15" Hats

sonicD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Been listening to the sound files on the Bosphorus site, and really like the 15" Trad hats. I'm looking to complement the Bos flat ride I recently got. Anybody use 15" hats on a regular basis? Pros and cons versus 14"? Lower pitch? Louder? Comments anyone? Thanks -DB

Aqualung

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got 15" Giant Beats, they're fine. I've found that they get plenty tight. I've almost found myself wishing they would get looser. IN MY EXPERIENCE, they get just as tight as the 14's, but pack the extra wallop the 14's lack. And yes, they're louder too.

Bongojimi

Founder
Reaction score
DB
I had a pair of "Rudes" 15" for several years and thoroughly enjoyed them. If you can afford to keep both 14" and 15" available it would be highly recommended. In my opinion they are definately worth trying and sonically they are louder and more meaty.I beefed up mystick size on that kit also used butt end to spread it out more .
If you have a chance to test drive them prior to purchase would be a definate advantage.
Good Luck

Bongo

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
sonic,
Yes, you'll notice a lower pitch compared to 14s, but not necessarily louder.
Bosphorus Traditionals are very complex from the few I've sampled, I'm sure you are aware they're not really rock 'n roll cymbals.

I like some 15 inch hats, but 13s and 14s are better suited for my needs.

Blackdog

Reaction score
I have a set of the 15" Bos Traditiona hats.
I use them for anything and everything "Highway to Hell" through to "Brown Eyed Girl", and very satisfied with them.
A sweet chick on the soft stuff and have enough bite on the harder stuff.
Wouldn't say there were noticably louder, but they have a greater presence and slightly lower in pitch.
Cheers

poot

Penncrest Endorser
Reaction score
I have a pair of 15" Quick Beats that were my sworn favorites for many years. Then I acquired a pair of 14" K. Zildjian Custom Dark hats and suddenly the 15s seemed a little sluggish on the response. I still use them sometimes, but keep coming back to the 14" Ks.

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
All 14's now, but I used 15" 2002 Soundedge's for quite a few years, primarily because that's what Bonham used. Great cymbals in a lot of ways but kind of sloppy for anything intricate---Stewart Copeland type hi-hat accents just never seemed to come across the way that I wanted them to (can't blame it all on the hats, though! :lol:). I will say that they produced a great chick sound, and were very fat when opened up.

Aqualung

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've found that a little extra pressure on my hat stand will get the Giant Beats tight and crisp as any 14's. It's more of a case working with your gear more.

Rckuy

Reaction score
I have a 15" Zildjian New Beat on top and a 15" Quick Beat on the bottom. I like them quite a bit. I have to tilt the bottom one slightly or it get kinda clangy. If I get it adjusted just right, I get a real nice quiet chick for jazz. They are really great if I want to beat the crap out of them, too! I read that Tony Williams used the same configuration in the 80's.

sonicD

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. You've brought up a few points that I admit I hadn't considered - that 15's can be a little "sluggish" or "sloppy" compared to 14's, and that they also (depending on the brand) require a heavier hit. Interesting points. I wish to hell I had a local Bos dealer, but nobody round my parts carry these in stock. I'm going to have to think on this a while, but not discouraged. Thanks. -DB

SwivoNut

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been using 15" Zildjian New Beats for many years and love 'em. I found them to be the perfect hats for any type of playing. I used a 15" over a 14" before that. I acquired some 14s and 13s with vintage sets I picked up over the last couple of years but I'll never go back to playing those sizes and will be selling them off shortly.

Most hi-hat stands nowadays have adjustable spring tensioning that you can tighten to compensate for larger cymbal sizes, so 15s needn't be sluggish at all. Mine sure aren't.

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
My tastes on hats has gone full circle from when I was young, and first played my 14" New Beats. Over the years I've tried out everything ranging from Istanbul Ks, in 12"(!), 13", 14", and 15" sizes, and New beats in 13" and 14" sizes, K/Z hats in 13" and 14", various Paiste sound edge hats, Signature 14", 2002 14" and 15" and many others. My all-time favorite pair of 15" cymbals has got to be the 2002 Sound Edge hats from the 70s. Interestingly they are very sensitive and can be played in any setting, from jazz on up to Hammer of the Gods type stuff.

The brightest-sounding hats were the 14" sound edge signature hats. I've also played Sabian Fusion hats. I like them, and I like the Zildjian 13" K/Z Dynos. Also very nice for rock are the quick beats.

I'm back playing 14" New Beats when I found an almost-new pair of late 60s early 70s New Beats, in the bag. They sound just like my first pair...

I think you're on the right track for 15" hats, though--the nice thing about the 2002s that were my faves was the thin-ness of the top cymbal. Bosphorus Traditionals are thin cymbals so that would be a GREAT Combination, the thinner-yet-larger 15" cymbals. SO I guess I'm in complete agreement with your idea and BlackDog's approval..

When I first played a 20" Bos Trad ride it was a nice experience. Good stick, very thin jazz cymbal.. More recently made Zildjian Mastersound A Custom hats I found to be sorta clangy for my tastes.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a set of Paiste blue label 602's. Although they say Heavy, they're thinner than most hats I;ve played. Beleieve it or not, these are IMHO just as versatlie, if not more, than my New Beats. I've played the Paiste's in small acoustic settings and in loud rock bands outside, unmiced, and had success each time. Very sensitive, nice chick, etc. etc. etc......

Pounder

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had (until just recently sold) a great mismatched pair with a 15" 602 pre-serial top and a 70s Avedis 15" bottom. I think 602 sound edge hats might be the "holy grail" or the "bee's knees" but unless I find a pair locally for a great deal I'll probably sit that auction out, as I think they're going for big bucks..

Latest posts