11 Groundbreaking Drummers Who Raised the Bar for Hybrid/Electronic Drumming

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Face it, the traditional drum set is way behind the capabilities of a hybrid — which is why most pros (under 60) have gone hybrid.

This is such a great topic, and I'm glad Music Radar is injecting new thoughts into our ongoing discussion with a new article on 11 Pioneering Electronic Drummers.

We'll get to the list in the moment, but let's all fondly recall the days (or weeks) earlier this year when several drummers on this forum (including at least one hybrid pioneer) lost their minds over the above statement -- which was proven unequivocally to be absolutely true over a series of more than hundred posts.

Feel free to refresh yourself on that party (and enjoy some winter sports videos) by visiting the thread named Acoustic-Only Drummers are Piloting a Horse-and-Buggy in the Jet Age (https://www.drumforum.org/threads/d...ting-a-horse-and-buggy-in-the-jet-age.171195/)

If you're a typical Drumforumite, this new MusicRar article will be some names you recognize -- to the point you may be uncomfortable with the fact that drummers born not that long after the Great War embraced electronics long before you actually knew it. There may be some additional discomfort over a certain Hall of Fame drummer being listed alongside a drummer whose chief claim to fame is a "rideable" drum set. There's also some other drummers -- mostly of the Electric Daisy Carnival variety -- who you had never heard of until Vistalite Black yet again revealed information you'd remain completely ignorant of were it not for ol' VB! Glad to be of service!

There's also the notable omission of a guy who I think was married to a Betty Boop-esque singer (at least in terms of vocal style) who distracted from her subpar singing by wearing plexiglass clothes. Some demerits aren't easily forgotten over at MusicRadar (be warned!).

With that said, I'll reveal the Top 11 along with a link to the story that I personally thought involved more reading than I typically have time for. There's also a number of illustrative videos. When you watch, try to guess what band I think sounds the most like a pair of mobile phones in the throes of passion!

11 trailblazing players who raised the bar for electronic and hybrid drumming

11. KJ Sawka - Pendulum

10. Craig Blundell - Steve Hackett

9. Joe Clegg - Elie Goulding

8. Michael Schack - Netsky

7. The Bays

6. Andy Gangadeen -- The Bays

5. Rick Allen -- Def Leppard

4. Tommy Lee -- Motley Crue

3. Neil Peart -- The Professor (RIP)

2. Danny Carey -- Tool

1. Bill Bruford --King Crimson

Last edited:

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah I miss Jimbo. He was the main catylist for Hybrid drumming. The same time Michael was only playing E drums.

Good to see Joe. He is THE A list authority when it comes to Ableton and modern drumming.

I am missing Billy Ashbaugh from N*Sync though. Another hybrid drummer from the 90’s.

And Gary Wallis, Nick Mason and Manu Katché, who used hybrid already in the 80’s.

Last edited:

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
This age bs doesn't bother me at all,Vista.
Accomplished as they may be,i dont care. Lol
Looks like some have been left out.

cruddola

Reaction score
Face it, the traditional drum set is way behind the capabilities of a hybrid — which is why most pros (under 60) have gone hybrid.

This is such a great topic, and I'm glad Music Radar is injecting new thoughts into our ongoing discussion with a new article on 11 Pioneering Electronic Drummers.

We'll get to the list in the moment, but let's all fondly recall the days (or weeks) earlier this year when several drummers on this forum (including at least one hybrid pioneer) lost their minds over the above statement -- which was proven unequivocally to be absolutely true over a series of more than hundred posts.

Feel free to refresh yourself on that party (and enjoy some winter sports videos) by visiting the thread named Acoustic-Only Drummers are Piloting a Horse-and-Buggy in the Jet Age (https://www.drumforum.org/threads/d...ting-a-horse-and-buggy-in-the-jet-age.171195/)

If you're a typical Drumforumite, this new MusicRar article will be some names you recognize -- to the point you may be uncomfortable with the fact that drummers born not that long after the Great War embraced electronics long before you actually knew it. There may be some additional discomfort over a certain Hall of Fame drummer being listed alongside a drummer whose chief claim to fame is a "rideable" drum set. There's also some other drummers -- mostly of the Electric Daisy Carnival variety -- who you had never heard of until Vistalite Black yet again revealed information you'd remain completely ignorant of were it not for ol' VB! Glad to be of service!

There's also the notable omission of a guy who I think was married to a Betty Boop-esque singer (at least in terms of vocal style) who distracted from her subpar singing by wearing plexiglass clothes. Some demerits aren't easily forgotten over at MusicRadar (be warned!).

With that said, I'll reveal the Top 11 along with a link to the story that I personally thought involved more reading than I typically have time for. There's also a number of illustrative videos. When you watch, try to guess what band I think sounds the most like a pair of mobile phones in the throes of passion!

11 trailblazing players who raised the bar for electronic and hybrid drumming

11. KJ Sawka - Pendulum

10. Craig Blundell - Steve Hackett

9. Joe Clegg - Elie Goulding

8. Michael Schack - Netsky

7. The Bays

6. Andy Gangadeen -- The Bays

5. Rick Allen -- Def Leppard

4. Tommy Lee -- Motley Crue

3. Neil Peart -- The Professor (RIP)

2. Danny Carey -- Tool

1. Bill Bruford --King Crimson

Alex Van Halen and Bill Cobham.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone thinks this is "The Top 11 Groundbreaking

In what way is it “bogus!”
Hitting a rubber pad doesn't qualify anyone as being a groundbreaking electronic or hybrid drummer. If it did, I would have been considered groundbreaking in 1982 and revolutionary in 1990.