13" Snare Drums

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I sold off the last 13" snare I had years ago and have no desire to go back. I prefer a 14 or a 15 (although I currently have no 15s). I did briefly consider a 13" snare earlier today but the price isn't a great deal on it, so I passed.
It's funny how tastes change, and it's not just drums - it's food, cars, whatever. I just wish you were selling off those awful 13's now rather than years ago. :laughing6:

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
For years - decades, actually - I resisted any snare drum that was not 14 inches in diameter. My reasoning was anything other would throw off my timing since I am mainly a brush player and am usually checking my quarter note sweep against when my hats close on the 2 and 4. Then I started using small kits that came with 13 and 12 inch snare drums. Embarrassingly it only took a day or so of heavy woodshedding to get the timing right, and the missing real head real estate was not a real problem. One of my favorite 13" snare drums is the exact same model as yours. It's pretty impressive, and definitely great for brush playing.
Mike, I believe I remember you getting your Hip set roughly the same time I got mine, and I've been wondering what you thought about the included snare drum. I can't believe it's so cheap and sounds so good. I've actually been kicking around the idea of wrapping it in vintage WMP so it'll look like I spent some time selecting it for the sound, lol

LarryJ

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another Tama special edition. 13x7 maple Artwood, originally with black anodized hardware. Door prize at a local drum clinic. The only snare I use for jazz, and it kicks a big band in the butt.

Tama Artwood (ultimate).jpeg

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Mike, I believe I remember you getting your Hip set roughly the same time I got mine, and I've been wondering what you thought about the included snare drum. I can't believe it's so cheap and sounds so good. I've actually been kicking around the idea of wrapping it in vintage WMP so it'll look like I spent some time selecting it for the sound, lol
That snare drum (heck, the entire kit) is underrated. I was so surprised by the snare drum, though. You just know the entire kit would look killer in vintage WMP!

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Gretsch Brooklyn 4.5x13" that comes with the Brooklyn Micro kit is 6 lug and had a hard time getting a good sound with the usual Coated Ambassador. ...after trying half a dozen single ply and two ply heads the best sound came out of an Evans EC2 Frosted batter and now she can come out to the gigs!- Anyone else that has this drum- Please share your thoughts....

gretsch 4x13.jpg

Freewill3

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was also in the camp of never considering 13" as an option. I think there was an oversaturation in the 90's with all the "popcorn" snares that were associated with numetal, etc. I picked the Tama Kapur 7x13 and was really impressed.

pjmariner

Reaction score
I have an acrolite used as my main snare from 4th grade concert band till about 1994 when I got this 3x13 maple piccolo. It has a much larger tuning range then you would think for its size and I don’t have to tune it super tight to get the sound I want. Since I’ve had this snare, the acrolite as well as a few others have made appearances, but this is my 99% of the time snare. This pic is from about six months ago when I tore it down and and cleaned all the hardware. Good as new.
FF5A49E3-4447-420B-B624-D199EE3CC7AC.jpeg

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, those Pearl 13x3s are superb! I have both the steel and the brass version, and they get played a lot (as main snares).

I´ve owned a couple other 13s as well:
Yamaha Musashi 13x6,5 - great little drum for that Steve Jordan type of high pitched crack, but lacking at lower tunings IMO.
Sonor Ascent Beech 13x7 - very good, but I found it to be a bit one-dimensional in sound.
Tama G-Maple 13x7 - fantastic drum all around!
Gretsch Mark Schulman 13x6 - swapped the 42-strand snare wires for a 20, and bingo! The poor man´s Benny Greb snare. Really, really good.

Sold them all because I favour metal shells these days but I wouldn´t mind having the Tama or the Gretsch back.

dingaling

Reaction score
The Gretsch Brooklyn 4.5x13" that comes with the Brooklyn Micro kit is 6 lug and had a hard time getting a good sound with the usual Coated Ambassador. ...after trying half a dozen single ply and two ply heads the best sound came out of an Evans EC2 Frosted batter and now she can come out to the gigs!- Anyone else that has this drum- Please share your thoughts....

View attachment 518617
Someone on the forum just sold me one. It’ll be here Friday. Will let you know what I think. It’ll be my first 13” snare.

Attachments

dingaling

Reaction score
So you're the lucky one who snagged that deal.
Guilty as charged! Perfect timing because I was looking for a 13” snare and I have a Gretsch USA 12/14/16BD in maple color to pair it with.

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I currently own 2 Ludwig 3x13 snare drums one is a hammered bronze B stock and the other is a hammered Black Beauty ....amazing drums and if I can find either the Yamaha Musashi or the new RC Brass 6x13 at a reasonable price I will own one. I enjoy this size as either main or side snare options...