11" Zildjian Paper Thin Hats--Dating?

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I recently scored a set of Zildjian 11" paper thin hats on ebay (reputable music store). The seller claimed they "may" be from the 1930s based on the stamps, but I'm not holding my breath. One reason is the appearance of the inked "HI HAT" stamp. My inclination is that they didn't do this in the 30s. One expert has told me he believes they are from that era. Anybody want to weigh in?

Note that the top hat doesn't have "Made in USA." The signature is under the top hat bell. What's the significance?

mountainhick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I read Bill Hartricks info right, 1930's or possibly early 40's is right.

I have a couple like this where the stamp is made from a couple of dies, and the top and bottom sections don't quite line up together. I don't know if the made in USA was a third. Changed to the transition stamp in the 40's

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Mountainhick. What's the significance of the signature under the bell?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
ive got a similar cymbal that i was told was from the same 34-40's era. also sig under bell and same size as yours. mine is a single though. used to use as a fine splash. i was told the sig was just like the k zildjians. the guy who finished the process on the cymbal signed it.

mike

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Coelecanth! I play these regularly with my cocktail outfit. I love the sound. Very high pitched and sizzly.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
i would certainly agree about being debateable. just passing along info that was passed on to me at cymbalholics about 4 or 5 years ago. have no idea as to its validity. :)

mike

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
mountainhick said:
mlayton said:
the guy who finished the process on the cymbal signed it.
mike

Apparently this is debatable. http://www.cymbalhol...om/forums/showt ... res&page=2

I don't know how this carried over to US made Avedis cymbals, especially since the respective companies were run by different people in the Zildjian family.
Mountainhick, I don't know what the significance of the link is, as nothing is really being said. I'm wondering what kind of pen would make this kind of signature in the 30s. Flair pens and permanent markers didn't exist then. I think that back then most inks were water based and would run.

D

drumaholic

The top one is circa 1939 to 1944. Probably on the older end of that scale considering what it's paired up to.

The bottom one is early 1930's.

The signature in this case is hand signed. They used some special type of ink that was compatable with and was able to bond to the bronze, but is still a mystery. The cymbals were not signed by "the maker". There were several who had a role in makiing every cymbal. Most likely they were signed by the boss himself when it passed inspection. But that isn't his "signature".

The "hi-hat" ink designation doesn't give any indication of the era. They did that from the 1930's up until at least the 1960's. The only way to tell what these are is by the trademarks.

Sometimes the "made in U.S.A." didn't make it on the 1930's types. Most have it, but a sizable minority don't. There's nothing significant about that.

tommykat1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks, drumaholic. So they're vintage 1930s paper thin hats as advertised, in all likelihood.

Regardless, I love them and play them regularly.