10 Most Important Developments in the History of the Modern Drum Kit

Scott K Fish

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ed Shaughnessy was a pioneer in double-bass drum work. I've heard a few drummers, Frankie Dunlop for example, who say Shaughnessy preceded Bellson. But Bellson was put on the map with his "Skin Deep" solo with Duke Ellington's orchestra.

Also, I would add plastic tip drumsticks to the key innovation list.

Best,
skf

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure I agree
I guess that's why this thread is more opinion, than anything factual.
I was just thinking outside the box. The internet has impacted everything drums for me. I don't think I'd have 1/50th the knowledge of drums, or the history w/out the net.
I would have never heard a fraction of the innovations, and changes of the kit through the decades. different hoops on different drums, edges, hardware, evolution of heads, different recording methods, etc...
These kinds of threads are fun.

Drumbo61

Reaction score
This is what happens when millennials try to write drum history. North drums and Vistalights and you leave out plastic drumheads?! The mylar drumhead is the MOST important development of the modern drum set and modern drumming. Period. Bonham, Moon, Ringo, Ulrich, Van Halen, Peart on calfskin heads? Todays drums; lugs, rods, shells are designed with plastic heads as a given. Modern recording techniques assume plastic heads. Pitch paired drum sticks are a result of the much more precise tuning ability of plastic heads. North drums were very short lived. Billy Cobham played them briefly. Very few drummers have ever heard of them. Vistalights are pretty and sound OK. Other than pictures by proud owners on a facebook group page, how often do you see Vistalights? Bass drum pedal, snare stand, important, yes, but todays hardware has evolved from the need to be stronger and more durable in part because of the amazing amount of force that can be applied to a plastic head. Have I made my case?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
This is what happens when millennials try to write drum history. North drums and Vistalights and you leave out plastic drumheads?! The mylar drumhead is the MOST important development of the modern drum set and modern drumming. Period. Bonham, Moon, Ringo, Ulrich, Van Halen, Peart on calfskin heads? Todays drums; lugs, rods, shells are designed with plastic heads as a given. Modern recording techniques assume plastic heads. Pitch paired drum sticks are a result of the much more precise tuning ability of plastic heads. North drums were very short lived. Billy Cobham played them briefly. Very few drummers have ever heard of them. Vistalights are pretty and sound OK. Other than pictures by proud owners on a facebook group page, how often do you see Vistalights? Bass drum pedal, snare stand, important, yes, but todays hardware has evolved from the need to be stronger and more durable in part because of the amazing amount of force that can be applied to a plastic head. Have I made my case?
The correct spelling is Vistalites. I agree on "plastics," which I say with the same emphasis as in that guy in "The Graduate," but you may want to take this up with Drum Magazine -- if they're still there.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You're awesome!. Even though you didn't mean millenial as a compliment, there's a fair chance I'm older than you?
But thank you.
Seriously, there is no amount of experience that can teach us what we can learn in a few months on the web.

Latest posts