15” Sound Edge

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
What’s the go to Paiste line if I were looking to get a pair? 2002?

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
What’s the go to Paiste line if I were looking to get a pair? 2002?
FYI on the Sound Edge series. I bought a pair of the 14in Signature models new in 2014. They sounded GREAT at the drum store but absolutely overpowering live on my kit. Used them live that one time only and promptly bought some used New Beats.

If you need to be heard in the mix, they’re awesome. If your work is more subtle, not so much.

Frank N Stein

kickassdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
FYI on the Sound Edge series. I bought a pair of the 14in Signature models new in 2014. They sounded GREAT at the drum store but absolutely overpowering live on my kit. Used them live that one time only and promptly bought some used New Beats.

If you need to be heard in the mix, they’re awesome. If your work is more subtle, not so much.

Frank N Stein
The 15s are a good bit warmer and sit better in the mix. I have both. The 14s are more bright and forward.

Franklin Nigel Stein

Reaction score
The 15s are a good bit warmer and sit better in the mix. I have both. The 14s are more bright and forward.
Fair enough. Though having heard the 15s, I wouldn’t exactly call them subtle or quiet. A tad darker, sure.

My next question to the OP was gonna be, “what do ya wanna use em for”?

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
2OOOs for me. Much better than 2oo2. Sound creation dark sound edge are also a home run.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
2002 SE is sort of the standard deal with Paiste IMHO. I’m had a pair for awhile when I flirted with Paiste. I would actually go 602 SE if they’re available.

I do like 2002 in general, but I’m just more of a 602 guy as far as Paistes are concerned (I’m basically straight Zildjian for awhile now…sold the outliers). 2002s are pretty bright, if that is what you’re looking at.

Last edited:

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my favorite were the 2002 15 inch sound edge hihats, but several years later when I tried to get another pair all that was available were 14 inch sound edge hihats, and I have two pairs of them now on my set.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently bought another pair of 14” 2002 SE hats and it was like coming home . I love the pitch and the excellent foot chick . Classic hihats . I have owned the 14” reissue 602 SE hats and they are very polite and not as cutting as the 2002 version .

Masecar

Reaction score
15" 2oo2 Sound Edge is the move if you ask me.

The Classic 602 hats are just a little too thin across the board and lack a little bit of clarity for my taste. Signatures are louder and brighter than the 2oo2s; attributes I have never needed.

I had a pair of 15" 2oo2s and I ended up selling them because while they sounded great, they were far and away the loudest part of my entire kit and that's not something I felt like I needed. Some 15" Modern Essentials hats filled that gap, and I found a 15" field cymbal to use with that bottom it I need some big heavy Matt Cameron-style hats.

scheme

Reaction score
What do you think about 15" SEs vs 14" Heavy Hats volume-wise? I need something with more cut/volume than my 14" Mediums.

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
What do you think about 15" SEs vs 14" Heavy Hats volume-wise? I need something with more cut/volume than my 14" Mediums.
I have SEs and Heavies. The SEs cut more. BTW, I have a pair of 14" 2002 SEs in the For Sale section. Great hats.

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
When I was on my 15" Paiste quest, I had 505's, 2oo2's and 602's to compare. The early 80's 2002's were the winner for me. I did like the others, but the 602's were a bit on the thin side, and lacked the volume I was looking for. Great tone though.

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple months ago, Drum Center of Portsmouth had some new pairs of 15" Sound Edge 2002 Prototype hats they were blowing out for $279...SOLD! I haven't been able to A/B directly with standard issue 2002's but they seem a touch more mellow listening to sound files. They took some getting used to, being a relatively new Paiste enthusiast over the past year, but I now understand all the praise. I also scored a pre-serial, 14" sound edge bottom last year that I've paired with a Masters Dark top among others.

bodinski

the Tingler
Reaction score
My current favourites (even over my 14" 3000 Heavies) are a 15" recent GB top over old black label SE bottom. I'm not sure exactly why exactly it is but they make me very happy.
I have a 14 SE bottom too & am on the hunt for a 14" GB top.

jmato

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Giant Beat 15" SEs which were built as prototypes for DCNH. I absolutely love them, and they are not overpowering at all. If you can find those I highly recommend them.

stuart s

Reaction score
Best of both worlds is what I have on 2 similar sets:

15" 2002 SE pair
15" Vintage 2002 Se Bottom, modern Giant Beat Top

Nothing beats them, nothing!