$1 moongel alternative.

Drm1979

Reaction score
So I know that this has been covered in a YouTube video before but, I found these at the dollar tree. It came in a two pack and could easily be used in place of moongel, for a lot cheaper. Just cut the hands from the string and go.

20191213_190918.jpg

Drm1979

Reaction score
Just be prepared for permanent stains on your coated heads.
Maybe. I saw a video by rdavidr where he did the same thing with those cheap window clings. He stored them in a tape container and the colors ran together on the clings, but he left them on his drums for a week, on coated heads, and they didn't stain.

Iristone

Reaction score
I bought a roll of "tape" made of such gel. It's clear, reuseable (just wash and dry), and can be cut freely to any sizes for any drums. Not that a roll only costs $1, but it lasts almost indefinitely, and probably has a million other household uses. :thumbleft:

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a roll of "tape" made of such gel. It's clear, reuseable (just wash and dry), and can be cut freely to any sizes for any drums. Not that a roll only costs $1, but it lasts almost indefinitely, and probably has a million other household uses. :thumbleft:
Yup. Those countless times I've been doing household work and been thinking "I wish I had clear gel on a roll to make this easier".
:p

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never used any gells. Do they do anything that gaffer's tape doesn't?

Old Dog

Reaction score
I think the difference is you can use less, and get more--dampening. And, many of the gels are clear. They just don't leave the visible footprint as the tape. :dontknow:

And the ones I use (which are Ebay cheapies), can be cleaned and re-used easily.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just be prepared for permanent stains on your coated heads.
I've been playing around with a 16x12 tenor/bass drum conversion this week. I used a couple of larger pumpkin window clings on a brand new G1 & now that i am not using them they're permanently stained on my front head. D'oh!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where can one obtain such a magical substance?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been playing around with a 16x12 tenor/bass drum conversion this week. I used a couple of larger pumpkin window clings on a brand new G1 & now that i am not using them they're permanently stained on my front head. D'oh!
So that's an added benefit?

Iristone

Reaction score
Where can one obtain such a magical substance?
I found it at a supermarket. But we probably live in different countries, so maybe it doesn't help telling you the exact location. But maybe someone will sell some on eBay too. :wink:

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a set of alphabet window clings at Target a while back, and have been using them for 2-3 years. I cut them to size, and don't really care if they leave a stain. It's not like my batter heads are visible to the audience.

On the one

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got the sticky hands out of a gum ball machine and they didn't work for me, just didn't stick. Only 50 cents, the sticky roll tape sounds interesting....

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Gels generally allow tone and sustain through while controlling any annoying ring, while I think tape just deadens everything. I’ve been using DrumDots on my snares and they are perfect for getting those results. My toms are always wide open.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do like a little tape or studio ring once in awhile to control volume or sustain , can’t get on with anything that has a gooey snot constancy

Old Dog

Reaction score
I do like a little tape or studio ring once in awhile to control volume or sustain , can’t get on with anything that has a gooey snot constancy
The gels I've purchased are pretty formidable. They're not like gooey snot at all, lol.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I either cut up 1"-4" sections of mylar muffle rings, or cut individual clear/coated pieces out of old drum heads to match the current head. I attach them with a small piece of clear scotch tape. Most of the piece is free to float. Easy on and off....no residue.