14x4 snare

stevil

Reaction score
What do you have? I'm looking to expand the stable. I *think* I prefer bronze/metal, but I'm also open minded.

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of my most favorite snares I ever played was a Brady 14x4 - unreal. The Keplinger 14x4 Black Iron in this video sounds amazing, imo.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked up one of these little gems, Legend Phosphor Bronze. Haven’t played a snare this shallow in years, but sounded GREAT.
Here’s one on eBay:

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Would 14" x 4.75" work? If so, the Noble and Cooley Alloy Classic is an awesome snare, and this one is a pretty solid price (I don't have any relation to the seller)

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Still have the Ascend Lp 4x14 10 lug blonde (mostly?) maple.

It's my Taiwanese Max

Bought it new back in the 90s pre-internet from Waddell's.
I see they're still around..

Asking more than sold for new..
mine does not say Pearl on the strainer

* one note the above is an 8-lug, my identical drum, is a 10 -lug Lp Ascend -briefly- had a decent drum catalog early 90s..choice..

Last edited:

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked up one of these little gems, Legend Phosphor Bronze. Haven’t played a snare this shallow in years, but sounded GREAT.
Here’s one on eBay:
I've got one of those as well. (For clarifiation, mine is not for sale, and that is not my auction.) Amazing drum. I've been keeping my eye out for one of its deeper siblings, but unfortunately for me whenever one comes up for sale it's at a time when my new gear slush fund is all tapped out.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
What do you have? I'm looking to expand the stable. I *think* I prefer bronze/metal, but I'm also open minded.
Hi stevil!

I have a custom Pearl Free Floating piccolo snare drum. The shell is a 10-ply keller, which was painted by Chris Heuer to match my custom Pearl kit. The custom paint is called Deep Blue Marine. While Pearl advertises these to be 3.5" in depth, they are actually 3.75". The Keller shell is 1/4" deeper than the original, making the overall depth 4". I had to get slightly longer Pearl stainless steel tension rods for the batter side, due to the extra depth. I also have a custom built 5.5x14 snare drum that goes with the kit, which is shown in the first picture. I never really used the 4" drum and it's basically brand new and comes with a really nice case.

If this is something you'd be interested in, just pm me.

-Mark

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's a great size. I have 3 - Pearl Marvin Smitty Smith copper/gold hardware, a Gretsch 4x14 limited in red camphor finish, and a World Max 4x14 "black beauty" clone.

If you are interested in the Pearl or Gretsch, let me know.

kicksnarehat

Reaction score
I’ve got a 20s NOB 14x4 6-lug Universal, 2-piece welded on center bead. Currently wearing triple-flange hoops, but I’ve got the originals too (don’t have all the clips). Non-original strainer (no extra holes). I don’t know what it’s worth. Also currently traveling but could send pics early March if you’re interested. Very cool little drum, but I don’t gig it much.