13” vs 14” HATS, ALL OTHER THINGS BEING THE SAME

little rock

Reaction score
Little Rock, that’s a pretty long run; how would you describe the Sabian Lights, and what do you use them for?
I need to qualify something. I haven't gigged since 3/22/08, but they have been on the stand all that time in the practice room. I used them with a Catalina bop set for bar band gigs along with a 22" Sabian HH Jazz Ride and a 20" Sabian HH Flat Bell Ride. I always had aspirations of being aa jazzer, lol. That set would cover anything I could throw at it. The hats were just an excellent pair. They are at my other house or I would give you the weights. They are fast and not high pitched at all. They have a nice chick sound. They have a full sound, not thin or chirpy like a lot of smaller hats. They really shined on Honky Tonk Women. I had bought two different sets of 14" Sabian HH hats, I think they refer to them as Regular or Medium Hats and a set of HHX Manhattan hats that are really sweet before I got these. None of them did anything for me, then I saw these on Ebay and thought, "What the heck" and pulled the trigger on them. When I got them, it was love at first listen. I couldn't be happier with a set. I also have a set of 14" A. Zildjian Lights that I really like. I guess I'm just a Light hats guy. I think I may have just lucked out on these. Hope this gave you some insight. Take care, Rocky

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve played 13’s for 25 years now. First Zildjian Mastersounds, then Paiste Medium Heavy Sound Formula , Heavy Sigs and back to Med Heavy. I switched to 13’s strictly for faster footwork. If you play just quarters or eights or upbeats, then 14’s are fine. But if you are integrating 16’s or triplets with your left foot in doubles or fast patterns, the 13’s are just quicker. Now as far as stick playing goes, if you play a ton of closed hat stuff or half open, you may be better served with 14’s or 15’s, especially for volume playing. That said Neil played 13” hats for quite a lot of years and he did fine!

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my 13" New Beats. Just like the 14" version but quieter and quicker. My 13" A Customs are pretty good, and I have some Sabians that are pretty decent. I also have some 12" Recording Hats that've saved my bacon in a lot of crummy acoustical environments.

thejohnlec

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had 13” hi hats forever - Ufips in junior high school, Sabians in high school/college, and I’m currently using the same Zildjian K/Z hats I got just before I graduated college, about 30 years ago. Aside from durability (for which I’m quite thankful), I like the combination of projection, control-ability, and warmth they have. They find a nice spot in our 8-piece band (3 horns) and record well too.

At some point, I’d like to get a 13” K to use as a bottom for acoustic and trio gigs.

We have 14” K hats at our church that sound good. I find myself putting a little more effort into controlling them and being mindful of my double strokes on them, and I don’t see them as being as versatile tone-wise as my main hats, but they sound great for what they offer.

Reaction score
I was using two different pairs of 14" Zildjian new beats: one pair from the 60's and the other from the 70's. They both sound good when playing with a stick, but were barely audible when using the foot for the chick sound. I tried a chick-ring, it increased the volume but I did not like the sound. Last month I bought a pair of Istanbul, Agop, 30th anniversary 16" hi-hats. Talk about loving the sound. These are lighter than my Zildjians and they play well and have a more pleasing sound.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the 13" route and didn't like them. I had 13" & 14" of the same series (Istanbul Mehmet). Faster yes but they lacked everything else. 14" & 15" are a better combo. 14" is ultra versatile and 15" has major power. I currently use 14" Paiste 2002 sound edge and 15" Paiste Colorsound Heavy. I will never go back to trying the 13"s. The only time I've ever heard 13's that I've liked is with Stewart Copeland. Maybe it's a Paiste thing? I don't know!

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can be persuaded to part with my 13.25 K Custom Hybrids. They are really good and sound great, but I'll probably never play them again. When I play out I always seem to err on the side of safe and take my 14" 60's stamps A's. I kinda feel like vintage 14" A's are the equivalent of the Ludwig Supraphonic. They work for everything. I now have a set of 14" K-Cons and I like them more than the K Custom Hybrids. But I am still going to take those A's to the next gig.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don’t own 13s, but have some played some on house drums. I personally cannot stand 13s as opposed to a standard 14 sized or larger. It’s a more difficult target to hit for one thing. They feel small and generally have a more annoying high pitch. 14s are small enough.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have hihat pairs in 10,12,13,14, and 15 inches....a mixture of Zildjian, Paiste, Dream, and Sabian.
My main touring hats is a pair of Zildjian 13's.....two bottoms....one a new beat and another a quick beat....flat with the 4 holes. These work perfectly as that band plays reggae/funk/ska etc. Another touring band calls for 15" Dream Bliss hats which are more washy. These pairs are pretty music/band specific.
14's of various weights are used for local shows and there are tight sounding sets and splooshy sounding sets of hats.
Size doesn't matter as the music will dictate what hats are used....and as for recording who knows what will work that day.....
bt