12" Ludwig CM toms overly resonant?

sillypilot

Reaction score
Hi all - So I'm fighting with my 12" tom that seems to just be overly resonant and pingy. I've tried the following

1. Change heads (Amb on the bottom, and Emp on top)
2. Tuned up the reso higher (3rds and 5ths) and same pitch
3. Played with the tunning of the top head by trying to bring it down or up to get rid of it...sorta worked but the head was loose when the ping went away.
4. Tried drum dial and tune-bot to make sure all pitches or tensions were the same and they are.
5. My 10" and 13" inch sound just fine...it is the 12" that is just ringy and full of overtones. The 10 and 13 have no dampening. I can over dampen the 12 and it sorta cleans up but then it sounds terrible.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on here? It is driving me up the wall.

Thank you all!

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kind of odd. I've heard numerous times about the CMs on other group sites. Not just about the 12s though. Maybe try some different heads with muffling built in the head.

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try an emp on the reso side. Or a moon gel or two on the batter placed 90 degrees from each other, and if necessary a piece of duct tape with a portion of the middle not stuck to the head on the reso.
It also could be the position of the tom in the room your in to a large extent.
Experimentation will yield results.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
I put Vintage Emperors (and coated) on my CMs to tame them a bit more. The Vintage Emps are 2 plies of 7.5mil, slightly thicker than Emps, which are 2 plies of 7mil.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
You mentioned bringing the reso Up...but not down..may wanna try that...
Go underneath play the three toms across and find a middle ground for the 12.
Put the three on the carpet face down and figure in your pitches
Turn em over and do same
Use two keys opposite on the drum it's fast quick precise efficient ; )

Last edited:

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You mentioned bringing the reso Up...but not down..may wanna try that...
Yep. Higher reso usually results in a more resonant, lively tone. Not sure exactly what you're going for, but no reason this drum shouldn't be able to sound great at a variety of tunings.

The closer in pitch the two heads are, the more sustain and pure tone you will get. As the heads deviate from each other, all of that will diminish gradually.

In that case, GENERALLY:

Higher reso + lower batter = more "scooped" punch.

Lower reso + higher batter = more mid-focused attack.

Again, while losing some sustain as the heads move away from each other in pitch.

At the extremes of those tunings, the drum will just lose tone and deaden.

Edit: Btw, I didn't mean this to come across as if you don't know how to tune. Seems like you have a good handle on it. Just felt compelled to post some basics to hopefully help out in figuring out a solution.

Last edited:

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's not out of the question for a nice drum from a reputable brand to have sub standard bearings. Maybe inspect them and have them recut if necessary.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all - So I'm fighting with my 12" tom that seems to just be overly resonant and pingy. I've tried the following

1. Change heads (Amb on the bottom, and Emp on top)
2. Tuned up the reso higher (3rds and 5ths) and same pitch
3. Played with the tunning of the top head by trying to bring it down or up to get rid of it...sorta worked but the head was loose when the ping went away.
4. Tried drum dial and tune-bot to make sure all pitches or tensions were the same and they are.
5. My 10" and 13" inch sound just fine...it is the 12" that is just ringy and full of overtones. The 10 and 13 have no dampening. I can over dampen the 12 and it sorta cleans up but then it sounds terrible.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on here? It is driving me up the wall.

Thank you all!
Same thing happened to my Ludwig 10" tom. I posted about it a while back. It ended up being that the double ply's on the head had split so it would resonate like heck. (Aquarian Performance II). The head came from Amazon already damaged. I got a replacement and it had the same issue. Went to my local Guitar center the following day and got replacement #3 and it fixed the problem. Apparently Amazon's stock has issues. Both heads from them even looked used. Hope you find a solution!

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll place my bet on it being the position of the drum in that particular size, shape of the room. The acoustics of the room are making it sing more than the other drums.
Try a different room or even outside.

Best other guess I see above is a possible defective head. Go single ply all the way.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It also could be the position of the tom in the room your in to a large extent.
Experimentation will yield results.
This. We all typically totally ignore what the room contributes to our drum sound. Move the kit somewhere else and the problem will disappear, almost certainly. But, while in your current room, just slap on a Zero Ring or moon gel.

GeeDeeEmm