header.nohb.html

…”a bass drum, a snare, and a cymbal”…

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was approached today about a gig for a rockabilly/surf/blues trio - guitar upright and drums. This is perfect for me because I love, love, love rockabilly. The catch is it is being requested that I simply use a bass drum, a snare, and a single cymbal. From what I gather, the drummer prior used this simple setup and the other two players really liked this. They said they liked the vibe and look it gave. I know the guitar player from around and he is really talented. I really want this gig so don’t want to rock the boat much - but no hats; no crash cymbal; not even a floor tom.

Ok, so it is what it is. Question is what cymbal? I asked what the prior drummer used, but they didn’t know. That’s cool because if I’m doing this I might as well make it my own anyways. It needs to be able to ride and crash and is the main time keeper (along with the snare for certain train beat tunes). They said they are about 80% rockabilly and the other 20% mixed with some surf and some blues. I’m thinking nothing bigger than a 20”, and not too heavy so it can crash well - so maybe in the 2000-ish gram range? I’m thinking something brighter for sure, and my stash is on the dark side. I need too add another. I was already thinking about getting either a Zildjian 20” A Crash Ride, or one of the Take Five cymbals, but what other good choices do you all think? I’m not partial to any certain brand, but did want to keep it modern and nothing vintage (which I know vintage makes sense here, but just wanted to keep it something more readily available). Please throw out some recommendation. Thanks!

TPC

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Scouring our own marketplace just now, I think any of these would serve you well in this context.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Scouring our own marketplace just now, I think any of these would serve you well in this context.

Thanks for the links! I will have a look…

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also browsing through MDS videos and the Paiste 2002 20” Medium Crash sounds like it has possibilities - in the very low 2000’s gram weight. Bright yet warm.

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have done at least 100 gigs using the 19" version of this (or the same size Custom model) in a BD, SN, Hats, Ride configuration. The fact that this is drilled for rivets is a plus. Of course it is relatively quiet, but that is what your prospective band mates are probably wanting. Even when I am playing a regular (1 up/1 down, hats + 2 rides) kit, I always have one or the other flat rides in the configuration.

EDITED TO INCLUDE: I am still considering purchasing the above cymbal as a spare. If you buy it I win. If you don't buy it I win :)

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you really want to impress them don’t use a cymbal at all.....or.....take a couple of cymbals and of course only one stand. You can then A/B the cymbals in context and the other folks will be impressed as well.
But generally as mentioned, a crash/ride combo, or a ride that crashes nice, or a crash that rides ok...oh crap that’s three cymbals...
Also use different sticks, brushes et al...acorn tips vs round tips; nylon vs wire brushes....many different sounds and textures from one cymbal with different plonkers.
bt

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
If you really want to impress them don’t use a cymbal at all.....or.....take a couple of cymbals and of course only one stand. You can then A/B the cymbals in context and the other folks will be impressed as well.
But generally as mentioned, a crash/ride combo, or a ride that crashes nice, or a crash that rides ok...oh crap that’s three cymbals...
Also use different sticks, brushes et al...acorn tips vs round tips; nylon vs wire brushes....many different sounds and textures from one cymbal with different plonkers.
bt
Agreed. Single cymbal stuff:

But if he really wants to impress them why not just show up with a snare drum and hats? :)

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great ideas! I will check out the Omni. Certainly different sticks are noticeable more on the cymbals - I like this theory. They did specifically say they wanted a cymbal - I assumed they were referring to a ride (crash ride). Technically hi hats are two cymbals :)

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Great ideas! I will check out the Omni. Certainly different sticks are noticeable more on the cymbals - I like this theory. They did specifically say they wanted a cymbal - I assumed they were referring to a ride (crash ride). Technically hi hats are two cymbals :)
They may have meant just one cymbal not counting hats. Frankly, I could do a rockabilly gig with just hats, but would balk at doing any kind of gig with no hats. I have showed up at some tiny assisted living facilities in the past with just a snare drum and brushes, but would draw the line if it were anything else. I need the hats. I can do without a bass drum if required, as well as a crash/ride. But those hats ... my security blanket (and time reference.) Especially when I play with brushes. I frequently check to make sure my sweep is synched to my hats open and closed positions. But that's just me.

bonefamily

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They may have meant just one cymbal not counting hats. Frankly, I could do a rockabilly gig with just hats, but would balk at doing any kind of gig with no hats. I have showed up at some tiny assisted living facilities in the past with just a snare drum and brushes, but would draw the line if it were anything else. I need the hats. I can do without a bass drum if required, as well as a crash/ride. But those hats ... my security blanket (and time reference.) Especially when I play with brushes. I frequently check to make sure my sweep is synched to my hats open and closed positions. But that's just me.
I understand where you're coming from Mike! I'm just trying not to rock the boat with these guys as I'm really looking forward to this gig. If all goes well and I become a mainstay in the group, I can try to start adding a piece at a time to at least build up tp a set of hats and a smaller crash cymbal to go with the ride.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have played this way a bunch but used hi-hats as my only “cymbal”. It is just so much more versatile without adding any more footprint. Right Hat choice gives you crash, ride, slosh and chick.

I have a 20” K jazz ride that is great for a crash ride combo. It has an amazing bell on it.

plumbndrum

Reaction score
This:
1670429033143.png

Paiste 2002 18" Medium. Clean sound. Cuts through, good crash, usable ride and strong bell.

Rockin' Billy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
So many options for sure.
My favorite that I use is an old 18” Zildjian w/2rivets. Crash/Ride/Bell does it all. You can ‘pinch’ the cymbal for Hi Hat sounds. I’ve been playing Rock a Billy most of my 50 years of drumming. I’ve used an old 20” Zildjian as well but prefer my 18”.