12 Lugs

ObiWan

Hillbilly Drummist
Reaction score
I tried to listen to the YT demo. I just can't deal with drumline tunings...

noahJT

prone to DFO-UI
Reaction score
Saw that on the modern drummer email blast today. Those drums are more lug than shell...the drums look like a pretty smile, ruined by braces!

Asher

Reaction score
Saw that on the modern drummer email blast today. Those drums are more lug than shell...the drums look like a pretty smile, ruined by braces!
That's where I saw it too, and your description is perfect. But they've got Bernard Purdie on board, so there must be something to it, right?

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a Slingerland Spitfire 12 lug 14x5 in lacquered brass.It's a great sounding drum ...once you finally get it tuned which at times is a PITA.It's 6, 8 or 10 for me,which I think is plenty.

Steve B

tommykat1

DFO Star
Reaction score
IMHO, 10 lugs choke a 14" snare. I like 8 lug snares. 12 lugs? As in more is better? I think not.

This is someone's idea of "3 minute abs" being a better marketing idea "than 5 minute abs."

noahJT

prone to DFO-UI
Reaction score
That's where I saw it too, and your description is perfect. But they've got Bernard Purdie on board, so there must be something to it, right?
Mmmhm. As lame as the idea seems, you can't argue with him!

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I had a 12 lug Ludwig Coliseum and it was a great drum. I didn't have any problem with the tuning, though it's furnished with lug locks that help keep it in. I do prefer 8-10 though.