16" gretsch shell / SPECiAL

Reaction score
I have a 14x16 SSB bass (I believe was cut down from a 16x16 FT, as I got it, and has the edges, bass hoops, etc.), and it's a perfect size. Can go bop or with the right heads (I use fiberskyn reso, super kick batter) and a mike, can do much more.
JazzDrumGuy,

Was that the Black Nitron drum that was advertised on CH a few years ago from a seller in NYC? You beat me to it, after a few too many seconds of thought... I jumped but was too late. Congrats! But if you ever choose to sell, PLEEEEEASE give me a call?

Thanks,
MSG

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy,

Was that the Black Nitron drum that was advertised on CH a few years ago from a seller in NYC? You beat me to it, after a few too many seconds of thought... I jumped but was too late. Congrats! But if you ever choose to sell, PLEEEEEASE give me a call?

Thanks,
MSG
Hey Nom, no it wasn't. I bought it off DFO and the seller lived in the Bay Area. He got the kid from an Old Bay Area Jazz guy who had passed. That guy had rewrap them and made the kid and this guy had it for a handful of years. It's a great little Bop kit with an 8 by 12 up and an 11 by 13 floor tom we wrapped in Tangerine Sparkle. I have a matching round badge snare.

20191207_112931.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Listen in 68 someone commissioned those drums (I assume there may have been more than one..) for some special (duh) event or "group" of "lodgers"..
But I don't "think" it's that "special".

If it seems it will make a good sturdy bass do it.

You won't be sacrilegious-ing anything.
It was marked 'special" because "some one in Western Pa." (or somewhere)
wants us to make rope drums for his "Civil War reenactment ceremony".. nothing more than that

Last edited:

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I sure am excited for this project. I think it's great. Just going to cut 2" off of the end w/ snare beds?
What about Pratts?

I think you'd have to be crazy to refinish this drum, though. That nitro looks to be in nice shape. Such mojo.
What toms are you playing this with?
Yeah I'm doing my best to hear everybody's thoughts and advice pros and cons doing my best to be open I promise promise promise but yes I'm really thinking 13 x 16 or 12 x 16 and if it all works out to where I can have the right size with the right finished bearing Edge, matching of course, and chop everything off as far as the throw off and butt plate holes, to where I don't have to worry about plugging those holes etc, then yep!..otherwise we'll see I haven't done any exact measurements yet..
And yes ultimately there's no way that I should cover this and if I want to down the line I can but it does look really great and it's probably going to sound and sing much better wide open with no glue or plastic wrap over it and again much easier luthier job getting everything up and running without having to use glue and wrap. I sadly passed up on a set of Gretsch nitrocellulose Maple Hoops like a fool a month ago and I knew I was going to find a Shell like this I just knew it..but there's a good chance I may be able to get them as I'm talking to the guy in New Jersey who bought them that is telling me he has a lot of stuff which is always good news..and I just got a message from Gretsch and they were very cool, in fact rather it came from a DW person, in regards to meet ordering Hoops for it. Should work out aok wishfully. in fact I sent a general message from the Gretsch website page and somebody from Oxnard California called me back within like 11 minutes!?
¡¿☆♡

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Listen in 68 someone commissioned those drums (I assume there may have been more than one..) for some special (duh) event or "group" of "lodgers"..
But I don't "think" it's that "special".

If it seems make a good sturdy bass do it.

You won't be sacrilegious-ing anything.
It was marked 'special" because some nut in south Western Pa. (or somewhere in upstate NY)
wants us to make rope drums for his "Bushy Run reenactment ceremony".. Nothing more than that
I appreciate all of you and I really appreciate this site and always have ☆♡
...and I couldn't help but feel the same as the statement you just made here about this particular drum.. not kidding that's exactly what I thought when I saw it
..and I figured that's why it had been sitting for over a month on eBay and reverb. I was shocked that it hadn't sold but there is very few pictures with little information and titled not too specifically..
.. and please understand I have a friend who's in a bunch of metal bands that teaches amazing drum lessons that's also in I want to say the Chicago Highlanders Pipe & drums/ and I did think of him yelling at me, but then vintage drum shop he teaches out of, the two brothers that run it, would probably say ohhh I don't know looks like bass drum time. He might too ;)
..and the fella that sold it to me actually told me he listed it twice and thought he ended the first listing
..I figured it's cool and legit and all for the obvious reasons it should be left as is but something kept telling me to message the guy. I kept saying it's going to sit and disappear or someone else is going to turn it into a bass drum/someone may not use it in the way it is intended anyway/and I imagined to the throw off either works like a charm having not been used in a million years,which is basically what is the case :), or it was seized and broken per usual and probably only got a very small amount of playtime.
.. when I asked him to look inside and see if it was silver and if there was an orange tag/and then he took a picture and it said special and he didn't really seem to think much of it I made him an offer and he said a okay.
.. he has a bunch of stuff for sale specifically I think a collection of Paiste sound formulas things like that if I recall no joke. I told him to get on the site here and post them up for sale after he says hello to some of the pages etc.
.. these gut strings are freaking amazing I really want to use them but probably let them go as well. Been checking out some of what's out there to compare prices.
Blaaaaaaah. Yaap. Lots to chat bout

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Nice find! I would NOT cut it. Just make it a bass at the current size....on 2nd thought, if you want, then cut it - once you add lugs, etc., the value of the drum is out the window. Might as well customize it.....

I have a 14x16 SSB bass (I believe was cut down from a 16x16 FT, as I got it, and has the edges, bass hoops, etc.), and it's a perfect size. Can go bop or with the right heads (I use fiberskyn reso, super kick batter) and a mike, can do much more.
I totally hear you absolutely and if it wasn't for the fact that I used to have a Gretsch us Maple ebony satin oil 16 x 18 .. I loved it and it sounded great and the shell was super thin but I actually started to realize I preferred shorter depths after having that drum and I want to say my first gretsch us Maple had a 16 x 18 bass drum as well and that was in a natural Maple satin oil..((for the record I had issues with satin oil finishes and got refunds from both DW and Gretsch and have since always gone with wraps or lacquers even if it means taking an extra two years to wait and save money.. happy to tell that story in another thread someday/both companies were freaking outstanding in helping out and the drum pad that used to be in Palatine Illinois helped out tremendously as did the music center in Kenosha Wisconsin))
..and the fact that I've had two 14 x 16 modern Drum Shop nesting bass drums one made from an early 70s Gretsch 16 x 16 stop sign shell that was a little thicker (sold rexently for a good dollar locally) and one made from a 7 ply Maple pork pie shell (which is currently sitting in pristine condition ready for sale), I would consider keeping it that size for all the same obvious reasons.. I had both these 14 x 16 modern Drum Shop nesting bass drums outfitted with Gretsch reverse roundover bearing edges/and no reinforcement hoops on the 7-ply pork pie shell/badass to say the least.
.. yeah I am thinking customization
.. and with me being such a Gretsch nerd and letting people know all the time and me selling so much stuff since 2013 after a few tragedies; everyone always asks me for 16 inch Gretsch Shells/most likely for projects like this, it's pretty wild.
Certainly have had a few people more than a few reach out and ask about the shell and if I'm keeping it :)

Last edited:

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Yeah I'm doing my best to hear everybody's thoughts and advice pros and cons doing my best to be open I promise promise promise but yes I'm really thinking 13 x 16 or 12 x 16 and if it all works out to where I can have the right size with the right finished bearing Edge, matching of course, and chop everything off as far as the throw off and butt plate holes, to where I don't have to worry about plugging those holes etc, then yep!..otherwise we'll see I haven't done any exact measurements yet..
And yes ultimately there's no way that I should cover this and if I want to down the line I can but it does look really great and it's probably going to sound and sing much better wide open with no glue or plastic wrap over it and again much easier luthier job getting everything up and running without having to use glue and wrap. I sadly passed up on a set of Gretsch nitrocellulose Maple Hoops like a fool a month ago and I knew I was going to find a Shell like this I just knew it..but there's a good chance I may be able to get them as I'm talking to the guy in New Jersey who bought them that is telling me he has a lot of stuff which is always good news..and I just got a message from Gretsch and they were very cool, in fact rather it came from a DW person, in regards to meet ordering Hoops for it. Should work out aok wishfully. in fact I sent a general message from the Gretsch website page and somebody from Oxnard California called me back within like 11 minutes!?
¡¿☆♡
Oh and as far as Pratt Muffler I did find an 18in one on eBay that I should just buy but I'm actually thinking about putting one of the TomTom mufflers on in the same exact place in the correct positioning

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Throw off and gut wires and butt plate.
both butt plate and throw off are in excellent condition.
and the gut strings are in excellent shape and actually I bet they sound amazing.
And from the looks of it it looks like it has four Factory extra holes of which all matching Hardware and one of the screws is a little shorter.
These extra for holes or just above the regular two holes for the butt plate.
Also makes me think this drum could have been made on a Monday or Friday.
Maybe an alternate butt plate for gut strings could have been installed if that was something that was done I'm not sure.

Attachments

hatandbeard

Reaction score
My drum set
14x18 gretsch drop g i think? Early 70s orange paper tag. Black rewrap done okay. Edges are beautiful. Original Hoops are in beautiful condition. Inside reveals putty extra holes from other Spurs. Drum has no vent hole anymore was puttied Over. Most people freak out over the sound of this bass drum at any tuning at any volume. Bought it on eBay seems like a good number of years and years ago. Factory tie rods and I'm forgetting if there was a factory Pratt muffler on there I have to see if there's holes puddied. Factory Tech wear Spurs which I love.
14x18 Gretsch late 70s early 80s early USA custom Square badge from the original owner in almost mint condition. All the original parts all in original great condition. Natural Maple lacquer nitrocellulose. Beautiful bearing edges..no dings except for a couple Marks here n there that pretty much go unnoticeable..no extra holes no modifications no gouges no splits no rash. I want to keep it but I also want to sell it for a lot of money. Silver sealer and silver n white paper tag as you would imagine. Factory T rods and Factory Pratt Muffler and Factory techwear Spurs which are my favorite Spurs. Sounds insanely amazing as you would imagine.
14x14 60s Gretsch round badge floor tom with the wrap removed and it looks like the wrap had been removed years and years ago because there's an amazing natural patina that has kind of hardened and the Finish is in great condition and oh my gosh is the sound just incredible. I bought a set of Repro legs from Lee ruff and have a set of Maxwell Repro legs for it as well. Silver silver and orange paper tag as you would imagine. Edges are beautiful. Original tension rods in Originals tension rods and chubby washers.
8x12 Gretsch round badge TomTom silver sealer no orange tag original diecast rims 3-ply sounds like a 6 ply. Edges are beautiful. Came from the original owner had been sitting in an attic. Original tension rods and chubby washers. Original Duco blue silver blue finish which is hazing and crackling and flaking. Sounds ridiculous as you can imagine.
6.5x14 canopus zelkova snare drum. The only snare I own. The greatest snare drum I personally have ever played on and owned. Couple dings and bumps and bruises here and they're all very very minor. I'd like to sell it so I can order one if not two custom 7.5 x 14 canopus zelkova snares. Yes...
Selling the Ludwig super classic 20 12 16 5x14 Supra. From the original owner very clean blue sparkle. Lots of extras.
Selling the Gretsch 14 x 20 3-ply broadcaster 1946 bass drum with original hoops. Drum has extra holes but otherwise is in great condition with great edges and the Hoops are in round and probably also 3-ply. Faded yellowed White Marine Pearl.
Selling the modern Drum Shop NYC 14 x 16 nesting bass drum Blue Glass glitter. 7 ply pork pie shell.
Selling a small grip of my Sabian sound control and Sabian Flange Ride collection.
I should keep my nagara drums that I bought from the nagara drummer that was playing with Jonny Greenwood and opening for Radiohead but considering selling those too.
Otherwise I don't own anything else and I really prefer extreme minimalism. I'm only keeping a small amount of cymbals otherwise. Also experienced three or four tragedies if not five all in a row back-to-back since 2013 all the way up till now getting back to zero Clearing House lots of stories to share down the line.
I'd like a 13 x 18 or 12 x 18 Gretsch vintage build out as well either from them brand new but I put spring loaded vintage lugs on it or I make one or find one. Preferably nitron nitrocellulose lacquer.
I've had matching kits of course but lately I prefer mix-matched colors Jellybean however you want to call it.

Attachments

Last edited:

hatandbeard

Reaction score
I'll be able to use this Mount Tom and this floor tom when I get the 16 inch bass drum going.
Would I love to have another Gretsch round badge 8 X 12 and 14 X 14? Yes.... for as much as I adore minimalism I do like having two of everything so I can wake up and immediately practice rolling out of bed that type of thing as well as having an identical set ready to go packed up for gigs.
I'm actually excited to have a rail consolette.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Some drums man, think you're at maximum
recommended dosage, better lay off ;

Last edited:

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Looking like for me to avoid those holes I would have to make it a 10 or 11 deep so looks like I'll either keep those holes there or have somebody plug them professionally and try and match the finish if possible.. maybe see if somebody has Gretsch natural Maple lacquer nitrocellulose shell plugs.. those holes lay right where I would want it to be for a 12 or 13 inch depth

ThomasL

Reaction score
If you cut it down, you can make your own plugs from the scrap piece using a drill press and a barrel drill bit.

hatandbeard

Reaction score
Anybody want the original hoops and nylon gut strings, leather earlets, rope and throw off and butt plate?
All are for sale

Latest posts