1-ply solid Mahogany Ludwig Universal model 1940’s

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Hello fellow drum-e-teers!

I have in my sights a 1940’s Ludwig Solid universal mahogany shell.
So the question is:

Did they make a solid mahogany shell for the universal models?
All the catalogs from that time state 3-ply mahogany.
Thank you for the help!

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If they did it would have been in the 30’s. Post a clear, well lit pic of the bearing edge. Sometimes they get dirty and it looks like a one ply.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a solid one (with birdseye maple outer veneer) but it's from the 20's. I'd like to see your edge as pointed out above. Mine is clearly one ply.

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
I have a solid one (with birdseye maple outer veneer) but it's from the 20's. I'd like to see your edge as pointed out above. Mine is clearly one ply.
[/QUOTE
It comes without a badge and the snare beds look pretty deep.
The re-rings may have been re-glued at some point it looks like.
It comes without a badge and the snare beds look pretty deep.
The re-rings may have been re-glued at some point it looks like but not sure.

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't have rings, but yours looks like the real deal. I don't have the Ludwig book (only Gretsch & Slingy).......so I can't help much......is it possible yours is earlier than 40's?

Aaronjiski

Reaction score
Mine doesn't have rings, but yours looks like the real deal. I don't have the Ludwig book (only Gretsch & Slingy).......so I can't help much......is it possible yours is earlier than 40's?
That I don't know, every catalog that mentions the universal model states it has 3-plies. Assuming it's the classic mahogany-poplar-mahogany formula.
That's why this one is a little bit of a mystery, obviously pre-dates badges.
The one thing that caught my eye was the re-rings,the glue look a little newer, other vintage snare that I have all have a clear glue not whitish like this is. Maybe it was repaired at some point.
I know Ludwig accepted custom orders at the time so this might be one of those?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a vintage Ludwig expert. I found this listing and maybe you can reach out to the seller for close up photos of the edge/rings?

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well crap- I have a one ply mahogany early 30’s project shell here. Let me bust it out over the weekend and take a look.