12x22. Anybody ?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
jaymandude said:
I have a tough time with 20's, I don't know what it is. Maybe I play too much rock.

Anyone here play a smaller 12x22 for sound or lightweight purposes ?
I have a 22x8.
It is surprisingly resonant and full sounding.
While I can notice a decrease in the drum's "boominess" (compared to 22x14), it really isn't as dry as you might think at that depth.
Pretty cool drum, actually. The bass drum for what I call my "Second Kit".

...with the 13/15 tom setup...

...with the 12/14 tom setup....

...a better shot to show the bass drum's "depth"...

...since these pics were taken, I've added a 16" floor tom, but I have no pics of it, yet.
One thing I did notice about the 8" depth is that it fit very nicely into the footwell of my Ford Ranger.
Never had a bass drum do that before.

Elvis

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my top 5 all time BD for sure. 12 X 22 WFL. I did however reach a really boomy and low end sound with a 14 x 20 Slingerland BD. Emad on the batter side and coated emperor with no port and nothing inside the BD. Definitely worth trying.

Attachments

Woody85

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never played a 12x22" but I just know I'd love the sound and feel of one. I'm afraid to try one for that reason as I'd end up buying one right away haha

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Dixon is adding a short bass drum to the Little Roomer kit options. The current setup uses a cajon for the bass voice. I don't know if it's a 12" though, but it looked close to that in the brief pic I saw.

J

jaymandude

drumfx said:
One of my top 5 all time BD for sure. 12 X 22 WFL. I did however reach a really boomy and low end sound with a 14 x 20 Slingerland BD. Emad on the batter side and coated emperor with no port and nothing inside the BD. Definitely worth trying.
The problem is on a gigging kit like this I get miked. And I don't mind a ported 22, in fact I like it. But a ported 20 is just a dead sounding drum, they never work for me..

Ive got my eyes open for a 12x22, but am considering a new kit with center lugs, like C&C or Bernie Stone.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a Gretsch New Classic 20x18 cut down to about 13" depth. Love it. I don't care about resale value as I don't plan to sell this ever :)

Obiwandrumobe

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
APelletier said:
Ginger Baker and Mitch Mitchell both played 12 x 22...
----------------
...and sounded great, especially their 12x20's.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
jaymandude said:
The problem is on a gigging kit like this I get miked. And I don't mind a ported 22, in fact I like it. But a ported 20 is just a dead sounding drum, they never work for me..

Ive got my eyes open for a 12x22, but am considering a new kit with center lugs, like C&C or Bernie Stone.
If a vintage rig is up your alley, be aware that in the early 1960's Ludwig made a kit they called a New Yorker.
It was a 3- piece setup (sans floor tom), but there's no law that says that you can't add drums to the initial set up.
So why this particular kit?
Check the video and notice the BD size......

[media]
[/media]

Early 60's would be 3-ply MAHOGANY / Poplar shells.

...but I bet if you asked nicely, Ludwig would make you a 22x12 BD from their Legacy series drums.

Elvis

Last edited by a moderator:

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
If drummers were more inclined to shop with their ears and not their eyes there'd probably be a lot more 12x22s out in the world (and maybe fewer 20x22s). My 12x22 is nice and punchy sounding.

Here's my New Yawker...with an added floor tom...just now bought an 18" FT of roughly the same vintage to add on to this set.

kb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
K.O. did you list your musical sources?

Artist and recording dates?

I missed that somehow....

By the way, I think a 12x22 would be a great size...somewhat easier to schlepp than a regular 14" depth, but has a sound no twenty can really get to....

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
K.O. did you list your musical sources?

Artist and recording dates?

I missed that somehow....
That's Jack Sperling doing Sing Sing Sing from the album Fascinating Rhythm. One of my all time favorite "drum" albums I don't recall the name of the intro song.

Yes Elvis, 12/16/18/22 but I do have a matching 13 from slightly earlier in 1959 (although it has glass glitter red wrap instead of sparkle, transition between the two must have been sometime between March and December of that year) so I have the option of 13/16/18/22 or 12/13/16/18/22 if I rigged up some type of tom stand. Got a red sparkle 14x14 as well but it is a few years newer and technically part of another set.

Reaction score
Elvis said:
The problem is on a gigging kit like this I get miked. And I don't mind a ported 22, in fact I like it. But a ported 20 is just a
dead sounding drum, they never work for me.

If a vintage rig is up your alley, be aware that in the early 1960's Ludwig made a kit they called a New Yorker.
It was a 3- piece setup (sans floor tom), but there's no law that says that you can't add drums to the initial set up.
So why this particular kit?
Check the video and notice the BD size......

[media]
[/media]

Early 60's would be 3-ply MAHOGANY / Poplar shells.

...but I bet if you asked nicely, Ludwig would make you a 22x12 BD from their Legacy series drums.

Elvis

FYI: Ludwig built me a Legacy maple New Yorker bass drum two years ago.
And, I have a 1957 New Yorker outfit in Oyster Black Pearl, 22x12, 16x16, 13x9, 6.5x14, mahogany shells.
They look and sound great too!

J

jaymandude

I like the New Yorker idea but my preferred gigging sizes are 22-12-14.

So instead of buying vintage with a 13-16, I'm thinking new with the 12-14 and center lugs