14” (under 16”) crash recommendations? - or just play an open hat?

murraythehump

Reaction score
Looking for your recommendations for a smaller crash (or similar small effect cymbal, small china even). What do you like? Favorites?

...not a huge fan of splash cymbals, but would like to get right up to the edge of that territory. Something fun to add to a cymbal set that already has larger crashes and rides.

Also curious do you simply use an open hi-hat for this purpose - or would a small crash be better?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What are the other cymbals in your set up?

I played a 14” 2002 Crash for a long time and it is a very nice cymbal.

But if you’re playing Agop Turks, for example, it’d stick out like a sore thumb.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A 14" makes a nice alternative to a splash if you don't like splashes. I have a thin 14" 1950s A. Zildjian in one set-up and a thin 15" Bosphorus in another for that reason. I place them on a mini-boom right above my hats. I can easily hit it while playing the hats.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For recommendations, I'd go with something thin and bright, probably fully lathed. I think all the cymbal-makers have something that would fit the bill.

RyanLovesDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good topic. I’d like to hear people’s responses to this. What I’ve been using as a small crash is a 14” Paiste PSTX Swiss flanger crash. It’s a fun cymbal and it’s reasonable. Stewart Copeland uses one! Check out the picture. It’s second from the left, it’s slightly bent and has holes in it.
5307AEA1-8F6E-44D6-A5C1-ACD6FB6BC2F1.jpeg

Latdrummer

Reaction score
For a 14” or 15” crash you wouldn’t want anything heavier than a “thin” model, so it’s either thin or paper thin, fortunately if a manufacturer offers crashes in those sizes it’s going to fall within those weights. Never have used a crash smaller than 16” so can’t make recommendations, but I’m sure there are plenty of options from the main american, european and turkish makers.

And forget about using a single hi-hat cymbal (but try it for yourself), they are pretty heavy for crash use and even if you manage to get a thin top, they are not made in the same way as a crash cymbal (taper, profile, hammering, lathing).

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always had a small, very thin cymbal in my setup for quick accents. During the '70s and '80s I used a 13" 1930s-'40s vintage Zildjian (480 g). Since I got it in 1984 I've used a 15" Paper-Thin A Zildjian Crash (727 g). The location that works best for me is above my left-hand rack tom.

murraythehump

Reaction score
What are the other cymbals in your set up?
16” Agop Signature Crash
20” Agop Signature Crash
19” Kerope
22” Kerope (riveted)

So overall: thin, dark, dry, low pitched, and quick.

Last edited:

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played both a 15” K Dark Crash and a 15” Sound Formula Thin Crash. They both were fast as heck and I loved the accents off them. That said if you ride crashes as I sometimes do, they both were too small. I used to do this with a 16” A Zildjian Thin crash and it worked far better than the 15”’s. Hey you know what was great that I owned in a 14”? A Wuhan China cymbal. That little size was great for accents, stack and outright China riding. Don’t ratchet them down though, they do crack under stress.

larold

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
16” Agop Signature Crash
20” Agop Signature Crash
19” Kerope
22” Kerope (riveted)

So overall: thin, dark, dry, low pitched, and quick.
Agop makes 14" crashes in thin and paper thin. The sell for $211.75.

Amazon has paper thin 14" Mehmet and Bosphorus crashes for much less, but both of them are out-of-stock, so you'd have to order them and hope Amazon fills the order later:

GrandfatherOdin

Reaction score
I have the perfect 14" crash that matches your description. Right on the edge of a splash, thin and wavy bright cymbal fully-lathed with a quick, snappy response. I put mine above the high-hats to the left a bit so I can give it a good it a nice clean swish with my left hand. Very cool light-bright crash that is in and out quickly and sounds very differently from all my bigger crashes.

Unfortunately it is a prototype cymbal, so not the best recommendation for acquiring. I'm assuming this is a prototype for the masters series, but it may also be a 602 ME prototype as well. So if you see a Masters 14" crash on the market, try to get a sound sample.

20210719_185631.jpg

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
Straight up I'll confess to being an old A. Zildjian fan. They usually blend in well with cymbals from other manufacturers. If you decide to go that route, I think a 14 inch paper thin jazz age crash would be a solid choice. My favorite accent cymbal is my 660g 14 inch paper thin A. Zildjian from the late 1950s. It works with pretty much everything in the darker end of things including my own Agop Xist 16in crash. In terms of how dark it is, its about in the middle between my trans stamps and my 70s Zildjians.

I made this bogus little video for a friend who was looking at my 14's twin. He likes to hit his accent with a double stroke, which is why I played it that way. (yeah yeah, he broke his old one)

edits because I saw his cymbal list late.

Last edited: