10 Rock Albums Where a New Drummer Put a Spring in the Band's Step

Erik

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I could see that for sure live. Adler was a disaster in real life. But they made magic with Appetite for Destruction. That record was simply amazing, and the drumming was a big part of it.
I agree, Appetite for Destruction was magic & the drumming played a huge part in that. They had some good moments in later records, but nothing approached Appetite. Still, Matt is in another class of musician compared to Adler - IMO.

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Though there was an intervening album between the original drummer and the drummer responsible for the added spark, I think The Cure's Head on the Door fits the bill. I think I read Smith somewhere stating that there was better music he could finally write now that he had a great drummer.

drums1225

Reaction score
I disagree in that Priest had already hit drumming high points with Les Binks and Simon Phillips.

After a decade with the most uninspiring drummer in the history of music (Dave Holland), Scott Travis absolutely brought Priest to another level, injected some adrenaline into the heart of what was becoming a tired old nostalgia act. They completely raised their game on Painkiller. By leaps and bounds.

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll have to disagree on this one. I saw GNR with Adler and was at Sorums 1st unannounced "warm up" show with GNR. IMO, Sorum was a significant step up. He grooved harder, hit harder, and kept a consistent tempo.

And that’s why the band....Bums and Posers....”lost it”.....;)
“Rock swagger” doesn’t mean or include someone that hits and grooves harder, or keeps consistent tempo...
bt

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Only heard one of these albums. Think another drummer actually played on the tune “ Born To Run” ? I may be mistaken……..

Phil

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Jefferson Starship Freedom at Point Zero Ansley Dunbar,

Def Leppard High 'n' Dry Mutt Lange

Last edited:

Vicey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only heard one of these albums. Think another drummer actually played on the tune “ Born To Run” ? I may be mistaken……..

Phil
You are correct. Ernest Carter plays the title track. Very well.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a decade with the most uninspiring drummer in the history of music (Dave Holland), Scott Travis absolutely brought Priest to another level, injected some adrenaline into the heart of what was becoming a tired old nostalgia act. They completely raised their game on Painkiller. By leaps and bounds.
I agree , Dave never made sense there .
I like his drumming on this though .

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This one is for the post hardcore/screamo fans, but I thought Underoath’s Disambiguation album was much better with Daniel Davison on drums rather than Aaron Gillespie.

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Can't say I agree with the Pearl Jam mention in the list. Jack Irons definitely changed the feel of Pearl Jam, but not with putting extra spring in the band's step. That would be Abbruzzese for sure.