15” Hi Hats: Zildjian K Kerope vs Custom Special Dry?

murraythehump

Reaction score
Anyone have experience or thoughts on 15” Zildjian K Kerope vs 15” Zildjian K Custom Special Dry?

My local shops dont stock both so I unfortunately cannot compare them before buying.

I’m playing Jazz, Blues, and Soul. Occasionally Blues Rock.

Other cymbals in my kit are a 17” Zildjian K custom hybrid crash and a 21” custom hybrid ride.

Thank you! I’m new to the forum - this is my first post!

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!

I tapped around on some Special Drys at a shop once and liked them near field but somehow felt they’d lack oomph out front. I have no actual proof of that, but they just seemed specialized and trendy for lack of better terms.

Never played the Kerope hats but have a crash that’s somewhat rideable and I can say it’s quite musical. My guess is the hats would not disappoint and might be a better fit for your genres.

saturnresearch

Reaction score
Do you play a lot of quick patterns on your hi hats? Are you looking for a thicker sound with just that extra bit of sustain? Do you expect to be mic'ed up most of the time? In my experience, the kerope hats have more of a lush sound, but can get somewhat mushy, especially in 15". The special drys are grittier, more articulate, and a smidge quieter, but if you smack the shoulder with the hats slightly separated I'm sure you could get a serviceably beefy sound out of them if that's required. My instinct says to go with the Keropes if you're playing more traditional jazz/blues/etc, I think they'll be just a little more versatile if you're willing to sacrifice a little bit of control. I agree with CC above that they might be more 'musical' -- they tend to yield a more defined 'note' than the special drys, which sound closer to white noise.

Mn02

Reaction score
I had a full set of Keropes - they are light and warm. Very nice hats but on the softer quieter side. The KCSD are heavier than I expected. Much more bite and volume than I anticipated. Personally I prefer the K lights and Ksweets to either of these two models.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 15 Keropes on my home kit. They are fantastic and look lovely. Just right for jazz, blues and could work for rock although I would probably use A's.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 15 Keropes on my home kit. They are fantastic and look lovely. Just right for jazz, blues and could work for rock although I would probably use A's.
You said 15. You might have made a mistake did you mean 15? : ) they're not all around the 16" Bass set are they... ; ) let's see..

tell me you have a 24" Kerope and then..remember when they were offered by DCP for awhile ..there were some real exotic ones back then at that time they were offered..3200g ones and 2900g ones.. 24"

Like to see the Home set someday

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said 15. You might have made a mistake did you mean 15? : ) they're not all around the 16" Bass set are they... ; )
Duh....yes, one set of 15" hats! I can't imagine a kit with 15 cymbals let alone 15 Keropes! I only have a 22" left, never had or seen a 24. The rides never did anything for me sonically but do look pretty. My 19 was probably my fave of my19, 20 and 22. I had 14 hats but they were too soft and no foot chick. The 15 hats are sweet though. LSR is a 20" Bos Masters and other cymbal is a 22" Ottaviano. Kit is just a Ludwig 12/15/20 in sky blue I recently gigged for the 1st time (pics were posted). Snares rotate based on my mood, and I can get quite moody! The Ludwig 12/14/16 recent restore is down in my home office with 13 K lights and a 22 Agop SE Jazz.

Back to the OP - I have a 21 K special dry ride (original series). Those were odd birds - I went through about 6-7 of them to find "the one". I don't think they made hats back then. Then, the reissues came out with the bright & dark lathed concentric circles. I played a few of those cymbals at Bentleys - they are definitely not like the original series. Much brighter, trashier and louder. I would imagine the special dry hats would be like that, too. I'd like to get my hands on a set but haven't had the chance.....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
my fault I read it wrong/ too literally! lol but then again............I do know "You have a lot of stuff!!!!"/..

murraythehump

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ill look at other 15”s too, but like the idea of the Keropes. I am mainly curious about switching to 15s from 14 for something new and different. I gravitate towards dark and dry tones, but am open to other options, whatever they may be. I’m a young and not a super technical drummer - at my skill level I dont need articulate, responsive cymbals (yet ). I appreciate all of the discussion!

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Ill look at other 15”s too, but like the idea of the Keropes. I am mainly curious about switching to 15s from 14 for something new and different. I gravitate towards dark and dry tones, but am open to other options, whatever they may be. I’m a young and not a super technical drummer - at my skill level I dont need articulate, responsive cymbals (yet ). I appreciate all of the discussion!
I have 2 pairs of 15" Keropes. One is in the for sale section because I use the heavier pair more. But they're both great. Lovely stick definition and warm. Perfect for jazz and soul, and they would cut through blues without being harsh. A long time ago, I switched to 15" hats from 14" and could never go back. To me, 15s blend better overall.

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I almost scooped a pair of 15 K Constantinoples the other week, a limited run for cymbalutopias 15th anniversary, kind of regretting passing them up...

Oh well

I am like you though, I’m interested in moving from 14s to 15s just haven’t found the right pair

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Duh....yes, one set of 15" hats! I can't imagine a kit with 15 cymbals let alone 15 Keropes! I only have a 22" left, never had or seen a 24. The rides never did anything for me sonically but do look pretty. My 19 was probably my fave of my19, 20 and 22. I had 14 hats but they were too soft and no foot chick. The 15 hats are sweet though. LSR is a 20" Bos Masters and other cymbal is a 22" Ottaviano. Kit is just a Ludwig 12/15/20 in sky blue I recently gigged for the 1st time (pics were posted). Snares rotate based on my mood, and I can get quite moody! The Ludwig 12/14/16 recent restore is down in my home office with 13 K lights and a 22 Agop SE Jazz.

Back to the OP - I have a 21 K special dry ride (original series). Those were odd birds - I went through about 6-7 of them to find "the one". I don't think they made hats back then. Then, the reissues came out with the bright & dark lathed concentric circles. I played a few of those cymbals at Bentleys - they are definitely not like the original series. Much brighter, trashier and louder. I would imagine the special dry hats would be like that, too. I'd like to get my hands on a set but haven't had the chance.....
Yeah, I was thinking, 15 cymbals for jazz???!!!!
Then thought you may have meant, 'hats'

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this reply doesn't answer the question, Kerope vs Special Custom Dry but...I've played a handful of new 15" hats that seem like they're being made to approximate an old sound and I didn't find what I was looking for until I bought a pair of 15" As from the '50s.

If you're specifically going for the sound of a new, darker cymbal then ignore my comment as that's a legitimate sound to seek and I'm sure either of the Keropes or SCDs would be great. There are some amazing new cymbals being made (e.g., I spent a lot on a 22" Constantinople because it's awesome!).

However, if you're really trying to emulate sounds you hear on old records, give old cymbals a try. They're out there, will actually be the sound you're looking for, and assuming you don't insist on an old K, you'll probably save money.

murraythehump

Reaction score
There are some amazing new cymbals being made (e.g., I spent a lot on a 22" Constantinople because it's awesome!).
I'm happy to hear you went for it and spent the money on the cymbal you'll love. I get afraid of the price tag that can come with Constantinoples, Agop 30th Anniversary, vintage Zildjians, and the like - but do like those sounds. Even the custom Ks and Keropes I am considering are a bit cost-prohibitive, but I generally do believe you get what you pay for. With cymbals I don't have any concerns about buying used - but what do you all think? What should I consider when buying used?

Esotericdrums

Reaction score
I'm happy to hear you went for it and spent the money on the cymbal you'll love. I get afraid of the price tag that can come with Constantinoples, Agop 30th Anniversary, vintage Zildjians, and the like - but do like those sounds. Even the custom Ks and Keropes I am considering are a bit cost-prohibitive, but I generally do believe you get what you pay for. With cymbals I don't have any concerns about buying used - but what do you all think? What should I consider when buying used?
22 K Constantinople MTL has been my best cymbal purchase in a decade, that’s including a new stamp K 20.

New stamp 20 is divine, don’t get me wrong. But stepping up to a 22 in the main ride position was an eye opener. Had only played 20s before that.

The MTL has earned its spot in the main ride position and my new stamp K is more a ride than a crash/ride in the left hand side, it takes me throwing the new stamp on the right hand main position and my 22 MTL on the left to make any sense.

But I have been nothing but pleased with my 22 MTL since I’ve got it and that’s included trying to find the perfect left hand 20 since... started with my existing K custom Dark ride with a sizzle chain, to a Kerope 20, k con hi bell mtl, to new stamp 20 left side.

Keep coming back to the 20 k custom dark ride sizzle on the left, 22 k con MTL main ride, 18 k custom dark crash far right. Thats my recipe as of late