15" hi hats

drumsnstuff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The best thing about 15s (for me) is how they play quiet and have room to give some volume when the music calls for it.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Got a set of '60's Zildjian's I'd picked up with a set of Pearl Presidents. Sloshy, warm, dark. I was trying to decide on thinning some of the pile out. Took them to a drum jam at the local shop. Unanimous. "keep that set!" They really blend with my Radio Kings......... You can hear them on this cut.....

Mendozart

Jenkins-Martin rep
Reaction score
Zeb said:
I sold my 15" 2002 SE hats - not because they're not good - they are! They were just a wee bit too loud for me.
Thanks for selling them to me Zeb, I'm really digging them!

In the last six months, I started to try out some 15's. I started out with a set of SE 505's which were cool. Then I matched up a pair of Paiste preserial 602's which sounded really nice, but were low on the volume. The 2oo2 SE hats I got from Zeb are exactly what I was looking for.
I still dig on my early 80's 14" New Beats though.

Monty

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have 2 sets of 15" hats, both Paistes and both very different. My set of blue label 602's are absolutely beautiful sounding and have a very buttery feel. My 3000 heavies are loud but they work great with a band I joined awhile ago who at very loud in a large room.
Still, I got hold of a 14" set of hollow logo New Beats and am loving those. However, I play at several open mic nights and know the house drummer well (He's the same one at several) and he has a set of hollow logo New Beats in the 15" size and my 14" hats, nice as they are, don't hold a candle to the sound and feel of those 15" New Beats!!!

Zeb

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mendozart said:
I sold my 15" 2002 SE hats - not because they're not good - they are! They were just a wee bit too loud for me.
Thanks for selling them to me Zeb, I'm really digging them!

In the last six months, I started to try out some 15's. I started out with a set of SE 505's which were cool. Then I matched up a pair of Paiste preserial 602's which sounded really nice, but were low on the volume. The 2oo2 SE hats I got from Zeb are exactly what I was looking for.
I still dig on my early 80's 14" New Beats though.
Glad you're digging them Mendozart! Like I said... I really liked them too (had them for a few decades!) but the stuff I'm playing these days is much more quiet than what I was playing 20 years ago.

In the immortal words of Mick Jagger: What a drag it is getting old.

Formula428

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked up Z3 15" hats at blowout pricing ($150/pr). Thought it would be clangy, but actually quite musical. Very nice touch, maybe the larger size helped with the harshness of the typical Z3...

mmdrums

Reaction score
I play a set of 15 hybrid hats that Saluda made me. Medium bottom with medium thin top. Brilliant inner half with traditional outer. Quicker in response than you'd think for big hats, due to the weight.

I also played 16 k light hats for a while.

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played a pair of medium/heavy 15" vintage A's for years. They were nice on stage, but always too loud in the studio. I remember a tech using some acoustic panelling between my hats and snare mic to try and reduce the bleed. That said, I play a pair of 15" Zilcos at a friends place that are just the right blend of sloshy and just agressive enough.

andya

Reaction score
So I spent the better part of 2 hours at Forks trying pretty much every set of 15s they had in stock. Honestly I loved most of them, but I had to try to remember what I was really looking for, which was something darker, bigger and "washer" than what I had. I settled on a pair of 15" Istanbul Agop Om hats. They have a nice dark, slightly trashy sound... but not too trashy. I love them....then I made the mistake of putting up a set of 16" zildjan K lights..... wow, those things sounded GREAT ! I could only get one set so I went with the Istanbuls, but I will be adding those 16s to my arsenal before long for sure.

blkcortex79

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Picked up a pair of 15" Sabian Groove hats last year.....Love them, gigged them quite a bit and they performed well in my loud 90's grunge/tribute band.

Just got an awesome deal at Cascio thru ebay on a pair of 15" 2oo2 SE hats...and I'm loving them! Had a pair in the early 80's that I can't speak about their demise!! :crybaby:

The 2oo2's are brighter than the Groove hats......Love 'em both......

Angel

Reaction score
andya said:
So I spent the better part of 2 hours at Forks trying pretty much every set of 15s they had in stock. Honestly I loved most of them, but I had to try to remember what I was really looking for, which was something darker, bigger and "washer" than what I had. I settled on a pair of 15" Istanbul Agop Om hats. They have a nice dark, slightly trashy sound... but not too trashy. I love them....then I made the mistake of putting up a set of 16" zildjan K lights..... wow, those things sounded GREAT ! I could only get one set so I went with the Istanbuls, but I will be adding those 16s to my arsenal before long for sure.
From what you were looking for, I think you made a really good choice.

Angel

Reaction score
blkcortex79 said:
Picked up a pair of 15" Sabian Groove hats last year.....Love them, gigged them quite a bit and they performed well in my loud 90's grunge/tribute band.

Just got an awesome deal at Cascio thru ebay on a pair of 15" 2oo2 SE hats...and I'm loving them! Had a pair in the early 80's that I can't speak about their demise!! :crybaby:

The 2oo2's are brighter than the Groove hats......Love 'em both......
I just purchased two 2002 cymbals from Casico thru ebay also. I spoke with them before the purchase and what they told me were the cymbals were never touched by a stick. The were brought in for a Paiste clinic and set up on stands. Afterwards they were allowed to sell them as used and saved me a boatload of cash :)

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If I can work up the cash I'd be interested in some thinner 15s for a breathy sound.

pontiacrich

For Bongo & JM :(
Reaction score
Love 'em!

Have one pair of Zildjians I bought from a forum member, and I love the swash! Just picked up another Zildjian set (heavier I think) off of the bay. Can't wait for them to arrive (scheduled for Monday)!

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use two Wuhan 16" crash (Med and Thin) cymbals for hats...best'hats' I ever had

Best thing...less than $125 new complete

Kanbasher

Reaction score
15" hats are great. I've been using them for a few years now. My go to hats are 2002 sound edges but I also have a set of Giant Beats and a set of Alchemy's. I like the lower pitch & since I'm using larger cymbals in general, it all mixes well together.

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
15" Thin Avedis 50s era hats player here. Love the warmth and sizzle. They're smokin'!

Christian C.

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of 80s brilliant finish 15" Zildjian new beats as my main hi hats. This was my first venture into the world of 15" hats and I've never looked back. They're pretty much perfect in every way. And this is coming from a Paiste guy.

Latest posts