16" gretsch shell / SPECiAL

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Just landed this 14x16 gretsch round badge rope tension field snare drum....
Look at that original finish....60s 6 ply shell..natural Maple lacquer nitrocellulose finish
12x16 bass drum time?!
Orange tag reads SPECiAL

Attachments

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I'm definitely grateful and drooling all at the same time.
I definitely want to make a bass drum out of it and the shell is just under 16 I believe it's of 15 and 7/8.. which means it would be great to wrap or to leave as is

and the shell is thin of course
I wish it was a thick bass drum shell that is actually making me contemplate if I want to make a bass drum out of it or not

What a find though what's no lug or Hardware holes at all except for snare and butt plate

hatandbeard

Reaction score
This was the only one that I was able to get and I think this is the only one there's got to be another one out there somewhere but sadly it was just this one

hatandbeard

Reaction score
The drum basically looks like it had one owner and it was barely played and well-loved and it took forever to undo all of the Rope tension which was of course threaded through specially drilled holes through the hoops.
The bearing edges are beautiful and the snare beds are very shallow.
Even if someone wanted to make a 14x16 or 13x16 they can easily plug the small original holes needed to be plugged where the snare throw off and butt plate were.
The side that is closest to the badge would not be needed to be recut whatsoever. Only the side that is closest to the throw off and butt plate would need to be recut.
And these hoops at 3-ply and they easily could be sanded and used and even have inlay cut and channeled and even where the snare bed areas are cut out in the Hoops I'm sure somebody could make simple maple caps to fill those in.. then Prime them and paint them and yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Who's good at making Gretsch style bass drums?

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Cuz i made a nerdy unboxn vid

Attachments

hatandbeard

Reaction score
The throw off is in excellent condition and pretty much unused as well as the butt plate and the original gut strings look brand new.. those will be all up for sale

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Actually now that I see what it is, rope tension and all, I wouldnt mess wit it. Drilling and putting all that hardware on it would be a shame in my opinion.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Actually now that I see what it is, rope tension and all, I wouldnt mess wit it. Drilling and putting all that hardware on it would be a shame in my opinion.
Really? A shell collecting dust that is such a good candidate for a bass drum or floor tom :) !?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
its a great rope tension drum! It just hadn't found the right person yet. You could easily get another shell for a floor tom or bass drum. Ie. Concert tom etc. this drum really appears to be unique.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice find! I would NOT cut it. Just make it a bass at the current size....on 2nd thought, if you want, then cut it - once you add lugs, etc., the value of the drum is out the window. Might as well customize it.....

I have a 14x16 SSB bass (I believe was cut down from a 16x16 FT, as I got it, and has the edges, bass hoops, etc.), and it's a perfect size. Can go bop or with the right heads (I use fiberskyn reso, super kick batter) and a mike, can do much more.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I already have a 14 by 16 modern Drum Shop nesting bass drum that I'm selling I really want a 12 by 16...

Also this was on eBay and Reverb for a long time and I'm shocked no one bought it so as much as I respect tradition this is also an ultimate shell

hatandbeard

Reaction score
No I can't just easily get another shell.. and I don't see how the values going to change if I cut it and make it into a badass bass drum that everyone's going to want
I figured all if you would be freakishly happy for this find and the builders opportunity

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sure am excited for this project. I think it's great. Just going to cut 2" off of the end w/ snare beds?
What about Pratts?

I think you'd have to be crazy to refinish this drum, though. That nitro looks to be in nice shape. Such mojo.
What toms are you playing this with?