15x12 floor toms?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never loved 16x16 or 18x16 floor toms I've had a cut down 16x16 one to 16x13 and it was great. I would expect the 15x12 to be very similar and probably better.
A big band drummer I know uses the 15x12 and just loves it. Though, my favorite of all the floor toms is still the 14x14. They just sound perfect for jazz/big band to soft rock and blues.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Though, my favorite of all the floor toms is still the 14x14. They just sound perfect for jazz/big band to soft rock and blues."

I agree.
I much prefer my spare 14x14, paired with a 12x9 tom, to the 13x9/15x12 combo that I originally used on that kit...

DSCN2636.JPG

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about how heavy a 12x15 or 12x16 (my big tom) marching snare would be. I'd be hoping for a short parade.
As a quad player, I take offense with the notion that ANY marching snares are heavy ;)

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
15" toms are great, and I wish more manufacturers still made them (are you listening Yamaha?)

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I think I’m gonna do it. I’m very novice when it comes to edges... I’ve got a cabinet that i want to mount a router in, and play around on some scrap wood shells to learn. How different of an animal is it though, cutting edges on FG? Obviously more care is needed to protect your lungs, I’m sure... but is that it?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny ... whenever the subject of 15” FTs comes up, everyone who has them seems to LOVE them. I sure do.

cletus72

Reaction score
I had a 15x12 converted floor tom for years. Slingerland Blakrome 24/13/15. A matching 16x16 popped up so I grabbed it. The 16 never sounded as good as the 15.

pbloxam

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
15×12 as a rack tom with 16x18 and 18x20 floor tom (only 18×20 in pic) Ordered this kit in 1977..Sounds great tuned low 12×15 not so much tuned high...
Still have it..

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double bass 6-piece! :love4:
I like it, pbloxam! :thumbright:

Rufus T Firefly

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 70s Slingerland kit came with 8x12, 9x13, 10x14 & 12x15" mounted toms and a 16x18" floor tom. My previous kit had two floor toms and I liked that, so at some point I put the 12x15 in a cradle. It did the job quite well. The 15 & 18 on the floor made a nice combination. I recently purchased, restored and rewrapped a 70s Slingerland 16x16" floor to match and put the 15 back on the stand. The only picture of it that I have is from when I temporarily converted the 18" floor into a bass drum and used it with the mounted 12" and the 15" on the floor.
Slingy small kit.jpg

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny ... whenever the subject of 15” FTs comes up, everyone who has them seems to LOVE them. I sure do.
Yes, it's odd. Most threads seem to be dominated by people who have no hands-on experience of the subject, in particular if you ask about Tune-Bots or traditional grip ;-)

jeffintampa

Reaction score
Who’s using one? How do you like it?
I have a 15x14 floor Tom in my corder kit, and it’s great, but the 12” depth scares me away from using this other drum as a floor Tom.
The drum in question is a fiberglass pearl concert tom. I want to build a double bass setup akin to what Nick Mason used during the Pompeii era... I can’t find ludwigs that don’t cost an arm and a leg, and I have these naked FG pearl shells. I figured a silver sparkle pearl FG double kick setup is cool, even without the Pink Floyd connection... but I want something cool to use in my Floyd tribute band.
Anyway, he had two different bass drum sizes, and 12-13-14-16 toms. I dislike the use of a 14” floor Tom unless the larger rack Tom is a 12”
Going from 13 to 14 in a drum fill just doesn’t please my ears...

Anyway, is anyone out there getting a good floor Tom sound out of a 15x12?
I thought about using the 15x12 and the 16x14 concert toms, with edges and lugs added to the reso side, as a dual FT setup with these, but I worry that I just won’t like the 12” depth for a floor Tom. It seems very “DW-ish” and I think guys have had luck with shallow floor toms from Dw...
What would a FG pearl shell act like in that size, though, I wonder?

I might just run this kit with only one ft, being the 16x16 that I also have (shown in pic) and wait it out until I find an 18” floor
Who’s using one? How do you like it?
I have a 15x14 floor Tom in my corder kit, and it’s great, but the 12” depth scares me away from using this other drum as a floor Tom.
The drum in question is a fiberglass pearl concert tom. I want to build a double bass setup akin to what Nick Mason used during the Pompeii era... I can’t find ludwigs that don’t cost an arm and a leg, and I have these naked FG pearl shells. I figured a silver sparkle pearl FG double kick setup is cool, even without the Pink Floyd connection... but I want something cool to use in my Floyd tribute band.
Anyway, he had two different bass drum sizes, and 12-13-14-16 toms. I dislike the use of a 14” floor Tom unless the larger rack Tom is a 12”
Going from 13 to 14 in a drum fill just doesn’t please my ears...

Anyway, is anyone out there getting a good floor Tom sound out of a 15x12?
I thought about using the 15x12 and the 16x14 concert toms, with edges and lugs added to the reso side, as a dual FT setup with these, but I worry that I just won’t like the 12” depth for a floor Tom. It seems very “DW-ish” and I think guys have had luck with shallow floor toms from Dw...
What would a FG pearl shell act like in that size, though, I wonder?

I might just run this kit with only one ft, being the 16x16 that I also have (shown in pic) and wait it out until I find an 18” floor
My first kit was only snare in '61, 20" bass and 12" rack in '66. No FT. After 50 years and many kits, I found a Ludwig 12x15 gold sparkle old tenor drum on Ebay. Since it is impossible to find a classic 14x14, I recycled it. Its Club Date so the lugs match my Jazz Festival snare. A lot of those old marchers getting new life out there. L

jeffintampa

Reaction score
My first kit was only snare in '61, 20" bass and 12" rack in '66. No FT. After 50 years and many kits, I found a Ludwig 12x15 gold sparkle old tenor drum on Ebay. Since it is impossible to find a classic 14x14, I recycled it. Its Club Date so the lugs match my Jazz Festival snare. A lot of those old marchers getting new life out there. L

Attachments

boomstick

Reaction score
I think it's the perfect floor tom size when you have just one floor tom, and is a nice combo of tone and growl. Tune them up a bit much more tone, or down a bit and much more growl. But when you find that compromise tuning right in the middle, PERFECT!!!!
This sums up my feelings about my 15x13 very well. I'm kind of surprised that 15's aren't more popular, but I guess most people don't get an opportunity to play them.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My preference is a 14 or 15. 16's too far, for my purposes. I have two 12x15s, a 5-ply Slingerland that's currently set up as a small bass, and a 3-ply maple Ludwig converted tenor. Love 'em both.

Reactions: TPC

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's odd. Most threads seem to be dominated by people who have no hands-on experience of the subject, in particular if you ask about Tune-Bots or traditional grip ;-)
I get it - a self-selecting group, blah blah

But I do sense a certain enthusiasm for 15’s that I rarely get with 14’s, 16’s or 18’s.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The FT is a 3 ply parade snare conversion. I sent it up to Precision and had the bearing edges redone. This is the best sounding FT I have ever owned.

IMG_0619.JPG