1%'er MC club gig

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love playing for drunks. But the kinds of bikers that come to my gigs pedaled up!

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
N
Outlaw motorcycle club rally.
Some outlaw motorcycle clubs can be distinguished by a "1%" patch worn on the colors. This is said to refer to a comment by the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) that 99% of motorcyclists were law-abiding citizens, implying the last one percent were outlaws.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've played for bikers multiple times over the last 50 years and never had any trouble. On the contrary, the parties/rallies I attended were quite uneventful, although I've heard from others whose experience was different. Sometimes the 'elders' will insist that junior members help the band load out. Always appreciate that.

Any party can go sideways when people are drinking, especially when a high percentage are quick to anger anyway. College fraternity parties are often rowdier than a Bandidos party. (yep. done both)

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the past I've played a few HA gigs. The worst was a wake for a member. Things got weird. I found a small piece of an ear lobe in the guys bathroom. A few of them brought their bikes into the bar and laid patches - on the carpet. That cloud of burnt rubber/carpet filled the bar, and stayed all night. I'm pretty sure that took off five years of my life. They demanded our singer use the stripper poles...thing is, our singer was a dude. They loved 'Born to be Wild' (of course), and demanded we play it over and over again. I think we played it 5 or 6 times in a row. A few years later that bar burned to the ground (of course).

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the local clubs invited the band to party at their clubhouse after our gig .
There was a tall fence with razor wire surrounding the place . You had to be let in and out .
Well the Prez liked playing pool with me and kept saying , come on HD one more game .
I’m like come on man I’ve been up since 7. Am and I’m tired .I didn’t get out until 6 AM .
A few months later they found bodies buried in his yard …..

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We played one last summer. It was fun. Cool stuff going on. The food was all homemade and really good. And the moonshine don’t even get me started lol.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Years ago in the early 80s we were playing a pretty heavy biker bar in the Phoenix area. We preferred playing some of those clubs over the yuppy Scottsdale area bars, because they weren't threatened by us I guess. The Yuppy bars, everyone acted arrogantly and like we were there to steal their girlfriends or something. It was a weird vibe. The biker bars treated us really well. With that said we had a bass player that was pretty full of himself and was fairly built and worked out a lot, and was considered good looking by the women who hung around and followed the band. We all got tired of his arrogant attitude though and would try to set him up sometimes to look foolish. Anyway he popped off to our keyboardist with some arrogant comment while we were on break. On the way back up to the stage the keyboardists whispered to me in my ear and said watch this I'm going to nail ____ . We get up on stage and got ready to start the next set and the keyboardist gets on the mic and says, "You know our bass player here thinks he is a pretty tough guy, in fact he was just commenting to us while we were on break that he can probably kick about any bodies A$$ that is here in the bar tonight... Do any of you want to take him up on it?" Of course the whole audience erupted with jeers and comments like [email protected]#$ yeah I'll take him on etc. etc. They all laughed and knew our keyboardist was just kidding around. I was behind my drum kit literally with tears in my eyes laughing. Our bass player on the other hand, didn't think it was all that funny and was white as a sheet and scared to death this was going to take on a life of its own that he wasn't prepared to be apart of. He was a little panicked and kept covering the mic and grumbling under his breath for our keyboardist to shut up. We all are still good friends to this day and have a good laugh about that experience. All in all, I had great experiences playing for MC one percenters. They are generally nice guys as long as you don't p*&^ them off. We were very carful not to do that.

Last edited:

T-2

Reaction score
Here's the Jerry Garcia Band playing a set at a Hell's Angels cruise around Manhattan in 1976, including our dear departed Ron Tutt.