16” bass drum added to Slingerland

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I had been asking questions and researching a 16” bass drum to add to my Slingerland set. This is the set that I gig with most frequently and have so for about 40 years. They are five ply’s from 1981. Original set is 14x20, 14x14, 8x12, 10x10 and 5 1/2 x 14 spitfire. I tried adding bass drums before and was most happy with a Slingerland 3ply in a similar finish. The original is rosewood veneer but the 3ply is a mahogany(?) lacquer. Ive posted pictures of these before and will include something below. I ended up deciding to order a new 16” bass from Stubblefield drums in Charlotteville Va. I was impressed with John‘s work and he is reasonable. He was very easy to communicate with. We first emailed in January and I got back to him in May. His price was the same and he was raring to go. He was very agreeable to my wishes. So now he is into making the drum. When it comes in or as the process goes along I’ll update you.

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's going to look GREAT! good choice all around. I've never played a 16" bass drum but I know they are really catching on big time.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's going to look GREAT! good choice all around. I've never played a 16" bass drum but I know they are really catching on big time.
Thanks! I want it for small venues and light carry ins. I still love the 18” and the 20” which I don’t use as often.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I dig that you have used a slingerland kit for 40 years!! They look killer and that new 16” is indeed easier to load in. I just used my slingerland 16” converted floor tom as a bass drum for polka/german gigs, and it is really easy to load. sounds fine too.

What It Is

Reaction score
Great looking drum! I've been messing with a 14x16 and I find that it has a lot of varieties to play with. I'm obviously not playing amped up rock music, but I've found that the 16 can hold it's own quite well. Hope it plays well for you. Going to keep the Evans 56's? No lift I imagine either? Congrats on the drum.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great looking drum! I've been messing with a 14x16 and I find that it has a lot of varieties to play with. I'm obviously not playing amped up rock music, but I've found that the 16 can hold it's own quite well. Hope it plays well for you. Going to keep the Evans 56's? No lift I imagine either? Congrats on the drum.
I’ve got a vintage Slingerland calf. If the collar is right I might use that. If not I’ll probably get another natural skin. I have a riser. We’ll see with that. In general I like to keep things simple

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a vintage Slingerland calf. If the collar is right I might use that. If not I’ll probably get another natural skin. I have a riser. We’ll see with that. In general I like to keep things simple. In general one of the things I like about natural skin is the variability. It’s always changing and I like the varieties of sound.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I do recommend the riser. I think getting the drum up off the ground helps it project, as well as letting the beater hit closer to center.

What It Is

Reaction score
I do recommend the riser. I think getting the drum up off the ground helps it project, as well as letting the beater hit closer to center.
I get that, and I've used one before. I've never been sold that the difference in projection is worth the scratches on the drum that the riser often brings. If I'm using a 16 or an 18, depending on the music, I'm looking for pulse not necessarily projection. I'd just use a bigger drum if I wanted projection, or a microphone.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I get that, and I've used one before. I've never been sold that the difference in projection is worth the scratches on the drum that the riser often brings. If I'm using a 16 or an 18, depending on the music, I'm looking for pulse not necessarily projection. I'd just use a bigger drum if I wanted projection, or a microphone.
What would be really hip is a riser that let you adjust the height of the drum.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The drum is supposed to arrive on Sunday. I have my first “gig” since March 14 on Sunday. We are playing a porch concert jazz quartet. I hope the new drum comes in. It would be great to try it there.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is a photo of the drum in the setup. Ill get some better photos and/ or video in a day or Two.
3FE871E8-F6D4-4F6F-B5AD-45811FD427C5.jpeg

Latest posts