16" Bass Drums

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Blair. That's the Floor Tom You sold me.

What's A M mean.

all mahogany/ they slipped some Birch in there at times. when Mahog supply ran dry) nevermind
think it was 76 when birch started reappearing)
African Mahogany?

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Little known fact: Phil Rudd’s 16” bass drums were made of alternating plies of Armenian Cherry and Dominican Cherry.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a 16" bass drum that I converted from a 1970s (I think) 3-ply Slingerland concert tom, eventually put lugs a wood hoop on the open resonant side. It's a raw and messy mahogany "finish" because a previous owner stripped the wrap off.

I want to put a cymbal holder mount on it but don't know what location is best. Any thoughts? Right on top? At 2:00? I'm using 1920s clamp on spurs, and maybe that's a problem. But I'm won't put anything bigger than a 17" cymbal on it, it that.

Rick Jones1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 16x16 Ludwig that I bought off Ebay years ago, I still haven't gotten around to recovering it. It already had the spurs and tom holder mounted when I bought it. I added a small riser rod that also has the mount for kick drum pedal. I have a microphone permanently mounted inside and a XLR jack on the shell so I can plug it into the PA since it doesn't have a lot of low end.

IMG_20180901_152334645_HDR.jpg

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
(I) put it off to the side leave the center for a tom mount someday/never/
~~~~~~~~~~~`

remember Chico Hamilton the daddy of the baby bass..
Done! 17" cymbal makes it sort of tippy though not when I put a Pearl Eliminator pedal on it (not a pedal that leaves the house 'cause it doesn't fold up. Wasn't the folding pedal Ludwig's big contribution in 1909 or so?). So maybe I'll get some sturdier spurs and drill some more holes in this shell....

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
come october for octoberfest gigs, i plan on trying my 16” slingerland floortom as a bd. These gigs need little volume and i used a beat-up pearl forum floortom last year. just got rid of that drum and will try the slingerland.

hauling it is easy! didnt even use a bag or case.

gkrk

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
come october for octoberfest gigs, i plan on trying my 16” slingerland floortom as a bd. These gigs need little volume and i used a beat-up pearl forum floortom last year. just got rid of that drum and will try the slingerland.

hauling it is easy! didnt even use a bag or case.
I played a private gig, R. Crumb jazz, this evening with my 16" Slingerland converted-to-bass drum and didn't use a case for it (but everything else was cased or bagged), but was thinking on the drive to the gig that a hard case might make sense, or maybe a bag. The gig was a Southern Vermont classic retirement party in a wood working shop for post and beam house frames, down a dirt road. Great people and a really nice gig.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using the red bass above, put the cymbal holder in the middle between the first right and 2nd right lugs. The "X" is off a little but take the 4 lugs off (marked in black) and measure diagonally and that's your center point.

B.jpg

Rick Jones1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I might add a cymbal holder when I get around to recovering it.