header.nohb.html

15" bass drum heads

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need some 15" bass drum heads for a tom to bass drum conversion.

Any recommendations for where to get 15" bass drum heads? I've done some searching but am not really finding anything.

Thanks!

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I believe that Canopus goes out of their way to state that they use tom heads on their 15" RFM bass drum. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that tom heads would work on small bass drums with wood hoops (if you are careful not to let the narrower flesh hoop slip from under the wooden hoop), but not the other way 'round ...... ie bass drum head (with heavier flesh hoop) on a tom with triple flange hoops.

Mike

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You could use wood hoops for toms/snares which are designed to work with standard tom/snare heads.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use remo tom heads on my 15” floor tom to kick conversion. Works fine.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have bought 15" heads from Drum Factory Direct. They have generic ones that are super cheap or once in a while you get lucky and get a clearance deal. I picked up a few fiber skyns for like $10 each.

I don't think anybody makes a 15" bass drum head.

Now finding 15" bass drum wood Hoops is a completely different situation. Good luck there. I've had to resort to using Hoops off old marching drums. It worked, but definitely a very difficult size to source.

curly

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The bass drum hoops were actually pretty easy to find. Salt drums has 15" BD hoops on their reverb page.

nchia

Reaction score
I believe that Canopus goes out of their way to state that they use tom heads on their 15" RFM bass drum. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that tom heads would work on small bass drums with wood hoops (if you are careful not to let the narrower flesh hoop slip from under the wooden hoop), but not the other way 'round ...... ie bass drum head (with heavier flesh hoop) on a tom with triple flange hoops.

Mike
This is correct. I have a 15" and a 16" Canopus bd and they put tom heads on both those drums. I've tried to find 16" bass heads and haven't been successful. Apparently there are still productions delays? TBH, the tom heads sound great and are cheaper.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Aquarian super kick bass reso heads and they come in 16. I use them on a few of my 16 basses.....

TPC

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always used tom heads on small bass drums and never had any issues. It made me surprised, because I heard a lot of guys over the years say that you NEED bass drum heads. I didn't.

Redfern

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deleted my reply as I can’t read…I thought you said 16…damn my eyes

Last edited: