13 inch snare drums

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have 2 13s. Both Brass. one is 6x13 (was a timbale) and another worldmax 5x13. I use the 5 in a RIMS mount for a coffee house gig...its got a nice dead center sounds and great rimshots.

I would certainly consider a Pork Pie... great drums

Soulfinger

Reaction score
I´ve had a couple of 13s - Gretsch Mark Schulman, Tama G-Maple, Yamaha Musashi. All excellent drums! I especially liked the Gretsch once I replaced the 42-strand snare wires with a 20.
Sold them all because I really prefer 14s for jazz (brushes, side stick) but I kept my Pearl 13x3 brass piccolo which is simply an amazing drum, very versatile. In a medium-low tuning it has a beautiful open, singing tone - tuned high it´s funk/hip hop heaven.
13s certainly have their place.

VintageUSA

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 7X13 Black Magic BNOB.................great snare drum.
It amazes me how much room is provided in my set-up by having a smaller snare.
I told my wife it is good to have an extra inch between my legs.............har har.

IMG_1194 (3).JPG
IMG_1198 (2).JPG

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was given a wonderful gift by one of my customers--Rockin Robin in Houston--when I retired as a manufacturer's representative. Over many years, I've also been a frequent customer of theirs. The guys at the shop knew my likes and dislikes for vintage drums. I was blown away when they handed me this vintage 4x13 Slingerland Radio King snare drum. The wrap blends well with my late 60's Slingy 12-14-20 red/white/blue set. The drum came to me with a weather king Fiberskin batter head. It produces my preferred snare sound--a whip crack with no over ring.

Attachments

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use a 13 inch snare exclusively. I got this 13x7 TAMA Starclassic bubinga over ten years ago and I don't think I have touched a 14 inch snare since. It was made for Dale's Drum Shop 25th anniversary. I found I am much more comfortable with a 13 inch snare. It does everything for me as well as any 14 inch. The range is incredible on this drum. Picked up the DW 13x5 Workshop maple just three months ago (shell is stamped OCT 4 2000) and it's also an incredible snare. Great contrast between 13x7 bubinga and 13x5 maple. Also have a TAMA Starclassic bubinga 13X6 I snagged on eBay a few years back. All great drums. I've been using a 13 inch so long that a 14 now feels uncomfortable for me.

Just WOW! on that Starclassic. Absolutely gorgeous. I love my stock ddrum 13x7" snare. Nice pop, you can tune it lower, and honestly 1" of room whilst sitting at the kit makes a little difference.

J

jaymandude

Just WOW! on that Starclassic. Absolutely gorgeous. I love my stock ddrum 13x7" snare. Nice pop, you can tune it lower, and honestly 1" of room whilst sitting at the kit makes a little difference.
I thought the same about that Tama drum.

Not to get all snobbish. I went thru 3 or 4 13” snares before I found something I loved. Of course that is a 6.5x13 Craviotto with birds eye and nickel hardware. If I were to get another it would be the pork pie. For sure. Sound great , easy to tune, almost like a supraphonic that way

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ive had a 5.5x13 brass Sensitone and a 6x13 Ludwig PowerPic,6 ply maple,both great snares.
The Ludwig was wonderful!
Currently,i have a Boomtheory 5.5xx13,maple,DC hoops,the thing will talk!
Wack,that shell looks great!
Worth it.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
41C5A468-7E81-4A96-A51B-2EC146AC8E36.jpeg
I just sold a 13” Tama stagestar steel snare. It was awesome, but I just have too many snares. It had to go, but I miss it. You can get them cheap, used too! Crank it up and it made an awesome side snare!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
These are hard to find, but they're out there. With an aluminum shell, the Rogers Satellite "skinny" drum was a 13" snare produced for only a couple of years in the mid 70s.

View attachment 389996
The "shell" is aluminum?
Those drums are deceptively heavy.
I always figured it was the same cast iron that used to be used for mike stands (The dome shaped ones)...even the same black crinkle finish!
...who'd a thunk it! =)

Elvis

Marquisjohnson22

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had a love for 13" snares over my lifetime but have never typically had more than 1 or 2 in my collection at an given time. Right now my 13" snare of choice is a 6 lug 6.5x13 Pearl Reference snare and it is utterly amazing. Can be tuned up, down and everywhere in between and cuts through like a hot knife in butter.

Burps

Reaction score
I bought a 13" Remo MasterTouch piccolo snare and loved it so much that I eventually bought a whole kit to match it. Except the kit was then known as MasterEdge.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I bought a 13" Remo MasterTouch piccolo snare and loved it so much that I eventually bought a whole kit to match it. Except the kit was then known as MasterEdge.
Not sure what you meant by "was then known as Masteredge"
Because Masteredge was always Masteredge.
Masteredge and Mastertouch were 2 different lines, although similar, except Masteredge series drums have the molded bearing edge, thus the name difference.

Would love to see pics of your Remo kit.

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
I played 14" snares up until about 10 years ago then I switched to a 12" pork pie. Now a days I play 13" almost always, I fill in for a cover band when there drummer cant make a gig which is maybe once or twice a year so I keep my 14" Powertone. They are a 70-80 rock band so that snare fits the music better then my 13" snare would. I play either 2 bass drums or double pedal I like the smaller snare my legs can get closer together plus I just love the sound of a 13"

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
13's tend to sound good mid or high tuned. I've owned two 6.5x13 Yamaha oak Musashi snares - they were nice, but I sold each. The only 13 I have now is a Pork Pie patina in 7x13 - very interesting snare. Very loud and sensitive.....

Burps

Reaction score
Not sure what you meant by "was then known as Masteredge"
Because Masteredge was always Masteredge.
Masteredge and Mastertouch were 2 different lines, although similar, except Masteredge series drums have the molded bearing edge, thus the name difference.

Would love to see pics of your Remo kit.
Yes! You are correct about that. I didn't word my statement very well. All I meant was that when I went to order the MasterTouch drums, they were discontinued and replaced by the MasterEdge. So I ordered the Edge kit in the same black wrap as the piccolo.

For some reason, I can't seem to find the pictures of my kit except this one, which obviously doesn't show the kit very well. The snare in this photo is of a green 14" MasterTouch and not the 13" piccolo.

IMG_0223.jpg