1026 Ringo Throne??????

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Well it appears to be the same type of throne that Ringo used 4 or 5 times during their first trip to America. I suppose that qualifies it as a "Ringo Throne" if that is a Ludwig Drum and Tympani stool.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think those were actually made by W & A and some other drum companies offered similar looking thrones (also from W & A) so you'd want to be sure that is the Ludwig version.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I can’t find any markings on it anywhere.

I threw it on the purchase pile because it was red and old and I kind of remembered something about Ringo having a red one

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ringo primarily used a Premier throne with a hard rubber "bicycle" seat (I have one, terrifically uncomfortable). Many folks think he used a red Ludwig "porto throne" but I have never seen a picture of him sitting on one. He did use a throne like the one in this post for the four performances (two Ed Sullivan shows, Carnegie Hall, and Washington DC ) of their first American visit. It doesn't reappear after that and I have heard that the red throne was a "loaner" and was returned to whomever (Manny's Music, perhaps) rather than being taken back to England.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ringo primarily used a Premier throne with a hard rubber "bicycle" seat (I have one, terrifically uncomfortable). Many folks think he used a red Ludwig "porto throne" but I have never seen a picture of him sitting on one. He did use a throne like the one in this post for the four performances (two Ed Sullivan shows, Carnegie Hall, and Washington DC ) of their first American visit. It doesn't reappear after that and I have heard that the red throne was a "loaner" and was returned to whomever (Manny's Music, perhaps) rather than being taken back to England.
Thanks! I figured you would chime in and give some answers. I'm planning on selling it and guessing the value at $30-$50ish

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't think that is a Ludwig. The seat top definitely isn't.
I've got one just like that but with white piping that I believe is Sonor.
There were two variations of the Ludwig timpani stool, Ringo used the earlier one with the softer seat top.
I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
15650091687611592337559.jpg

Sonor (I think) on the left early Ludwig on the right.

Last edited:

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm .. my suspicion is that Ringo used this throne. I'm no expert but it appears to be the same throne he used in a "Hard Day's Night". The reason I think this is because of the vertical tube that the seat sits on. In the photos of Ringo, the tube is not straight but is sitting at an angle. I beleive that instead of him positioning the seat where the two of the three legs would be in front, he positioned it in the less likely "stable" position. I had two iof these and although very portable and rather light, they were not the most stable of thrones.

Attachments

aldenyc2012

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this was the throne K.O. was referring to and if so, I could see How I could have been mistaken because they are very similar with the exception of the seat

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Premier throne pictured above by aldennyc is the throne Ringo used almost exclusively during his time with the Beatles. He did use a throne similar to the one this thread is about on four occasions but never seems to have used it again after that first trip to the USA. As far as the similar ( to the Premier) Ludwig porto throne I have never seen a picture of him sitting on one. It's always the Premier which is readily identifiable because the horizontal braces run parallel to the floor, unlike most thrones of this type.

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ringo used both the Ludwig timpani throne and the Premier throne. Perhaps the English seat was used while in Europe, while the American counterpart was used on tours in the Americas. It is a well known fact that Ringo had several Ludwig BOP drum kits.
ringopremierdrumthronehelp.jpg
premier1959drumseat.jpg
premier1959drumseat.jpg

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought it might be this model, but I’m really not even sure it’s Ludwig View attachment 405343
Yep, that's the Ludwig timpani stool, the same one on the right in my photo above. Your one is not a Ludwig, it is the same as the one on the left of my photo which I believe is a Sonor. My one has rubber feet with 'made in W. Germany' and the Sonor emblem on them.

Last edited:

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hmmm .. my suspicion is that Ringo used this throne. I'm no expert but it appears to be the same throne he used in a "Hard Day's Night". The reason I think this is because of the vertical tube that the seat sits on. In the photos of Ringo, the tube is not straight but is sitting at an angle. I beleive that instead of him positioning the seat where the two of the three legs would be in front, he positioned it in the less likely "stable" position. I had two iof these and although very portable and rather light, they were not the most stable of thrones.
No, Ringo used a Premier stool, which Ludwig copied.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
No, Ringo used a Premier stool, which Ludwig copied.
I'm not sure "copied" is the right word but almost all drum manufacturers offered some variation on that tripod throne design. They all were somewhat similar but differ in the details. The easy way to tell the premier version is the horizontal braces are parallel to the floor while the Ludwig and most ( all? ) others have those braces angling upwards. As I mentioned in an earlier post the Ludwig Drum and timpani stool may have just been a "loaner" used only during that initial visit to the USA.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure "copied" is the right word but almost all drum manufacturers offered some variation on that tripod throne design. They all were somewhat similar but differ in the details. The easy way to tell the premier version is the horizontal braces are parallel to the floor while the Ludwig and most ( all? ) others have those braces angling upwards. As I mentioned in an earlier post the Ludwig Drum and timpani stool may have just been a "loaner" used during that initial visit to the USA.
Ok, it was Ludwig's version of a Premier design! :)
The 'Sonor' one is an almost exact copy of the Ludwig timpani stool, the only real difference is the underneath of the seat top.