10" Zildjian Special Recording Hats

little rock

Reaction score
I have an older set of 10" Special Recording hats that I bought new several years ago. Why, I have no idea and have never really found a good use for them. Anyone else have these and if so, do you use them?

mpungercar

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 12's that I picked up years ago, and I've only used them as aux hats.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember a diagram of Steve Smith's setup, he apparently used them as aux hats with Steps Ahead. Simon Phillips used a pair on the right in the 90s as well.

bbunks

DFO Master
Reaction score
Billy Ward used them as his principal hats for several years.

I had a pair as well. I also couldn’t find the right spot for them, but also found they showed all of my technique flaws - hard to hide given how crisp and precise they are.

Reaction score
The Meinl HCS line has 10" hats now. They may have been special at one time but why have 10" when you can have 8" hi hats? Meinl has those too but Zildjian had some as well at some point. I was actually going to buy them lol. I think they were zxt or zht? I've never played an 8" or 10" for that matter but I use the PAISTE PST8 12" hats. The Rude line has a nice 12" sound edge I want. They're definitely a lot more common now or for now, who knows.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played 12" Paiste hats for a long time. They were not loud and some open hat rock playing sounded a bit weak in a larger room. I eventually sold them and went with 13". But, 8" and 10" are generally for aux hats on the kit and can offer some really cool options in grooves playing open handed patterns on each aux hat and integrating snare with either hand. You don't need a cable either, just set them up closed or open and work with them.

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not the 10s, but I have owned 2 pairs of the 12s over the years and could never find a use for them. As said before, they are crisp and tight sounding and I was looking for more sloshy/washy sound. The special recording hats, I think, would work great within a funk/gospel setting.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
better chance at fanning with the smaller diameters
still wear safety glasses tho
(reason: less weight to kick around maybe
rather fanning in the 20s? developed on the smaller diameter thin heets
Papa J played 13s