10 Ways To Learn Drums In Two Weeks - A How-To Guide

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
WorldAtlas.com says you can learn the drums in 14 days. I think they're right in that 87% of what you learned happened in the first two weeks.

From WorldAtlas.com:

10 Ways To Learn Drums In Two Weeks
You are probably asking yourself, "How is it possible to learn a musical instrument in two weeks?" Well, to tell you the truth, it is not possible. What is possible is that you can learn enough about drums to be able to play your first drum beats and drum fills with very little practice.

ou are probably asking yourself, "How is it possible to learn a musical instrument in two weeks?" Well, to tell you the truth, it is not possible. What is possible is that you can learn enough about drums to be able to play your first drum beats and drum fills with very little practice. While these newfound skills will not make you a professional, they will teach you how it takes less time than you think to make progress.

You do not need to have a drum set to learn about drums or to make your first steps into the world of drumming. You do not even need to have drumstick (although drumsticks would be advisable, and they are quite cheap), because you can play with your hands on your knees to explore the basics of the drum set coordination.

Let The Internet Be Your Teacher
For now. The Internet is a relevant source of information, and it will be your primary source of drum-related material during the quarantine period (and after). However, it is also also the place of much wrong information that can side-track you from your beginner goals.

Always use trusted sources and lessons made by professionals, avoid reading too many youtube comments or message board threads. Focus on one source at a time. Just type in "Beginner Drum Lesson," or "Basic Rock Beat," and you will be well on your way to learning the basics of playing the drum set. Also, learn the parts of the drumset first. You do not need to know every single part; knowing about the hi-hat, snare drum, and bass drum will suffice for now.

Learn The Basic Rock Beat
This will be one of your essential steps in learning to play drums. Use any video tutorial you can find that sufficiently explains the basics of counting and hand-foot coordination so you can understand and immediately start practicing. You do not need a drumset for this, or even drumsticks.

You will be using your hands, feet, and voice for counting (do not forget to count; it makes everything much easier). Your right hand (if you are right-handed) will be the hi-hat, your left hand will be the snare drum, and your right leg will be the bass drum. You will soon realize how easy and fun it can be to make your first steps in drumming.

Pick A Song You Want To Learn

Preferably something from AC/DC or The White Stripes. Their music has perfect drum parts for beginners. Chances are, they will have that same basic rock beat you learned, and you can start air drumming and play along to these songs in no time. It is technically simple to start playing along to such songs, but it takes a lot of time and effort to make it sound good.

Learn Basic Music Theory
Do not be scared; it is not as difficult as it sounds, and learning drum notation can provide you with many advantages. Drum notation is easier than most other instruments because the drum notes do not have duration per se. Although the drums can be melodic and harmonic, that is not their primary function, so the notation is that much easier to learn.

You will only learn rhythm, and this knowledge will be the basis for all other musical instruments you might pursue later if you choose to. Check out Vic Firth's page WebRhythms, which is a series of short articles designed to develop basic reading skills. These lessons will teach you the basics of music theory for drums, with a great introduction, textual, and audio examples. You do not even need to have sticks to start, a hand and a table will suffice for now.

Learn The Basic Rudiments
Single stroke (RLRL...), double stroke (RRLL...), and paradiddle (RLRR LRLL...) are considered to be the basis of all drumming (along with a few others but we will not go into that now). They are simple to learn, intuitive, and will build your hand coordination and muscle memory. There is a lot of online resources on rudiments, and there are more rudiments than those three, but stick (pun intended) with those three for now, and practice them slowly.

Buy Drumsticks And A Practice Pad
Sooner or later, you are going to need to buy drumsticks. You will need to learn how to hold the sticks properly, without tension, and learn how to use the rebound of the sticks. Unfortunately, you cannot learn to use the sticks properly on a surface like your knees or pillows that offer no rebound.

You will also need a practice pad. It is just a piece of rubber on a block of wood, but because the rubber provides a great rebound, similar to the head of the drum, it is a great substitute to practice your rudiments and hand technique when you do not have access to a drumset.

Learn Hand Technique
Learn how to hold your stick properly, and learn how to use the rebound of the surface to your advantage, while you practice the basic rudiments. Learn the difference between German, French, and American grip, how and when each of them is used.

The way you grip the stick and how you use the rebound will be the two most important things you will learn on the practice pad, so pay them the most attention. Go slowly, be patient. Practice every day for 10-20 minutes, and allow your limbs and brain to adapt to these newfound skills. These things cannot be rushed.

Listen To Great Drummers
John Bonham, Neil Peart, Dave Grohl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd, Tony Williams... Listen to the ambassadors of the instrument for inspiration and motivation. Do not just listen to their solos, but try to pay attention to how and why they play what they play in actual songs. Notice how they use the single strokes, double strokes, and how they play the basic rock beat.

At first, you will not understand everything they do, and it might take years for you to understand, but do not let it discourage you. It is a process that you will soon learn to enjoy. You come back to the same music and listen to it with more knowledge and experience, and notice things you previously could not!

Buy A Drumset
You can also buy an electronic drum set, but your end goal should be to play on a real acoustic drum set. Sometimes, drums can be a real problem because of their size and loudness. Because of it, you might experience issues having a drum set at home, but this is where electronic drums come into play. They are much quieter and are a great option for apartments. If you have the option to go for an acoustic kit, you can try pages like "Reverb, "which is an online marketplace where you can buy used instruments.

Practice For Goals, Not For Time
Short term goals are key here. Whether your goal is to learn a new rudiment (hand stickings, basic building blocks of hand coordination) like single stroke roll (RLRL), double stroke roll (RRLL), or learn the basic drum beat, you should always strive to make manageable "chunks" which you will accomplish instead of practicing for "x" hours.

This approach will make you feel like you accomplished something, make you feel confident, instead of making you feel frustrated. Limit the things you practice by focusing on the essential skills we have covered on the list.

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I didn't learn 87% of the rudiments in the first 2 weeks.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well if World Atlas said so, I guess it's true.

If you want to read about someone who actually documented doing something like this, then this is a good read.

This guy is a pHD. He started from knowing nothing to knowing something. It took longer than 2 weeks.

Reactions: owr

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It usually takes me 2 weeks to figure out what I need to be doing right now.....to take another step higher. That's usually good for a month of practice until it's time to identify the next major thing to work on. In two weeks, any beginner can buy a pad and drum set, and listen to other drummers. That's 3 out of 10.

Do learn the basic rock beat and other similar ones. Don't focus too much on them or you will also permanently lock in your left foot and left hand....and right foot with right hand. You can ingrain a bad habit in only a few months to a year. That habit can take you months or years to break depending on how long you keep doing it for.

I played for 50 yrs before I actually sat down and seriously thought through my hands, fingers, and stick control. Had never done anything to optimize it before. It took months of daily 45-60 min sessions. I was also changing my grip at the same time.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
People think golf is hard but I think it's really simple. When you're new, you need to make sure the club is the right length, you have the right Club, your grip is right, the clubhead is aiming right, your stance is right, the ball is properly within your stance, you and your body, you figure out which shot you're going to hit, you judge your speed and swing strength, you gauge the elements, and you simply hit the ball. If you can do that every time, you'll be the next Tiger Woods.....

So if you can read music, have the proper grip, have skills, have the proper instruments, can keep time, can interact with other musicians, know the song, play the proper beat, and start and end on time without overplaying, it's easy!!! Heck you could even play the bassoon!

mebeatee

Reaction score
Aww kafooey.....I learnt all that stuff on the very first day....yeesh...and did my first "gig" two weeks later....
The only thing is in 50 plus years of playing, I'm still scratching the surface of what I did on that first day...
bt

Latest posts