15” Paiste black 2002 sound edge hi hats

satchwine

Reaction score
Hi there,

Thoughts on value of these 1979 according to serial numbers, matching numbers.

Excellent condition, Small amount of oxidation of one underside. Thanks in advance.
3F8A9EBF-2F60-4547-BFA5-79447DE149EA.jpeg
37377B2B-FFA5-4C6D-90C6-9C0CF2EDAC35.jpeg

2oo2

Reaction score
I don’t like putting prices on others’ gear (and there are several DFO members with better knowledge) but I just want to say those hi-hats are HIGHLY desirable and can go for pretty beefy prices.

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was a really nice set of these at Drummers Tradition in San Rafael and I was shocked at how warm and mellow they were. Sure they cut, but they weren't nearly as loud and brash as I was expecting. Justifiably highly coveted.

Talktotommy

Reaction score
Depending on condition of course, these have been anywhere from high 3’s to $600. I would say the earlier ones are getting more money later ones like this 79 and even 80 still have very good value but maybe slightly less. I have two pairs of these 15 inch black label one is 1977 and the other is an early 1980 pair which I actually like a little better than the 77s but great hats nonetheless.

satchwine

Reaction score
Depending on condition of course, these have been anywhere from high 3’s to $600. I would say the earlier ones are getting more money later ones like this 79 and even 80 still have very good value but maybe slightly less. I have two pairs of these 15 inch black label one is 1977 and the other is an early 1980 pair which I actually like a little better than the 77s but great hats nonetheless.
Thanks so much. Hard to get a gauge on these not to many come up for sale. These sound really nice too, good chink, loud but also warm

zenstat

Reaction score
The Reverb price guide is pretty good based on my independent testing of their prices.

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.48.54 AM.png

I would caution against relying on them to be 100% accurate because there are occasional mistakes. I was recently doing some data entry catch up on 24" A Zildjian cymbals and discovered these issues. Why did Gerry (Hazelshould) sell a Trans Stamp 24" in Very Good condition for so much more than the Excellent condition one from Drugan? The answer is found in the light weight which isn't reported (nor taken into account) in Reverb stats.

24-2997-sales2.png

Then there is this one for 24" A Zildjian cymbals wearing what we nickname the 60s stamp with two peaks which need discussion.

24-60s-5-apr-22.png

One is a Brian Blade owned cymbal:

You can see the price premium that the Brian Blade owned cymbal got, although we can't yet partition that price advantage into Brian Blade celebrity cymbal and Maxwell premium seller effect. I also can't tell if the buyer knew it was a late 50s trademark not a 60 one as Maxwell stated. And I can't say how much of the price premium is the light weight, although I know from previous research that there is a price advantage for weight under 2850g. But I can say it went for over twice the going rate. I'll be re-estimating the "low weight" price advantage when I finish all my data capture and cleaning on 24" A Zildjians. For now

A24-price-by-grams.png

Then there is the other sale which isn't an A Zildjian at all. If you look at the ad, you can see they put the right title in there, but the automated data processing system uses what is listed under Product Specs so the system got that one completely wrong.

But here is what is listed under Product Specs

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 12.08.22 PM.png

These things happen because no knowledgeable person looks at the identifications to see if they are correct and the condition is assessed correctly. My previous research shows that sellers get things wrong about 25% of the time. In the case of the sales history the software doesn't look at what the header or text of the ad says about brand and size and production era. It gets the information from Product Specs. So in order to interpret any unexpected peaks you need further information about the factors which influence price. The same goes for eyeballing a change in the graph and thinking prices are going up or down. The same goes for remembering a few sales and deciding that older ones sell for more than newer ones.

Sorry for having delved into more detail about 24" A Zildjians than you want to know in a thread on 15" Black Label 2002 Sound Edge hats. But a cautionary tale seems in order.

Attachments

• A24-price-by-grams.png
    A24-price-by-grams.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Tarkus

Reaction score
Hi there,

Excellent condition, Small amount of oxidation of one underside. Thanks in advance. View attachment 555705 View attachment 555706

First of all, I would take the toe out before using these pics for advertisements.
Second: these are THE cymbals that define early 70s rock sound. Full stop.

John Bonham, Ian Paice, and many of their followers played nearly everything on such exact hi-hats. It's THE hi-hat sound. It took me a long time to understand this little fact, as they were completely out of fashion in the 80s and 90s.

About pricing, I have no clue, sorry. I would just not sell, because the next opportunity to use them will come. I have a similar pair, just 'straight' (without sound edge), and really used shape. But I will keep them for their sound.

Maybe a short comment on the pricing lists and graphs:
There are cymbals around, that just don't sound well, some call them 'dogs'. This counts for Avedis, but also for Paistes. And these cymbals are sold at lower prices (because the seller wants to get rid of) and sold more often (because the buyer will be a seller soon after he got them). The good ones are sold for higher prices, but more seldom, because the buyer will keep them (probably forever). The really good ones are not even showing up at ebay or other markets. They were bought new, maybe selected from a whole bunch), and stay with their owner or studio for long time, or go to somebody known personally. This leads to the situation, that we see mainly the dogs on free market, and we see them unnaturally often. So, these 'average prices' are oriented towards the 'dogs' prices.

I don't know, if this idea is true for cymbals, but on other collectors markets, this is often the cause of errors in pricing lists.

Last edited:

Dzdrum

Reaction score
Holy Moley - I have a pair of these Paiste 15 inch hi hats sitting in my cymbal case. I haven’t used them in 20+ years. They were very loud and as others have said kind of got out of fashion in the 80’s and 90’s unless you were playing metal. I was in a rock band and moved to a Simmons kit with real cymbals. I currently use 1980 era Paiste 14 inch sound edge hi hats along with a pair of early 1980’s 13 inch Zildjian new beats hats as my second set on the kit.

I might have to break them out of the case again!

Last edited:

Danzgroove

Reaction score
Hi there,

Excellent condition, Small amount of oxidation of one underside. Thanks in advance. View attachment 555705 View attachment 555706
I need those. I let a buddy use my ‘78 15” Sound edges for a session years ago and he cracked the top ( my bad. Stupid to loan them out) so. I’ll make my offer. Privately somehow. ??

311Club

Reaction score
20220425_194844~01.jpg

Just because

1974. Has anybody mentioned how delicious they sound?

Attachments

• 20220425_194907~01.jpg
    20220425_194907~01.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Dzdrum

Reaction score
I need those. I let a buddy use my ‘78 15” Sound edges for a session years ago and he cracked the top ( my bad. Stupid to loan them out) so. I’ll make my offer. Privately somehow. ??
I will post pictures of them later today.

Attachments

• 92195281-50C1-4C8A-B6B6-3CD6B7D35899.jpeg
    92195281-50C1-4C8A-B6B6-3CD6B7D35899.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 7
  • CAA7B7DB-C437-49F6-AA93-56F5D018E1B5.jpeg
    CAA7B7DB-C437-49F6-AA93-56F5D018E1B5.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 7

satchwine

Reaction score
The Reverb price guide is pretty good based on my independent testing of their prices.

View attachment 555825

I would caution against relying on them to be 100% accurate because there are occasional mistakes. I was recently doing some data entry catch up on 24" A Zildjian cymbals and discovered these issues. Why did Gerry (Hazelshould) sell a Trans Stamp 24" in Very Good condition for so much more than the Excellent condition one from Drugan? The answer is found in the light weight which isn't reported (nor taken into account) in Reverb stats.

View attachment 555826

Then there is this one for 24" A Zildjian cymbals wearing what we nickname the 60s stamp with two peaks which need discussion.

View attachment 555832

One is a Brian Blade owned cymbal:

You can see the price premium that the Brian Blade owned cymbal got, although we can't yet partition that price advantage into Brian Blade celebrity cymbal and Maxwell premium seller effect. I also can't tell if the buyer knew it was a late 50s trademark not a 60 one as Maxwell stated. And I can't say how much of the price premium is the light weight, although I know from previous research that there is a price advantage for weight under 2850g. But I can say it went for over twice the going rate. I'll be re-estimating the "low weight" price advantage when I finish all my data capture and cleaning on 24" A Zildjians. For now

A24-price-by-grams.png

Then there is the other sale which isn't an A Zildjian at all. If you look at the ad, you can see they put the right title in there, but the automated data processing system uses what is listed under Product Specs so the system got that one completely wrong.

But here is what is listed under Product Specs

View attachment 555827

These things happen because no knowledgeable person looks at the identifications to see if they are correct and the condition is assessed correctly. My previous research shows that sellers get things wrong about 25% of the time. In the case of the sales history the software doesn't look at what the header or text of the ad says about brand and size and production era. It gets the information from Product Specs. So in order to interpret any unexpected peaks you need further information about the factors which influence price. The same goes for eyeballing a change in the graph and thinking prices are going up or down. The same goes for remembering a few sales and deciding that older ones sell for more than newer ones.

Sorry for having delved into more detail about 24" A Zildjians than you want to know in a thread on 15" Black Label 2002 Sound Edge hats. But a cautionary tale seems in order.
Thanks Zenstat, it’s so great when you chime in on things. Your data and knowledge is so helpful!

Ironically I also have a 24” Trans Stamp Zildjian, so very helpful there too!

Cheers