16" bass drum subtle muffling...

markkarj

Reaction score
live custom.jpg

I have a 16" Yamaha Live Custom tom that I'm using as a bass drum. I'm generally playing some softer jazz with it.

My question is about suggested muffling for the drum. I have Powerstroke 3 heads (coated batter, clear display), and am using a Vater bomber beater. It has a very warm tone, but just a tad too much resonance.... even with the powerstrokes and their built-in muffling.

Any of my previous solutions would likely kill the warmth of the drum. Would you have any very subtle recommendations to offer?

cdrummer

Reaction score
The kit in my profile pic has a 16" bass drum, and I've found the following to work, each with their own drawbacks:

- Felt attached to the head with duct tape - good result sonically, stays on, but looks ugly
- Moongel - sounds good, looks good, but falls off after a while
- Felt strip under the head - sounds good, looks good, stays in place, but not adjustable without taking the head off

Another permanent solution could be super gluing felt strips under the head, as Aquarian does with some of their bass drum heads.

markkarj

Reaction score
What about one of the old school external mufflers?

I have, although it kills it just a bit too much.

I found some Evans mufflers that attach to the hoop and then the head. It seems like one has taken just enough of the resonance off the drum, but still left it with a very rich tone.

I was also thinking of one of these guys, but it might be overkill as well: https://www.long-mcquade.com/191348...TppOi9xgdWjGWyVopDXRKazPXxQy0mixoC6pQQAvD_BwE

I realize I'm being very nit picky... enough tone, but not too much ring/resonance. I'm hard to please :/

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I saw Steve Smith playing his Sonor with a 16” kick at a clinic. Went up and checked it out afterwards. He came over and gave me the setup. Coated Ambos front and rear. Felt strips for muffling. No holes. Said you can’t loose air volume. Did that on my Hipgig. Never went back!!

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After much experimentation, I settled on two methods for muffling the 16" bass drum on my Metro Jam kit (both heads intact):

1. putting a bunch of styrofoam peanuts inside

IMG_8074.JPG

2. using a Remo muffl ring (this is not my kit, but it shows a muffl ring in a 16" Metro Jam kick)

MetroJam-Colorado2020-002.jpg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my Gretsch SSB 14x16 converted bass, I use a super kick batter and a fiberskyn reso. No muffling or padding. Gives me a really nice low vintage boomy tone. It will fill a large room with no problem.

On my 12 x 16 vintage KB Ludwig bass marching drum conversion, I have a coated ambassador reso and a clear instripe batter (not ideal but all I have right now) with a 3-inch felt strip on the batter side. Nice fat tone but it's tight and thuddy. Neither have any vent holes.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd use a thinner type of head with something that small (so that you don't really choke it) and then use a felt strip on batter head. Try the strip on the outside of the head too...

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would ditch the PS3 batter. A powerstroke is a pretty muffled head already, but due to the ring-shaped muffling agent, ome modes of vibration aren't muffled as well as others. Adding a felt strip on top might be too much for that small a drum. With a more open head such as coated Ambassador, see above, you can add a felt strip for that asymmetrical muffling effect (allfrequencies shortened evenly) and still have some character. You can always add more muffling if it to open.

Some variants of mimimal muffling of a coated Ambassador:
1) towel behind the pedal (not as easy if the drum is on a riser)
2)(piece of) felt strip glued on
3) moleskin patch glued on at impact spot (softens the attack, muffles some overtones)
4) paper tissue taped to the head (loosely so it comes off upon louder hits).

Boy_Narf

Reaction score
I've been playing a 16" export floor tom as a kick for years now. I use the smallest roll of the pink panther insulation inside the kick (barely touches both skins). The drum is short and punchy and honestly sounds like it's mixed on a recording.

For less dampening I usually get some of that cheap foam (the stuff people think is good for wall absorption) and experiment with different amounts inside the kick. Just make sure it's not touching either of the skins. You can use a bit of double stick tape or velcro to keep it in place. Just having something inside the kick to absorb some of the sound waves can really help to take the edge off.

stick2it

Reaction score
My 16" bass drum (maple Sonor) is wide open - no muffling. It's too small a drum to muffle -- it would kill it -- and its pitch and overtones sit high enough to not get in the way.

Similarly, I use single-ply heads (my preference is Aquarian "texture coated" single ply, but Remo Ambassadors are pretty much the same head); a thicker or double-ply head or a head with integrated muffling will also kill the drum.

It's only 16"!

But that's what I do; you might find what works for you in this video in which various tuning/dampening techniques are compared for a 16 bd:

Tuning a 16 Inch Bass Drum for 3 Different Styles

See also the DFO thread 18" Bass Drum - Wide Open.

Experiment until it's right for you. And have someone play it while you‘re ”in the audience" so you know what's being projected.

Last edited: