I lowballed him and he said he’d match my price. I asked for more pictures.

Whether this guy sees this post or not, I wanna play with this guy and see how this guy does this thing.

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
re: jamesdriscol

see also

Perhaps somebody has correctly reported this scammer to the mods who can delete the account and all posts quickly once they know. You might been experiencing the ripples through the database.

Remember: always use the report button or PM the mods, don't just talk about it somewhere and expect the mods to happen to read your post.

Screen Shot 2023-05-24 at 4.10.45 PM.png

Last edited:

2J3L

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

see also

Perhaps somebody has correctly reported this scammer to the mods who can delete the account and all posts quickly once they know. You might been experiencing the ripples through the database.

Remember: always use the report button or PM the mods, don't just talk about it somewhere and expect the mods to happen to read your post.

View attachment 623143
Thanks for the head up.
Yeah My original threads/inbox message is gone so I do not have anything but leaveing post on here.

Curbsideshuffle

Reaction score
I

see also

View attachment 623143
just got an email from him too about his friend glenngregory having a Yamaha RC lug available. Interesting to know. I’ll be on alert. Thanks for posting this.

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
just got an email from him too about his friend glenngregory having a Yamaha RC lug available. Interesting to know. I’ll be on alert. Thanks for posting this.

If people are really getting emails then the spammers have your email address. You need to distinguish what is a notification of a Personal Message by email from DFO. Getting a direct email from somebody means they have your email address.

Thanks for the head up.
Yeah My original threads/inbox message is gone so I do not have anything but leaveing post on here.

What I do in that case is report my own post and explain what is going on. You get a message window once you push the button to report where you can add extra details.

jmoll

Reaction score
K. Just got email from @jamesdriscol (strangely it’s been only few minutes buy the username doesn’t show up in search and the message on my inbox is completely gone. How is this possible? Even if person is goneC the message trail needs to be kept?), he saw my wanted post and his friend is selling what I want.
Been chatting with the “friend” name Glenn Gregory til now.

He sent photos of snare from a shop in Canada (I recognized that pictures, ive been looking for this snare all over), felt something phishy, and saw this thread.

I lowballed him and he said he’d match my price. I asked for more pictures.

Whether this guy sees this post or not, I wanna play with this guy and see how this guy does this thing.
Same here, I've received a DFO email saying I have a message from jamesdricol but it doesn't appear here in the website. It seems that his friend Glenn has everything we are looking for..

padulaband

Reaction score
Had a message myself last night from James Driscoll.... check the message and it's gone before you know it!
Sends same email address for this Glenn Gregory guy...sends me pics of a drum I was interested in...asked him questions about it...his response was F..k off!

2J3L

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Had a message myself last night from James Driscoll.... check the message and it's gone before you know it!
Sends same email address for this Glenn Gregory guy...sends me pics of a drum I was interested in...asked him questions about it...his response was F..k off!
Glenn was mean to you..
At least he tried to offer me some good discount.

Attachments

• IMG_9311.png
    IMG_9311.png
    120 KB · Views: 22

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
When your private message disappears and you can’t find the person who messaged you, they have been identified as a scammer and banned. That’s what happened here. Sounds like one or more people were potentially going to try to do business with the scammer, hopefully that will no longer happen.

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too received a similar message from “Mr. Driscoll” yesterday regarding a 24” Yamaha bass drum hoop in Real Wood finish. I pulled up the message after my gig last night and the mods had already deleted it.
THANK YOU mods!

Curbsideshuffle

Reaction score
If people are really getting emails then the spammers have your email address. You need to distinguish what is a notification of a Personal Message by email from DFO. Getting a direct email from somebody means they have your email address.

What I do in that case is report my own post and explain what is going on. You get a message window once you push the button to report where you can add extra details.
To clarify, it was an email notification from DFO.