-From Spain:
Ipanema-NP

-From France:
Bahia-Steel
Great!!! Thanks for posting.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Only kits with a visible brand name on a badge or on the bass drum head are listed.
Makes complete sense! Concerning these "no name" unbranded drums, I do know that many of these were sold from stores such as Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc. I believe there would have been some name on the bass drum head, but once you changed the head, you'd never know! Of course, we now know that the hardware is a big clue to where they were made, but sometimes even this can make it tough!

Regardless, I applaud your work with this list! Did you have some template that allows you to put them in alphabetical order, or did you have to do this manually...which would have taken you quite some time!!

-Mark

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Makes complete sense! Concerning these "no name" unbranded drums, I do know that many of these were sold from stores such as Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc. I believe there would have been some name on the bass drum head, but once you changed the head, you'd never know! Of course, we now know that the hardware is a big clue to where they were made, but sometimes even this can make it tough!

Regardless, I applaud your work with this list! Did you have some template that allows you to put them in alphabetical order, or did you have to do this manually...which would have taken you quite some time!!

-Mark
I would imagine that a number of brands come out of the same Asian plant that are identical except for the name on the bass drum head. That way retailers can have a franchise on one brand and the store next door can sell the same kit under a different name.

When adding names to the list, I try to find out where they are made if possible. I keep another list that is separated geographically (American, European, Asian, etc.). I maintain both lists manually in Microsoft Word.

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I see "Drum City" on your list, is this the same as DC1000?
What I've been able to find out is that Drum City is not a valid brand name at all but rather a store that sells drums and places its own labels on them (see the Drum City sticker on the Ludwig drum in the photo). DC1000 on the other hand is a valid brand name on a line of drums made by Remo. I therefore deleted Drum City from my list and added DC1000. Thanks for your post, I try to make every effort to make my list as accurate as possible.

DC.jpg
DC1000-1.jpg

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
What I've been able to find out is that Drum City is not a valid brand name at all but rather a store that sells drums and places its own labels on them (see the Drum City sticker on the Ludwig drum in the photo). DC1000 on the other hand is a valid brand name on a line of drums made by Remo. I therefore deleted Drum City from my list and added DC1000. Thanks for your post, I try to make every effort to make my list as accurate as possible.
Yes, they were Remo shells with custom lugs made for them and I believe assembled in San Antonio by one of Kirk's long time employee's, Mark (Brown I think?) . Later Mark was using maple shells to do some custom kits using up the DC lugs, George Strait's drummer used them for a few years and can be seen in the movie Pure Country. He later got a deal with Yamaha. Kirk Scott's was where I first shopped in 1982. My brother in law had been shopping there since it opened sometime in the 70's. It was such a great shop very similar to Pro Drum in Hollywood. I almost bought a set in 1987 but settled on some Ludwig Rockers instead.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 424668 View attachment 424669
Interesting. drum City had two incarnations in LA. The first was opened by Remo Belli and Roy Harte on Santa Mónice Blvd. in Hollywood. I got my first drum set there, a used set of Rogers. They closed in the late 70s or early 80s. The next incarnation was in North Hollywood owned by Chad Sexton. They are now gone, too. I’ll bet there are several other ”Drum City” stores across the country, the name is so generic.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Forecast, Bristol Drum Company, Billy Miller (who makes the Miller triangle/finger cymbal machines), Van Kleef, Snareweight, Toneally?

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who offered additions to the list. Latest count stands at 1,038.