13" floor tom/drumstick between a 2S&3S.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
It's always been my aspiration, desire&dream to have &own,
A different, unique "custom" drum kit. 8-12" rack Tom's,
13" floor tom&18&20" kick. So far my research has shown me those that do make kits with a, 13" floor tom,
Only offer either a 16 or18" bass drum & 1x10" tom
Add on is only 8" tom. Who else besides : Campus, DW, Ludwig, PDP, Sonor makes 13" floor tom?. Also who makes a drumstick between a 2S&3S?.

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The thing with "between a 2S and a 3S" is that drumstick sizes aren't standardized between companies; that is, a 7A will run the gamut between .510 to .540 in width to between 15 and 16 inches in length, and so on with other models. If you have dimensions in mind, you can plug them into the search on Vic Firth's site to find models in that range; maybe other manufacturers have a search.

Offhand, some type of concert stick or indoor marching stick might fit the bill, but those could be "fully 2S" depending and manufacturer and preference, etc.

The 13" floor could be as simple as hanging a 13" into the right hand position, which is what Steve Gadd did for years (along with a 14"). If you want legs, it might be simplest to just buy an orphan drum and add legs—I'd bet isolation tips would be most useful for such a small drum.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Adding legs to an old 12x13 power tom is one easy way to get yourself a 13" floor tom. Many companies made that size drum in the 80s and 90s (some still might). At least one company (Slingerland) made square sized power mounted toms (13x13, 14x14, 15x15, etc.) for a while.

It depends on how hands on you want to get. It's relatively easy to add some legs to a tom. A fair amount more effort and cost if you also want to fill any extra holes from the original mounts then rewrap to match other drums. You could seek out drums that match already or even buy a whole set to match. Early Ludwig Rocker sets had very decent 4 ply maple/poplar shells, almost universally had power sized toms, and can often be found very cheap. One of these basic five piece sets (I bought one last year for $100) would get you the makings of a 13" floor tom, a 12" floor tom (if you wanted, but why not?), and a 16" bass drum (either rebuilding the floor tom as such or using a conversion kit from Pearl or Trick). Then you still have a snare and have the larger bass drum in reserve in case you find you need to play a bigger venue. The small toms would possibly be a bit trickier, probably not that hard to find, possibly you could find a set that included them from the get go, but they would inevitably be power depthed as well. That's not necessarily a bad thing in the case of an 8 or 10" tom to add some guts to the sound but might not fit your desired visual aesthetic.

Really any brand of big old "power tom" might be relatively cheap since those sizes are out of fashion but obviously a set of top of the line drums in any sizes will be a fair amount more than something like a set of Rockers and might make one less inclined to "hack" them up.

If you don't want to go that route of going all out on converting a whole set then power depth 13" orphans are not difficult to find on ebay and such.

I have personally done the power tom to floor conversion three times, converting 12x13 and 13x14 Ludwig 6 plies and one Slingerland 15x15 five ply into floor toms. In my case I filled the holes from the original mounts (something of a task on the Ludwigs which both originally had modular mounts, I fiberglass the big hole) and rewrapped them to match existing sets. I just used the 13" last weekend and it's a great sounding drum as a floor tom. In fact I hope to build up a couple more floors in that size if I come across any good buys in orphan drums that size locally.

Here's a picture of one of my sets with the smaller floor tom being one of the converted 13" toms (the other "big" floor is a conventional 14x14).

20190907_202413.jpg

If you won't get too judgmental about my limited playing skills you can hear it played thru this entire song from the same gig...

If money is no object then Gretsch USA will build you a set in pretty much any size configuration you want. Just contact Steve Maxwell and he can make almost anything happen in that regard but it will be expensive. Many other custom builders willing to do whatever. I don't have a lot of extra money so I'm always taking the DIY route.

Last edited:

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Roll your own. Here’s my 10/13/20 set assembled from orphans. Cheap to do and saved some nice vintage drums!
2030208E-2A08-433A-B3F2-B19CB2C83F47.jpeg

Ludwig26

Reaction score
Wow!!!!!,
The advice,assistance, care, compassion, help, has completely, totally, blown me away,
I never ever expected such kindness from strangers!!!!!,
I'll investigate &research "orphan" drums
Love, peace, respect, many &massive thank you.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I was looking for both best, ever quality &thinnest shell "orphans" what brands should &would I be looking for?.
Thin shells? Gretsch probably.

The aforementioned Ludwig Rockers have a thin shell and the early ones are actually very decent quality. The lugs are functional but perhaps not the best ( Ludwig classic lugs will fit the same holes) but otherwise they are kind of "sleepers" if you get the right ones...which is the rub there.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If I was looking for both best, ever quality &thinnest shell "orphans" what brands should &would I be looking for?.
Furthermore....

I pretty much confine myself to mostly vintage American made drums so I can't really speak towards what would work for your needs from the overseas companies but I'd bet there would be viable candidates from Yamaha, Tama, Pearl, and Sonor, if not more. They all make some great high end drums but I'm not sure on the thickness of their various lines.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got to agree with some of the above opinions. The 10 and 13 on my set are early 70s Gretsch power toms. The thin shells and triple flange rims let them cut thru way above their pay grade! They were drilled for Pearl mounts. Hardware badly painted black. Cast rims missing. No one would take them for free. The bass is a 1958 Ludwig I picked up at the local flea market for $15. Some water damage, drilled for Japanese lugs. Repaired the
B6A467D6-A026-4B16-A716-4A71BB561CFB.jpeg
damage, change the lugs out for some Gretsch I had left over. The mahogany shell just kills it for 20. Wrapped the whole thing in Indonesian batik cloth for some kind of continuity. It’s basically an exercise to see if I could use up everything in the storage room to build this out without buying anything. Note the Pearl/ Ludwig Tom mount. Particularly proud of that hack! Worked great! My favorite gig kit. Between the cut from the Tom’s, and the warm thud from that Mahogany bass it does well. And, people really dig it!

Last edited:

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Ludwig classic lugs will fit the same holes
Depending on which Rocker lugs....the later ones are wider spaced than Classic lugs though the lugs them selves look to be the same size....thanks Ludwig :)

Ludwig Classic maple shells are pretty thin as well and might due well searching for a 13" power tom

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
got this 13” pearl export power tom for $10. had some extra wmp wrap that i put on it, bought legs/mounts, and it has been my floor tom since april 2016.
2415A6E7-20C0-4C34-A0BB-46698B8800DD.jpeg

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was playing a 14x20, 7x8, 12x13 set for a while.
I still use it from time to time but I found that the toms kind of get lost in an amplified setting. I never set up mics and monitors at practices, either.
My 13" was a Blue/Olive badge Ludwig power tom with the modular mount.
Took off all of the extra hardware and then threw in a Rims mount.
I hated the hanging floor tom and would definitely recommend getting legs.
A 13" floor sounds cool, with a little big more responsive pop than bigger drums when tuned low. I'd try it out.

Latest posts