14"x8" Brass Snare Shell

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks like he measured the thumb screws too...
Maybe it's more like a 6" shell?

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
I have a brass cuspidor that I've been thinking of bodging into a drum. Chop off the bottom just past the bead and do a reinforcing ring, maybe one in the middle also. 14" heads fit perfectly but it's thin-walled, maybe .5 mm (sorry, no micrometer). The open end is already reinforced with a weld or solder and of course, the seam is obvious.

Hey, you said "project," right? :)

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Now that is a cool spitoon! I bet you could make little slits and fold over the edges to make a snare with a tight edge. My 6.5 Dunnett bronze has that type of thin flat edge that is hard as a mofo and sounds great. DB: That's it, man!

At my work, we have 2 fancy table lights that have stainless steel (at least that's the plating) lamp shades. They are 13" perfectly in diameter and both edges are curved in like a rounded bearing edge. I am trying to figure out how to convince the boss to switch the "ugly decor" or somehow bribe the janitor into "accidentally" breaking them so I can score them as snares! Think outside the box......

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. That would be cool!
I've thought about buying a deeper-than-8" shell and cutting it down but the fellas around here seemed to think it would be too hard to put a new bearing edge on. I was thinking a machine shop could do it, but don't know what kind or where to take it.

FloydZKing

fire bad!
Reaction score
That's the beauty of thin brass - it's relatively soft and easy to cut and shape without heavy equipment.