1%'er MC club gig

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to turn one down due to a conflict. It's some big gathering somewhere in East Texas...where things get weird. I'm pretty disappointed that I had a conflict, but my daughter has an All Region concert that night, so I'm definitely not missing that.

I've never been to anything like that, and I look like I work in tech (I do), lol. I know some of you guys have played things like that before, so what am I missing out on?

snappy

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had nothing but great experiences.
A very attentive crowd that is into it!
The drummers chair is prime location for the wet t-shirt contest.
P.S. Skin to Win.

p83

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had nothing but great experiences.
A very attentive crowd that is into it!
The drummers chair is prime location for the wet t-shirt contest.
P.S. Skin to Win.
i too have been the ''house band'' for some t-shirt contests at the ''abate of washington'' spring openers. all i will say is some girls want to win real bad............................

when i did my first one, i was a little nervous, but a regular gave me some good advice that i will pass onto you. just one rule - if you see an area roped off, then go around. NO cutting across.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Never played one but I’ve been to plenty of big bike parties and rallys.
In general everybody at those sort of events is there for a good time and and will be an appreciative audience, especially while you’re playing. Be nice and people will be nice to you. There does tend to be some level of silly macho nonsense but usually between people that all want to prove how tough they are, no one proves they are a tough guy by picking on the tech guy so you’ll be fine. The only real annoyances at those events are when multiple clubs that aren’t friendly show up. Then theres usually some tension and posturing but its pretty rare.

One cool thing I’ve noticed when it comes to bands at biker parties is you never really hear anyone complaining or talking down the band thats on to seem cool like you might hear at a regular multi band bill and all genres seem to get the same response. And no one will complain you’re too loud ever. Be prepared to overcome the volume of a burnout pit somewhere in the background though.

Last edited:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Years ago, a bunch of dual sport guys from the forum I was on ran support for a bicycle race in Cary, NC. Dual Sport guys are not like above. They're usually the nerdy dad of motorcycles. They don't run in large groups - usually just 1-3 buddies taking their daily driver in the dirt some place because they bought knobby tires for it and don't want to have to change that tire before it sees dirt once. Cary though is ... different. They seemed to think we were the Hell's Angels. It was kind of a surreal experience for a bunch of 30-40 yo guys who played DnD in jr high.

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago, a bunch of dual sport guys from the forum I was on ran support for a bicycle race in Cary, NC. Dual Sport guys are not like above. They're usually the nerdy dad of motorcycles. They don't run in large groups - usually just 1-3 buddies taking their daily driver in the dirt some place because they bought knobby tires for it and don't want to have to change that tire before it sees dirt once. Cary though is ... different. They seemed to think we were the Hell's Angels. It was kind of a surreal experience for a bunch of 30-40 yo guys who played DnD in jr high.
Terrorizing Cary NC in hi-viz aerostich?

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Played 4 Hells Angels gigs. Halloween and Valentines parties. Only trouble was a fight between 2 girls that was broken up immediately. I was given an event shirt by the member that hired us. Got questioned by the ‘Sargent at Arms’(official patch)where I got it when he saw me with it and told him. He was quite pissed off because I didn’t pay, but no issues. We were invited to the Clubhouse and went. That felt a little uncomfortable.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the two rival MCs at the center of the Waco shootout back in 2015. These definitely aren't "my people", but a big part of me would love to see what kind of crazy stuff goes on at a private event. If the band plays well, we'll likely be invited back for future events.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if they decide to string you up, be sure to borrow some white high-heel boots from the bartender and have the rest of the band break into ‘Tequila!’ As you dance on the table. It just might save you.
I loved that scene as a kid. That movie was a big part of my pre-teen life! Watched it all the time on VHS.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've played a few. Once I didn't know it was a Banditos rally until I rolled up and saw a hundred motorcycles. I've never had critical trouble with them, but like any other gang members they can start throwing their weight around when they get sauced and start demanding certain songs, or even that they get to play your drums for a tune. On one occasion one literally threw his weight around and as the rhinoceros man;s momentum was carrying three other large men toward the very low stage I wondered at which point I'd have to jump up and put my shoulder into the scrum to save my drums. Whatchagonnado? I've noticed that when they or other gang membes enter a bar, I kind of go to yellow alert and play less interesting fills while being unable to keep the corner of my eye off them.

My brother played one of those events once. A particularly grisly guy wanted to sing on stage, had the time of his life, and then told the band if they ever needed anyone taken care of, he was their guy.

Note: rallies are less likely to have actual fights since they're all on the same team.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
what the heck is a 1% MC club gig @Tornado .

Oh wait I played the "Afro-Dogs" years ago. They had Afro wigs glued on to their helmets.