14x16 Gretsch Round Badge field snare drum natural Maple lacquer nitrocellulose

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Just landed this 14x16 gretsch round badge rope tension field snare drum....

Look at that original finish....60s 6 ply shell..natural Maple lacquer nitrocellulose finish

12x16 bass drum time?!

Orange tag reads SPECiAL

Attachments

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're breakin' the hearts of rope tension fans everywhere...
It would be hard for me not to make that into a BD.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I understand but it needed to be undone :) and of course the Rope is all in 100% intact condition as well as the leather flaps..
And yes this needs to be made into a bass drum :)

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Cuz i made a nerdy unboxn vid

Attachments

hatandbeard

Reaction score
The throw off is in excellent condition and pretty much unused as well as the butt plate and the original gut strings look brand new.. those will be all up for sale

hatandbeard

Reaction score
The drum was collecting dust and I don't think anyone was going to use it for rope tension snare gut string playing anymore.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very cool drum. Seeing the hand written "SPECIAL" on the paper tag is also very telling. These drums were usually 14x12 and 16x12. Having this as a factory custom 14x16 is way cool in my book.

And as I love sparkle wrap finishes, my head says to leave it natural maple. It'll also be much easier to find Stop Sign era drums to match (exact same 6ply Jasper shells).

Good luck on the journey.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Where's the picture of that. Is it a Renown? or what ok looks like a Microsens but not best pic.
Definitely a micro sensitive and in excellent condition as are the gut strings and let me get a pic

Reactions: JDA

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Very cool drum. Seeing the hand written "SPECIAL" on the paper tag is also very telling. These drums were usually 14x12 and 16x12. Having this as a factory custom 14x16 is way cool in my book.

And as I love sparkle wrap finishes, my head says to leave it natural maple. It'll also be much easier to find Stop Sign era drums to match (exact same 6ply Jasper shells).

I'm also thinking leaving it natural finish to make it a little bit louder and brighter and yeah very very cool that it's a 14 x 16 and that special tag I've never seen one up close very cool to stare at that..

hatandbeard

Reaction score
All very amazing and tough some are saying leave it alone some are saying make a bass drum some saying leave it as a rope tension snare.
I think the value will stay even if it gets cut and turned into a bass drum professionally.
This sat on eBay and Reverb awhile.. I'm actually surprised no-one nabbed it.
I wish it was the thickness of a bass drum shell but I still think it would sound great as a bass drum.

hatandbeard

Reaction score

Everything's telling me also to keep it natural and I think it'll sound a little bit brighter and louder. And just so cool that it's a 60s round badge nitrocellulose lacquer natural finish. You just don't often see that as we know.
And yeah whether somebody refinishes 60s round badge drums which I've seen folks do even to high gloss Nitro finishes
or finding stop sign or Square badge in natural finish the very possible true true for sure/I'm sure we all saw the 8 X 12 and 14 X 14 that were up recently that were both dropped G I believe

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Throw off and gut wires and butt plate.
both butt plate and throw off are in excellent condition.
and the gut strings are in excellent shape and actually I bet they sound amazing.
And from the looks of it it looks like it has four Factory extra holes of which all matching Hardware and one of the screws is a little shorter.
These extra for holes are just above the regular two holes for the butt plate.
Also makes me think this drum could have been made on a Monday or Friday.
Hard to say maybe those four extra holes are for an alternate but plate for gut strings or something tough to say.

Attachments

hatandbeard

Reaction score
My drum set

14x18 gretsch drop g i think? Early 70s orange paper tag. Black rewrap done okay. Edges are beautiful. Original Hoops are in beautiful condition. Inside reveals putty extra holes from other Spurs. Drum has no vent hole anymore was puttied Over. Most people freak out over the sound of this bass drum at any tuning at any volume. Bought it on eBay seems like a good number of years and years ago. Factory tie rods and I'm forgetting if there was a factory Pratt muffler on there I have to see if there's holes puddied. Factory Tech wear Spurs which I love.
14x18 Gretsch late 70s early 80s early USA custom Square badge from the original owner in almost mint condition. All the original parts all in original great condition. Natural Maple lacquer nitrocellulose. Beautiful bearing edges no dings except for a couple Marks here in there that pretty much go unnoticeable no extra holes no modifications no gouges no splits. I want to keep it but I also want to sell it for a lot of money. Silver silver and silver and white paper tag as you would imagine. Factory T rods and Factory Pratt Muffler and Factory techwear Spurs which are my favorite Spurs.
14x14 60s Gretsch round badge floor tom with the wrap removed and it looks like the wrap had been removed years and years ago because there's an amazing natural patina that has kind of hardened and the Finish is in great condition and oh my gosh is the sound just incredible. I bought a set of Repro legs from Lee ruff and have a set of Maxwell Repro legs for it as well. Silver silver and orange paper tag as you would imagine. Edges are beautiful. Original tension rods in Originals tension rods and chubby washers.
8x12 Gretsch round badge TomTom silver sealer no orange tag original diecast rims 3-ply sounds like a 6 ply. Edges are beautiful. Came from the original owner had been sitting in an attic. Original tension rods and chubby washers. Original Duco blue silver blue finish which is hazing and crackling and flaking. Sounds ridiculous as you can imagine.
6.5x14 canopus zelkova snare drum. The only snare I own. The greatest snare drum I personally have ever played on and owned. Couple dings and bumps and bruises here and they're all very very minor. I'd like to sell it so I can order one if not two custom 7.5 x 14 canopus zelkova snares. Yes...
Selling the Ludwig super classic 20 12 16 5x14 Supra. From the original owner very clean blue sparkle. Lots of extras.
Selling the Gretsch 14 x 20 3-ply broadcaster 1946 bass drum with original hoops. Drum has extra holes but otherwise is in great condition with great edges and the Hoops are in round and probably also 3-ply. Faded yellowed White Marine Pearl.
Selling the modern Drum Shop NYC 14 x 16 nesting bass drum Blue Glass glitter. 7 ply pork pie shell.
Selling a small grip of my Sabian sound control and Sabian Flange Ride collection.
I should keep my nagara drums that I bought from the nagara drummer that was playing with Jonny Greenwood and opening for Radiohead but considering selling those too.
Otherwise I don't own anything else and I really prefer extreme minimalism. I'm only keeping a small amount of cymbals otherwise. Also experienced three or four tragedies if not five all in a row back-to-back since 2013 all the way up till now getting back to zero Clearing House lots of stories to share down the line.
I'd like a 13 x 18 or 12 x 18 Gretsch vintage build out as well either from them brand new but I put spring loaded vintage lugs on it or I make one or find one. Preferably nitron nitrocellulose lacquer.
I've had matching kits of course but lately I prefer mix-matched colors Jellybean however you want to call it.

Attachments

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Also does anyone have one of those Yamaha arms that's technically used for a Yamaha Concert Tom but I'm using it in a spade consolette Style
I'm excited for the Vintage build out on the 12 x 16 and I'll be able to use my 8 X 12 and 14 X 14. I'm excited to have a rail consolette actually.
I would love another 8 X 12 and 14 X 14 Gretsch round badge times but ya know...

Attachments