1 week post neck surgery acdf no playing

Mayan

Reaction score
Not cervical but I had a fusion last August, thoracic spine. T3 through T9 right in the middle of my back. I’m incredibly blessed, not only am I pain free, but I am experiencing the ability to activate muscles deep around my hips and spine that I cannot remember ever feeling before. My spinal cord was effected for years and I was unaware and felt “normal”. Now I know better. At the very least, my posture is better as I sit up straighter on the throne than ever before. The nerves around your cervical spine effect your arms/wrists/fingers, so you could wind up being a better drummer than ever before!! Hang in there brother, if you’re like me, a spinal fusion might be one of the best things that could have happened.

Attachments

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Wow
That’s terrific it did so well

im only one week out surgery and starting to feel better

1st few days I felt like I got hit by a bus

in a neck brace for 6 weeks can’t even drive

but I’m blessed because all my medical problems are Orthopaedic not disease related

still I do miss drumming so much

I sit at my kit and stare at it
Sigh

but I hope it’ll be ok and soon

Skyrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hope your healing continues quickly!

And I really wanted to post a “fusion drummer” joke, but I resisted. :)

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Had c6/7 fusion last August. Osteophites had set in, making it effectively a 3 level.
CE74DF3F-1BA8-4661-B544-10876E6BC0E7.jpeg
When I started playing again, wore my neck brace to enforce proper posture. No more of that head down playing. Still healing, but doing well. Arm and leg function is back....

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
I’m only 10 days out
Guess I’m wishing for more quick but I understand that its a hard recovery

I went with surgery at 56 rather than wait till it got worse and I got Older

feeling better but neck obviously stiff
And Pain between shoulder blades

how long a recovery did yours take?

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was OKed to start gently playing drums at three weeks out. That is the point where I could stop wearing the neckbrace constantly. I did wear it while playing to keep my posture correct. I have a tendency to play looking down when it gets hot and heavy! Had very little pain afterwords. Almost immediate relief of the hand and leg symptoms. I was getting foot drop and hand numbness. StillHave some weakness on the left side, but it’s probably 80 to 90% of what it was before. I can live with that small loss. Did cause me to switch to a CVT rather than clutch tape motorcycle. Upright handlebars on the bicycle also.

Latest posts