13" Snare Drums

IVER

Reaction score
I never even had 13" snare drums on my radar. I just never cared for the idea of them. That is until this year when I bought a Yamaha Hip set, mostly for fitting into tight spaces when needed. The set came with a 6 lug birch 13" snare, which I didn't even want. I considered selling it off, but I decided I would use it as a cheap backup snare and for practice.

What I didn't expect was how much I have grown to like that little snare drum. It sounds nice and big. The rim shots are loud and sound great. It's more comfortable to play because it allows more space for my legs. The band says they like my sound when I play it. I really don't have anything negative to say about this drum, and I may even take it along with some of my bigger set gigs.

Not bad for a drum I first wished they hadn't even included with the set. Maybe I'll get another one someday that's a little deeper, and I'm sure you 13" players will help me pick one out when I do!

View attachment 518457
About a decade ago, I bought a second-hand 13-inch, wood shell Tama Superstar snare. Up to that point, I had always played a 14-inch Ludwig, which other drummers always wanted to buy once they played it. I fell in love with the smaller snare, and use it for all my live dates as well as in the studio. Playing brushes on the smaller surface took some getting used to, but I now rarely use the Ludwig.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Love love love love them. Leg space is a big one, it just feels more ergonomic for an average size individual. Just all around a cool snare size. I’m a little jealous cuz I don’t have a 6 lug 13” snare (yet!). That looks like fun. I’m just starting a 12x7 snare with 6 lugs, another fantastic size that doesn’t get enough respect. A good 12” snare is a BLAST to play.

Some favorites:

DaVille Drumworks Walnut shell 13x7
5A279402-2641-4EEB-AE80-CEF910C859B7.jpeg

13x6 hammered Bakar
82C4C15E-3E32-4129-A214-70C26C8E3BA2.jpeg

13x6 Supralite (awesome drum @ $200!)
2DB2F957-3C9E-4394-BF89-0042E88DD76F.jpeg

Last but not least the Tama SLP G-Maple - Kenny Sharretts gets some great sounds from this drum, kind of a testament to 13” snares:

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I took some extra time today with my 13" snare because i,ve been concerned about the arthritis in my legs. It bothers me after an hour or so on my kit, and im thinking having my legs apart that wide is whats causing the pain. Years of training have finally taken hold and i feel every move.
Having the smaller snare made a huge difference today, and after 2 hrs, i felt zero pain, not to mention it sounds great!

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Love love love love them. Leg space is a big one, it just feels more ergonomic for an average size individual. Just all around a cool snare size. I’m a little jealous cuz I don’t have a 6 lug 13” snare (yet!). That looks like fun. I’m just starting a 12x7 snare with 6 lugs, another fantastic size that doesn’t get enough respect. A good 12” snare is a BLAST to play.

Some favorites:

DaVille Drumworks Walnut shell 13x7

13x6 hammered Bakar View attachment 519229

13x6 Supralite (awesome drum @ $200!)
Last but not least the Tama SLP G-Maple - Kenny Sharretts gets some great sounds from this drum, kind of a testament to 13” snares:
Wow, that Oriollo shell is beautiful.