14x6.5 12-Over-6 Lug Snare...say what?

TheMattJones88

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I never understood the 12 over 6 thing. Personally, I'd like my reso head tuned a bit tighter. On a 6/6 snare I'm cool with it, because it's part of the vibe, but this just seems weird.

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
In the late 80's, Tama made an Artwood snare with 11 lugs on top, 10 lugs on bottom. Claimed the uneven number of lugs created an increased playing area for maximum response. Didn't really seem to catch on...

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just haven’t seen any evidence that more lugs than normal means better tensioning. I mean maybe for people who specifically want to super crank the batter for a high pitch, and then beat it hard? But Buddy is gone, and pop-punk-ska-funk is blessedly over, and 12” or 13” snares are readily available.

Has anyone here actually run into a situation where their 8 lug snare just couldn’t be tuned up high enough, or where a 12 lug did something regular drums can’t?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I owned a Slingerland COB 2 for 1 and built a Tempus version and one with a DIY shell. In the latter two versions like the drum you showed I tried to minimize the number of lugs to keep the weight down.

What I found on the non slingerlands (non metal too) was that you could tune the batter head down and get an 'Eagles' snare drum sound will still getting 'Police' like rim shots.

I didn't notice that on the brass shell but on Mario C's advice (one time slingy endorser)...I tuned the whole drum up high and it was a nice snare (oh..on my drum I did not have Slingerland lugs...one was single flanged so that might have made it sound different than the wood ones).

I've thought about making/getting another someday (maybe an INde?)

steambent

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a natural maple finish Slingerland 12 over 6 for atleast 30 years. I remember tuning it it up when I got and not liking the sound but the shell is super thick and I do not believe that era was the best for Slingerland drums in general so the 12/6 thing might not have had any thing to do with my dissatisfaction of the sound.

Latest posts