12x22. Anybody ?

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
jaymandude knows, 22-12-14. :thumbup:

Thanks for chiming in Bun. I figured they would. I think it was Frondelli who mentioned a few years ago that these days, Ludwig is willing to build just about any of their drums in any size one would wish for.
He likened them to the world's most prolific custom shop.

Elvis

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I cut down a pearl to a 22x8 used it live last week no muffling p3 batter stock front with center port akg d112 for a mic and it sounded good

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you! Would you recommend a vintage Ludwig from the 1960's? I have the opportunity to purchase one.
Vintage drums have their own sound, separate from sizes. If you're doing something where that vibe is what you want, then definitely. If you're doing something where you want a more modern sound, that's probably not going to get it for you.

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thank you! Would you recommend a vintage Ludwig from the 1960's? I have the opportunity to purchase one.
We’ll if you don’t buy it there will probably be a line of members here that would be interested!
I have one that has a maple outer ply and mahogany inside, originally wmp wrap.
Best sounding bass drum I’ve ever had.
That has been my gigging bass for the last few years.

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
Vintage drums have their own sound, separate from sizes. If you're doing something where that vibe is what you want, then definitely. If you're doing something where you want a more modern sound, that's probably not going to get it for you.
Thank you! that is a great point! I guess I am more so worried about the bass drum being full enough to give me that "thud" and body as I get from a 16 or 18X22 kick.

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
We’ll if you don’t buy it there will probably be a line of members here that would be interested!
I have one that has a maple outer ply and mahogany inside, originally wmp wrap.
Best sounding bass drum I’ve ever had.
That has been my gigging bass for the last few years.
Thanks! I agree with you. Do you think it'll be much different from a modern kit? I'm going to use it in a Church as the main kit.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! I agree with you. Do you think it'll be much different from a modern kit? I'm going to use it in a Church as the main kit.
If it's modern worship / Hillsong-style stuff, a vintage kit is 100% the wrong vibe for that. The sound I hear in my head for that style is late 90s/early 2000s DW. Sharp edges, scooped mids in the toms, deep kicks.

I mean, they'll work in as far as they'll sound like drums, but it won't be the right sound, IMO.

sbarrett1106

Reaction score
If it's modern worship / Hillsong-style stuff, a vintage kit is 100% the wrong vibe for that. The sound I hear in my head for that style is late 90s/early 2000s DW. Sharp edges, scooped mids in the toms, deep kicks.

I mean, they'll work in as far as they'll sound like drums, but it won't be the right sound, IMO.
Thank you, that makes sense! I guess I need to try them out first

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
Really? why do you say that? the bass drum is a 12x22
I love the sound of my 12x22, deep, round yet punchy. I was goofing when I said it will sound better, but I really feel you can get vintage drums to sound more modern with heads and tuning.

Thebstar

Reaction score
I have both a 12x20 and 12x22 Gretsch Roundbadge. The 12x20 is a 6ply 60’s orphan cut down by Mattoon Drums. It is fantastic!! The 12x22 is an original 3ply Roundbadge badge Brooklyner. Love them both!! The thing I prefer with a shorter kick is the feel of the rebound and the reso head response. The 12” really play great as well as Sounding great. Anything deeper than a 14 on a 20 or 16 on a 22 changes the reso response too much for me.

Here they are, band logo is a 12x22, 8x12, 14x14 and other is 12x22, 9x13, 16x16

Attachments

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have both a 12x20 and 12x22 Gretsch Roundbadge. The 12x20 is a 6ply 60’s orphan cut down by Mattoon Drums. It is fantastic!! The 12x22 is an original 3ply Roundbadge badge Brooklyner. Love them both!! The thing I prefer with a shorter kick is the feel of the rebound and the reso head response. The 12” really play great as well as Sounding great. Anything deeper than a 14 on a 20 or 16 on a 22 changes the reso response too much for me.

Here they are, band logo is a 12x22, 8x12, 14x14 and other is 12x22, 9x13, 16x16
Really sweet drums!!
I would love to hear that 12x20.